cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Update - Changes are coming!

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Community Update - Changes are coming!

There is no method of policing that in advance as there is no method of identifying such potential troublemakers
Note that banning by IP address was dropped a long time ago as most potential posters have dynamic addresses now
Note that a poster can have create multiple usernames and email addresses at will
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: artmo
Over the years we have had a number of troublemakers who have been banned. Will there be a check to make sure they do not rejoin again?

We seem to have had 2 different answers to my question. Which is correct? Undecided
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I'm having difficulty in thinking of a method of doing that.
Do we check people's NI number Undecided
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Both are correct but if a potential poster wants to be  an absolute nuisance there is very little which can be done to stop it pro actively as he could easily switch IP address if he isn't on a fixed one (disconnect and reconnect PPP session) create a new email address (GMail or Hot Mail) and a new username
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I can see this putting a lot of pressure on the mods. In the main we have a good group of mods but they are not around 24/7. Is there any plan to increase the number of mods?
Do our current mods work a kind of rota system to offer coverage or is it just a case of moderating when they are on the forums?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: jab1
HP - If my limited looking at the TT forums, which are also open to all is anything to go by, I can't see it happening TBH. I only see customers complaining (loudly), very few if any seem to be non-customers.
OK, that is not a very scientific approach, I know, but it may give an indication - they seem to have a large number of unhappy customers.

I see very similar on BT Community forums (where I'm registered as a non-customer).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I can't dig out the post on another Forum - probably TBB - but there were a number of complaints of heavy handed moderating and removal of posts on the BT Forums which are moderated by staff
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If anyone is likely to cause trouble it's ex-customers with a grudge. If you were on these forums before you left you can still post.
I haven't seen any evidence that we have significant trouble with ex-users on here.
I think this is a non-issue!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Oldjim
I can't dig out the post on another Forum - probably TBB - but there were a number of complaints of heavy handed moderating and removal of posts on the BT Forums which are moderated by staff

Heavy handed? Going back to the Phorm fiasco it was far more than that - total censorship and people who were critical were banned at the drop of a hat!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
w23
Pro

Quote from: Oldjim
I've experienced this myself.  BT moderators (I assume staff) are very intolerant of criticism of BT on their forums.
I can't see Plusnet Forums going that way, my main point was that allowing non-customers to post doesn't seem to cause large amounts of undesirable posts - I think that, in general, only customers, prospective customers and those with similar 'interests' (rather than random 'visitors' from all over the net) will normally bother to register.
Many, many forums allow new members to register without any proof of being a customer, usually without major negative repercussions.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Quote from: spoon
If anyone is likely to cause trouble it's ex-customers with a grudge. If you were on these forums before you left you can still post.
I haven't seen any evidence that we have significant trouble with ex-users on here.

+1 SW, and exactly the point I was making. I COULD rejoin the TT forum, and comment on some of the rubbish posted on there (from customers and staff), but I can think of many better ways to use my time.
John
w23
Pro

Quote from: spoon

I really think that's a valid point there.  Are people panicking about nothing?
Call me 'w23'
Oldjim
Resting Legend

they got banned and couldn't register again
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

From memory the currently active ban list is around 50 people. That's in 8 (?) years of this Community being active.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If I change my user name, will all my historic posts get changed (as at present)?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."