Home Phone price changes - October 2012

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Home Phone price changes - October 2012

Quote from: Sir
Quote from: alanf

Will there be a Line Rental Saver offer after 28th October? If so what will be the new cost?

Can't believe this wasn't included in the email. It will make a big difference to any decision.

There's a reference to Line Rental saver in the emails sent to customers who are opted in to receiving marketing information from us. Having said that there's little mention of the line rental saver price after October.
Quote from: Sir
So how much will I have to pay in December for the next 12months?

The price will be increasing in line with the monthly rental charges, however it will still be significantly cheaper when compared to a monthly contract.
Quote from: Petard
OK, Bob.
Would PN be willing to offer a pro-rata refund on the Line Rental Saver in the event it did happen?
This would reassure subscribers taking up this offer – and since no such merger is in prospect, it would cost you absolutely nothing.

Just to be clear, when I said ...
Quote from: Bob
As I said in the original thread, no there are no plans to do this.

... I was talking about the suggestion that BT had plans to merge PN with their own operations.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Petard
Rising Star

Just to be clear, when I said ...
As I said in the original thread, no there are no plans to do this.

... I was talking about the suggestion that BT had plans to merge PN with their own operations.

So was I, Bob.
The fact of your e-mail coming from a BT address has made me reflect on how close PN is to BT and how long it will remain a separate operation. I observe that PN's line rental is going up sooner and by more than BT's (by £1 vs 85p, in October instead of January), which, if I did not have your assurance, I might suspect could be a move to bring prices into line before such a merger.
Who knows what BT's directors talk about informally on the golf course? And how many companies, taken over by larger ones in the same line, remain independent indefinitely?
I was on the point of signing up for LRS – but I am hesitating now – since you offer no refund, even pro-rata, if one leaves before the year is up. So the question was, would you offer such a refund, pro-rata, if one leaves because one suddenly finds oneself back with BT? If there is no merger, as you say there won't be, this will cost you nothing, so I cannot see why you would baulk at offering it.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Isn't there some clause somewhere allowing customers out of long term contracts if there is a significant detrimental change (like price increase but could possibly apply to other business changes?)?
If my LRS runs out before my FTTC 18 month contract can I move my phone service (or both) at this time without penalty due to the 'material changes to my contract'?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
peter10
Grafter

I've not had the email relating to these changes so I can only rely on what I've read here.
If as Bob says "the price of the annual line rental saver will be increasing in line with the monthly rental charges" it seems that people like me with value broadband, annual line rental saver, anytime calls and caller display will save money with talktalk and get unlimited download. Hope I'm wrong as I don't particularly want to move. Some thorough research will have to be done before December.
When will we be informed as to the increase in cost of the annual line rental saver so I can make an informed decision as whether I stay or move?
jfordham83

Hi everyone,
This is my first post on the forum having only signed up to PN 3 days ago 🙂
But here's my question, i signed up to the price on the website at the time "Line rental saver £9.49 a month" am i going to be sent an email/asked to pay more or were these changes reflected in the advertised prices?
Thanks
James
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Easy answer is no
Less easy answer
As you can't sign up to the line rental saver until you are a customer you will need to sign up for it before the prices change on the 28th of October
jfordham83

OK thanks,
Well my fibre install date is the 2nd Oct, so hopefully the phone with be done before the increase?
J
dick:quote
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: dvorak
If two companies share the same mass email then it could well happen.

The Plusnet email quoted (that I have not yet received) has completely different content to the BT email that has just been sent to my Mum about its increases.
Regarding increased integration between BT and PN, for months my Mum (a BT telephone service only customer) has received emails from a PN email address promoting Plusnet broadband
Sadie
Grafter

My year's contract is up on 11th October - will the line rental saver still be available for the following year at the current rate?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Petard
I was on the point of signing up for LRS – but I am hesitating now – since you offer no refund, even pro-rata, if one leaves before the year is up. So the question was, would you offer such a refund, pro-rata, if one leaves because one suddenly finds oneself back with BT?

You're not going to find yourself back with BT. As I'm sure you can understand, it wouldn't really be politically correct of me to offer a guarantee like the one you're proposing when you consider who pays my wages Wink
Quote from: w23
Isn't there some clause somewhere allowing customers out of long term contracts if there is a significant detrimental change (like price increase but could possibly apply to other business changes?)?

Yes, although neither LRS customers or those that pay monthly have a contracted phone service.
Quote from: w23
If my LRS runs out before my FTTC 18 month contract can I move my phone service (or both) at this time without penalty due to the 'material changes to my contract'?

Yes, you'd be able to do this regardless of the imminent changes.
Quote from: Salmo
When will we be informed as to the increase in cost of the annual line rental saver so I can make an informed decision as whether I stay or move?

I don't think such notice will be sent until you're approaching the end of your current term.
Quote from: jfordham83
But here's my question, i signed up to the price on the website at the time "Line rental saver £9.49 a month" am i going to be sent an email/asked to pay more or were these changes reflected in the advertised prices?

You'll pay the advertised price of £9.49 James. Welcome to the forums! Smiley
Quote from: Sadie
My year's contract is up on 11th October - will the line rental saver still be available for the following year at the current rate?

Yes, and will be until around the 28th October.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Thanks Bob, some reassuring answers.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
peter10
Grafter

Thanks for the reply Bob.
With regards to the annual line rental saver I can't understand why Plusnet can not say that the price will increase by £X from a given date.You say that  "I don't think such notice will be sent until you're approaching the end of your current term". I hope that I will be informed in good enough time to allow me to change supplier if I find the increase unacceptable. Plusnet have been my only broadband supplier and so I have no idea of the time scale involved in moving. I would prefer to stay as I have found the service to be good but cost is a factor these days.
I wonder why any change to the annual line rental price was not announced at the same time as rise in monthly cost. Being a cynic I wonder if Plusnet are waiting for others to increase their prices as when one acts the others follow. As talktalk is currently advertised at £9-50 for the annual line rental I wonder if Plusnet are hoping they will increase it so they can set a similar price.
WTF
Grafter

I'm afraid that, according to the e-mail I have from customer services, Bob is wrong and people who have paid for the Line Rental Savers will have to pay an additional charge.
I've e-mailed customer services for clarification, but their original answer was pretty clear:
I must confirm that the price increase will affect all Plusnet customers, including those who are still in the process of waiting for their account to be activated

The last part refers to the fact that I am due to switch to PlusNet on Tuesday and was only informed of the price rise yesterday (Thurs).
As you can imagine, this is really, really annoying.  PlusNet clearly knew the price rise was coming, but took my money and arranged the cancellation of my existing service before letting me know.  And it appears they're out to catch more mugs, because the PlusNet website STILL shows the £9.49 price and a search of the website finds absolutely nothing about the forthcoming price rise.
I'm going to shut up now as I'm really struggling to keep this polite ..
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

[quote author=[Censored] link=topic=107655.msg919353#msg919353 date=1347648949]
I'm afraid that, according to the e-mail I have from customer services, Bob is wrong and people who have paid for the Line Rental Savers will have to pay an additional charge.

I'm sorry but I can't see where you get that idea from. It's a fixed price for 12 months line rental. The current price equates to £9.49 a month. Where is the confusion?
dsw
Grafter

What will LRS be after this date then, still £9.49 a month?