Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New View My Broadband Usage layout

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

New View My Broadband Usage layout

HI Folks,
As from next Tuesday 7th June you'll notice a few changes to your 'View My Broadband Usage pages' on the website. Here's a sneak preview...
Jojo Smiley
66 REPLIES 66
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Re: New View My Broadband Usage layout

Thanks for the preview Jojo.  It looks a much clearer page. Smiley
anniesboy
Rising Star

I did not see this heads up, the new layout seems very easy to view / understand .
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great job !  Smiley
I thought the old version was good enough but the new version is clearer and easier to understand.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I prefer the blue used in the 'Usage Breakdown' chart rather than the paler one used elsewhere.
I notice the overnight usage legend is pale blue but the overnight usage bar on the chart is darker blue Undecided
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Dom
Grafter

Thanks for the heads up. I've just logged in, and I like the way it tells me me my usage in a nice, clear way on the front page.
gswindale
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
I prefer the blue used in the 'Usage Breakdown' chart rather than the paler one used elsewhere.
I notice the overnight usage legend is pale blue but the overnight usage bar on the chart is darker blue Undecided

Agreed - the darker blue is easier to view against the white background - could this be rolled out across the board please?
WWWombat
Grafter

Agreed - the lighter blue is much harder to contrast against white - in fact, at first glance I couldn't see it.
The dark blue is infinitely better.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
coastergrotto
Grafter

I do like the appearance but I wish on the main page it displayed both Peak and Overnight usage as it used to.    You have to hit the 'Usage this month' button to display this.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

thats my only complaint, the missing numbers for peak and off peak on the one week part, we get enough complaints from not withit customers not understanding peak and off peak, I think this will scare them even more
Epyon
Grafter

The peek and off peek should be a more bold colour maybe a darker blue for offpeak
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Guys,
Useful comments there. I'll feed that back.
Jojo Smiley
Andrew_B
Grafter

Hi,
Thanks for your feedback so far.  The new design is based heavily on customer comments recorded on the VMBU support page (which was being used as a means to feedback on the tool itself rather than the support information) so I'm pleased to see that the majority are happy with the changes!
We'll be making some tweaks to the new design next week including changing the overnight colour to the darker blue you can see on the Usage breakdown page.
Quote from: pierre_pierre
thats my only complaint, the missing numbers for peak and off peak on the one week part, we get enough complaints from not withit customers not understanding peak and off peak, I think this will scare them even more

The numbers have been removed because they were a big cause of the confusion.  Most customers just want to know about their allowance and how much of it they've used, which is the direction we've gone in.
The overnight info is still available for those that are interested (just a click away), but the main focus is now the allowance, billing period and usage.
hadden
Grafter

I'm on Premier Option 1.
For me, under the big total monthly usage figure, figures for peak usage and off-peak usage are included, which would be useful.
However, these totals only include the usage for the current week, starting Monday 6th June.
It doesn't tie in with the weekly usage on the Usage This Month page, as the weeks there start  on a Sunday.
Nor does it tie in with my invoice date which is the 15th on the month.
Anonymous
Not applicable

If further changes are being considered for the VMBU page, can I make a suggestion for an improvement that I would find useful.
I suspect that most people who go to the VMBU page actually want to know the proportion of their monthly allowance used, rather than the absolute figure of GB used.
Currently in a typical month, the total paid for downloads I actually use, closely matches the allowance on my broadband package.  However towards the end of the monthly billing period I start to check the VMBU more closely so that I can change my browsing habits if I am in any danger of exceeding my allowance limit for the last day or two.  This involves doing some simple maths to work out exactly where I am, now while this is easy to do, it would be even nicer if the VMBU page would do it for me.
I am NOT suggesting removing the "This month you've used 12.3GB of your 45GB allowance", because that fact is very useful.
So my suggestion would be to add two small side-by-side usage bars, directly under the headline usage figure.
The top bar showing a simple percentage of elapsed time through the current billing period.
The lower bar shows the percentage of usage of the "paid for" monthly allowance (taking into account any added top-ups !).
Then you would be able to see at a glance at any point in the billing month whether your usage was behind or ahead of your pro-rata download rate.
This could be enhanced further if the lower bar changed colour depending on whether you were behind or exceeding of your pro-rate usage, maybe blue for below and red for exceeding.