cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Update - Changes are coming!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Community Update - Changes are coming!

"non customers will be able to register and post"

Does this effectively mean that the Forum moderators will lose the ability to either temporarily or permanently ban disruptive members who persistently post abusive comments ?
Will there be a new mechanism to block undesirable members, and prevent them reappearing under a new username ?
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

personally i would have tought PN would have finished fixing things that dont work correctly as they have been promising to fix for more than 5 years , new billing system  Roll_eyes amongst other things
where as the comunity site works well as is  Wink so should have been the last thing on PN,s list to fix  Huh
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
artmo
Aspiring Champion

It seems most posters are concerned about the new forums being open to all. Would PN consider having a limited number of topics restricted only to PN customers?
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Chris
Quote from: NorthEasterner
My community profile (NorthEasterner) is tied to my old Plusnet account which is no longer active, however I am a current Plusnet customer (on a new account) and I'm using my original community forum profile - will I be carried over?  

Yes.
Is it possible to change my login username to my display name (NorthEasterner)? As I dislike my current username.

You'll have the opportunity to change your username within the first 30 days.
Also, why are you getting rid of signatures? They're brilliant  Undecided

We're not. You'll need to create a new one on the new site though.
I do have to say that having a mobile optimised forum is a HUGE bonus as it's awful looking at the forums from my iPhone  Smiley

I think so too, with the amount of mobile devices, tablets etc in use now it makes sense for any changes to consider these alongside the more traditional PC/Monitor setups.

Thanks for getting back to me Chris  Smiley
regards
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Mav
Fixes: 514

Quote from: artmo
It seems most posters are concerned about the new forums being open to all. Would PN consider having a limited number of topics restricted only to PN customers?
I think it should be the other way round with a limited number of boards open to all and sundry. Maybe specific boards set up where questions related to joining PN could be asked?
Just a thought Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Anonymous
Not applicable

For those that haven't seen it there is a Poll on whether Plusnet should open the new forums to all if you want to take part.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,148767.0.html
artmo
Aspiring Champion

@Mav, I think your idea is a better one than mine but can't see PN agreeing to it.
amcclean
Rising Star

Re: New Plusnet Community Open to All Vote

If the new community is hosted outwith PN can we opt out.
I had originally commented elsewhere that I didn't want it to be open, however if it's being hosted by a third party I don't think I want my account transferred to the third party. I think I would rather have it open so that I can create an unlinked account whereby the third party will have no access to my PN details.
podman
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Currently all posts are read-only to the public.
DuckDuckGo search of "vilefox" yields http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=5448;sa=showPosts;start=0

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: bicyclz
No doubt PN will be 'upgrading' to Indian call centres soon....

Unlikely as BT is currentlly in the process of moving away FROM Indian call centres.
http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/sep/18/bt-promises-to-bring-call-centres-back-to-the-uk
On the other hand I suppose when BT has only UK call centres Plusnet would lose what has been one of its main selling points. However, its main selling point now appears to be giveaway prices to new cusomers regardless of impact on the quality of support so how could Plusnet further reduce its costs...? Maybe not so unlikely a thought after all!
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Like others I am concerned that improvements for devices with small screens will be at the expense of those of us using larger screened devices.
My experience in general is that when "improvements" are announced things get worse. I hope that will not be the case.
"We won't be communicating the removal of this feature so I wouldn't expect a massive influx"
Isn't this akin to "security through obscurity"? Plusnet may not make an announcement but it will soon be widely known.
My main concern is for the moderators. Not only is there a potential for many more messages to police but also it will be much harder to maintain discipline. When a forum login is linked to a Plusnet account there is no potential for miscreants to create new login IDs when banned (or use multiple logins) and no potential for spammers to sign up. I fear that volunteer moderators will be lost and we will no longer have the successful forums we have currently.
Anonymous
Not applicable

My effective screen resolution is 2560 X 1440 on my Mac I'd be keen to see what the new site looked like on that alongside my iPad.
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

change is good its well over due 😜
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Over the years we have had a number of troublemakers who have been banned. Will there be a check to make sure they do not rejoin again?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The ban list is being transferred over, and we have some flexibility with how people can be banned based on username/IP/email etc.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.