Did you mean: 

Community Updates February 2017

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Community Updates February 2017

Hello everyone,

For this update to the Community I am happy to announce that the Blog has been given some much needed attention and I have restructured it while working closely with our Blog authors and reading some feedback. There are some other fixes and minor changes that have been done too but I will list everything in a list below.

Blog has been updated:

Masonry grid layout - Each article will be shown in a row of 3 that will include a teaser image, intro text and icons for views and comments. The articles themselves will load via ajax so it will be an infinite scroll to the end of the page as more articles will load as you scroll down.

Category filtering - You will be able to filter by categories of blog articles and subscribe to those categories. So if you are interested in only the 'residential' articles, you can subscribe to that and receive updates when a new article has been added. Filtering will hide the articles that are not categorised in your chosen category. Please be aware that the filters do not remember your preference for when you visit again and only one can be selected at any time.

Blog comments are back - After having the blog comments disabled for a while we are deciding to bring them back. So that means if there is a blog article you are interested in and would like to discuss, you can talk about it on the article itself. To avoid the comments being flooded by customer queries, the comments will be pre-moderated. After all, if someone would like to ask a question about their Plusnet services there are plenty of board to choose from in the forums. Community Veterans will bypass the pre-moderation due to being long standing members here - I am willing to extend this to other high ranks too if there is enough interest.

Blog tagging - tagging of blog articles will be disabled as this is now being used to link similar articles together within a 'related articles' module I have created. If any blog articles get tagged by users, they will be removed.

Social Media sharing - The 'share' button now works in a much better way and doesn't take you to a seperate page. Now it will show you a few popular social media channels and within a couple of clicks the article is shared. All this will happen and you will not leave the page.

Other fixes:

Revoking thanks - I have fixed this so now you simply have to click the thumbs up button again to take away your thanks instead of going through the post options menu.

Attachment limits popup - an update to the attachment component knocked this out of place as it relied on some specific code being present. This is now back in its place.

Fixed issues with text editor - a software update had caused the text editor to look a bit squashed up with button labels overlapping and the emoticons being in a long single line. Both of these issues have been fixed.

Homepage quicklinks - There is now a new quicklink added for the Mobile board for quick access for anyone needing support with their mobile service.

These updates will be applied on Wednesday (22/02/2017) and I will be performing some quality assurance checks before going fully live with these changes. I will update this post once the changes have gone fully live.

If anyone has any questions about the update, please create a new thread in the Community Feedback board and I will do my best to answer your questions.

Many thanks,

Jack

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

3 REPLIES 3
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Re: Community Updates February 2017

In addition to changes to the blog, the 'Library' is also getting the same treatment as the blog. So the updates described above will also apply to this area of the site which should make navigating some of those old guides a much better experience.

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

This update is due to go live on Wednesday 1st of March (01/03/17) now due to some a few minor issues found when applying the update and viewing the real data so another round of further testing is required to make sure the changes work 100% when we go live.

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your continued patience on this matter.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I am very happy to announce that the changes are now live with no disruption to the community.

Please feel free to give some feedback on a new thread I created here:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Community-Site-Feedback/New-blog-feedback/m-p/1419261#M12328

Cheers