cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Update - Changes are coming!

Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Re: Community Update - Changes are coming!

As a long time customer of Plusnet (formally Force9) and sometimes a contributor to these forums I agree with the points raised about letting everyone join the ‘community’.
If you must proceed along this path then at least keep some ‘community support’ sections private to customers of the Plusnet group.
Other sections like ‘Gaming’, the hardware and software sections could be open to all.
I see no problem in the private sections being (as now) read only to everyone but posting should be private to customers only.
I also agree that posts from genuine customers should be ‘tagged’ to show their affiliation to the Plusnet group. This would have the added advantage of offering browsing and potential customers an insight into the quality and quantity of the customer group they are possibly joining.
Regards, P.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: quelquod
My monitor is 27". Do PN really think this will be a step forwards for folk like me? We'll see I suppose but I'm not holding my breath. Why on earth do underworked people feel an eternal need to knacker perfectly useful things instead of fixing real problems?

The widest it will display sits nicely with a narrow margin at each side on a screen set at 1280 wide (i.e. the same as www.plus.net). Like www.plus.net as the screen width reduces it adapts. (Try resizing the browser window!)
For those of you using Firefox there's a handy tool. Go to www.plus.net and then key Ctrl+Shift+M to enter the developer tool Responsive Design Tool. Now drag the right hand side in and out to see it in action.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Chilly
We could all just move over to here.

For all you know PlusNet may be going to pull the plug on it, who knows what they are going to do next!
[Edit]
From Usergroup registration:
The PlusNet Usergroup Forums - Registration Problem.
Thank you for showing an interest in the PlusNet UserGroup Forums. To register to post on these forums you need to be connected using a connection provided by either PlusNet, MetroNet, F9 or Free-Online.
Customers of other ISPs are welcome to browse the forums but registration is only available to PlusNet family customers

That is interesting, that message come up!
[Edit]
This is very interesting have a read of: Topic: PUG future
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: vilefox
How many people mainly use their mobile for landline calls and 80Mbit broadband?
BTW I don't own a mobile phone, because they have such small screens on them...

I never use my landline anymore  Grin Use my mobile minutes which is a better advantage to me.  If I'm calling a landline I always use my mobile phone.
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: spoon
The widest it will display sits nicely with a narrow margin at each side on a screen set at 1280 wide (i.e. the same as www.plus.net). Like www.plus.net as the screen width reduces it adapts. (Try resizing the browser window!)
For those of you using Firefox there's a handy tool. Go to www.plus.net and then key Ctrl+Shift+M to enter the developer tool Responsive Design Tool. Now drag the right hand side in and out to see it in action.

I tried the Firefox tool - apparently Plusnet displays as 775 x 480 pixels.
So I could get 4 little windows, with plenty of room to spare on my 1920 x 1080 display.
BTW I normally run Firefox as a maximised display.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

nozzer
Hero

BT have some spare call centres, going cheep.

Nonononono....  canaries go cheep!
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: rwaller
Must admit I was thinking "Oh No, not loads of 5 word lines of text that will look really rubbishy on a PC"

You won't see 5 word lines on a PC, that aspect will be OK, but having only 5 lines per screen-full might be a different matter Shocked
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Quote from: NorthEasterner
My community profile (NorthEasterner) is tied to my old Plusnet account which is no longer active, however I am a current Plusnet customer (on a new account) and I'm using my original community forum profile - will I be carried over?  

Yes.
Is it possible to change my login username to my display name (NorthEasterner)? As I dislike my current username.

You'll have the opportunity to change your username within the first 30 days.
Also, why are you getting rid of signatures? They're brilliant  Undecided

We're not. You'll need to create a new one on the new site though.
I do have to say that having a mobile optimised forum is a HUGE bonus as it's awful looking at the forums from my iPhone  Smiley

I think so too, with the amount of mobile devices, tablets etc in use now it makes sense for any changes to consider these alongside the more traditional PC/Monitor setups.

Quote from: Midnight
Are you consolidating systems, as plusnet are part of BT ?

No. Many companies use Lithium for their Community, not just BT.

01) Who owns lithium.com

I believe it's Lithium Technologies
02) Where is it hosted

I'm not 100% sure (I'll get clarification) but my understanding is our site will be hosted in the UK.
03) Should I delete my PM's?

Entirely up to you. They'll be moved over and associated with your new account.
04) Or should I delete my account?  - That is my forum account I am on about!

I'm not sure why you would?
Can I have multiple logins?
I want to use vilefox and axisofevil as synonyms (and possibly a few other names).

I don't think so.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Oldjim
@HPsauce
You are misunderstanding how it works at present where the boards are visible to all customers or not
The only change is that non customers will be able to register and post
Not really misunderstanding at all TBH, I know the information isn't private.
My big concern is the second bit highlighted (non-customers posting). I think this will actually destroy what we have.  Cry
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

HP - If my limited looking at the TT forums, which are also open to all is anything to go by, I can't see it happening TBH. I only see customers complaining (loudly), very few if any seem to be non-customers.
OK, that is not a very scientific approach, I know, but it may give an indication - they seem to have a large number of unhappy customers.
John
PeeGee
Pro

@HPsauce  +1
Experience suggests that the change will result in a very large increase in unacceptable/offensive and unrelated posts which will overload the moderators even if some highly restrictive "tests" are done at registration.
I also find systems, such as "captcha" (?spelling) irritating in the extreme as it usually tales me a large number of reloads to get an image that is "just" readable.
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Sadie
Grafter

I have now read to the end of this thread and it is obvious that whilst PN is "excited" the majority of the posters here are not.  Not only the change overall but the fact that non-PN customers will be allowed to post.  Presumably PN will be renaming the forum All and Sundry, because it won't be a Community.  A Community requires a common interest, the common interest on this forum is being a PN customer.
If the new forum is going to be optimised for mobile users I wish those users joy, but these changes to other forums I used to log into have made it unpleasant for me to use them on my laptop, so I hope the new format is also optimised for those of us who don't use mobile devices?

PlusnetLiam
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi guys
A quick introduction for those I've not spoken to before - I'm Liam & I'm leading the project for relaunching our Community.
I understand your concerns around opening it up to non Plusnet customers, however, there's some context that needs to be considered:
1. We won't be communicating the removal of this feature so I wouldn't expect a massive influx
2. We've spoken to lots of Lithium customers - particularly other Telco's - and not one has reported non customers as causing issues so we can have some confidence with that
3. The long term plan is to reinstate the account link with Lithium but to make it better IE single sign on. Not confirmed yet but it's certainly part of the grand plan!
And for those saying this starts to spell the end of Community, I cannot be any more clear that this is the absolute opposite. This is the first time in a number of years that Community has had investment from the business & we now have dedicated resource associated to it to manage it going forward. Our plan is to increase the focus on it which I hope will also see additional Plusnet support on here directly.
It's really exciting for me and whilst there are things that are different, I'm very excited to share it as an awful lot of work has gone into it (and it definitely doesn't look like BT or the Lithium community!)
Cheers
Liam
Anonymous
Not applicable

Call me cynical but as much as I am looking forward to the new forum (with the exception being *Open to All*) I can't help but think this is PN's way of offloading mainline support. This forum serves its purpose, even with all the quirks it has so why invest in a new platform, with dedicated resources?
Maybe I'm reading between the lines something that isn't there, but the last post only increases my cynicism.
Added caveat.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: nozzer
BT have some spare call centres, going cheep.

Nonononono....  canaries go cheep!

Some say parrots go cheap in the land of the call centre Wink
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine