Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Update - Changes are coming!

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Community Update - Changes are coming!

I’m very, very excited to finally announce that over the next few weeks, we’ll be migrating the Plusnet Community to a brand new home. Whilst community.plus.net will remain its home, we’re starting again with a new platform, new design & some very exciting new features. Better still, we’ve been working really closely with a group of customers (you know who you are!) to make sure we capture as many requirements as possible & do some rigorous user testing before we go live.
The cut over date has yet to be confirmed, however, we’re aiming for some time in March. When we have a definite date, we’ll share. However, before then, here’s a run down of what will be happening.

FAQs

What’s changing?
There’ll be a number of things but to name just a few:

• All pages will be optimised for mobile so a brand new, fresh look and feel to community

• We’ll be introducing ‘thanks’ and ‘fixes’, making it easier to show your appreciation but also make it clearer to other customers which post fixed the original topic

• We’ll be removing the need to be a Plusnet customer to post on our Community – it will be open to all

• Some customers will have their username automatically changed if it is more than 15 characters or includes a space.

What’s not changing?
As ever, this Community will continue to be managed and moderated by Plusnet customers. This is something that is very unique and something we are immensely proud of. We’ll also be keeping the community.plus.net domain.

Are you taking all data from the old community to the new one?

Most, yes, but not all. See below for lists of what is coming over & what’s not
Moving over:

• All posts

• All blogs

• MOST usernames will be unchanged (see below)

• Personal Messages

• Library posts

Not moving over:

• Signatures

• Polls

How do I keep my username on the new Community?
It’s really important before the date of migration that you check your email address is up to date within Community. This is because when we do move over, we’ll force all customers to do a password reset which will need to be done via the email address we have on file.
To do that, simply click ‘Profile’ from the top bar, then ‘Account Related Settings’ & update the Email field.

Is it the Username or display name that will be migrated?
It will only be the Username that you registered with. As we know some customers used their Plusnet account name to register with we’re giving all customers the opportunity for the first month to change their username, however, they’ll need to login with the current one first.

***Please note***
Limits on the platform mean that customers with the following usernames will have theirs automatically changed:

• Any that is above 15 characters will be reduced to the first 15. For example, PlusnetLiamCommunity will become PlusnetLiamComm. You’ll be able to change it whatever you like when you’ve logged back in.

• If your username has a space, that character will be replaced with an underscore. So, Plusnet Liam will become Plusnet_Liam

Who will be hosting my data?
We’re really proud to be working with a company called Lithium – they’re a world leader, best in class Community vendor and work with some of the biggest companies in the world. Whilst we’ve done extensive audits to ensure we’re happy with the security of your information, we wanted to make you aware that your email address & username will be hosted by them directly.
There will no doubt be other questions and we’re happy to answer them, however, we’ll also be documenting the key platform differences over the coming weeks so it’s not too much of a shock. We’ll post again on here when we have a firm launch date but for now, just make sure your email address is up to date & get ready!
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
214 REPLIES 214
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Community Update - Changes are coming!

Sounds exciting, looking forward to the move, so good luck with it.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Chris
We’re really proud to be working with a company called Lithium

Lithium also host the community forums for BT Retail (conspiracy theorists are not invited to comment!), Virgin and Sky...
avatastic
Grafter

Will the new site automatically report that images are borken in posts, or is that still up to us?
(You've got a borken image Chris)
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Chris
Legend

Should be sorted now, thanks for pointing out Wink
It is *a lot* easier to upload images on the new site Wink
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

It is *a lot* easier more difficult to upload images on the new this site Wink

Still Broken!  Grin Tongue
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

until you posted my question was - What Image - as I can't see anything in the post
Chris
Legend

Dunno what you mean, it's working perfectly.
Embarrassed
w23
Pro

When I read 'avatastic's post I must admit my first reaction was 'what image?', that's why I added the screenshot!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: Oldjim
until you posted my question was - What Image - as I can't see anything in the post

Ditto.
Quote from: pwatson
Lithium also host the community forums for BT Retail (conspiracy theorists are not invited to comment!), Virgin and Sky...

And Spotify, and Vodafone and Barclays and a wealth of other companies Cool

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

w23
Pro

Dunno what you mean, it's working perfectly.

Roll_eyes  Shocked  Lips_are_sealed
Call me 'w23'
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The "ease" of uploading images is "debatable"  Tongue
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

You’ll be able to change (your username) to whatever you like when you’ve logged back in.

As long as it doesn't break forum rules Wink
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Anotherone
The "ease" of uploading images is "debatable"  Tongue

Embedding images in to posts in-line is a LOT easier! (it's what happens immediately after that can be a bit strange)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

All pages will be optimised for mobile

Not another site going west.
Plusnet will just become another one to avoid on the PC.
Why do some (misguided) companies think this is a good idea.
Don't tell me, all the board members are in their twenties and sit around playing on their phones all day.
I see "optimised for mobile" as a backwards step.
Some of these "optimised" pages look like the ones on my PC when I had windows 95 and visited bulletin boards.