cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will my business line cease to operate?

sr01
Hooked

When will my business line cease to operate?

I've done nothing about moving some of my business lines away from Plusnet.

Does anyone know the exact date they will stop working?

Surely Plusnet can give out a straight answer to a simple question.

20 REPLIES 20
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 21

Re: When will my business line cease to operate?

There hasn't been any date announced as of yet, so won't be any time too soon.  Next Tuesday though is the last day that you can transfer your landline to another supplier, due to an Openreach Stop Sell.  You would still be able to transfer your number to a VOIP service, though this may need to be a bit more coordinated from you, and may mean some downtime depending on where you go and what you do with it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sr01
Hooked

Hopefully I can transfer a working broadband line to another provider other than BT with no early termination fees.

Or possibly order a new line and service then close Plusnet down, again with no charges.

Fortunately I'm not too concerned about the phone line / number, just the bb service.

Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

@sr01 wrote:

I've done nothing about moving some of my business lines away from Plusnet.

Does anyone know the exact date they will stop working?

@sr01 Someone kindly sent me a copy of the 12/06/23 e-mail sent to all business customers. I *think* all that's being said is:

If you wish to retain your existing landline service you’ll need to migrate your service from Plusnet Business before the 5th September 2023.

... ie to switch to getting a landline service from another provider, that move has to be done by 5th September.  *but* (theoretically) the landline as part of the current PN business account will not be lost until PN *closes* that business account (whenever they finally decide to fix a date) (if I've understood correctly).

... I am not sure of what BT is offering in that regard (had thought was only a 'digital' -type option, but retaining the landline *number*) - *but* (again if I've understood correctly), a PN residential account set up before 5th September could still have a landline component.  Albeit no vat invoices, which scuppers things for most businesses :confused_face:

... the above is just my take on the overall situation (I'm just another customer). 

Just seen your further reply:

>> Hopefully I can transfer a working broadband line to another provider other than BT with no early termination fees.

>> Or possibly order a new line and service then close Plusnet down, again with no charges.

.. so the post - for business customers - at https://community.plus.net/t5/Business/Plusnet-to-stop-providing-business-broadband/m-p/1933120/high... - "The following clarification has been received from PlusNet 08/08/23"

(and the rest of that thread) may be of interest, also.

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
carl0s
Rising Star

I'm starting to feel really stressed out.

I have about 53 PN accounts that I manage for my customer, and a few other random ones for other customers.

We are transferring what we can, but some have been caught in stop-sell areas (nothing to do with the nationwide 5th September stop-sell, just Fibre Priority exchanges where FTTP installs are tricky due to the fit-out within the shop).

I keep hearing rumours that 'lines will cease on 5th September', which does not make sense. As per the emails above, 5th September is only a special date for migrating phone services to another supplier.

but I have had tickets raised on 2 of my plusnet accounts by BT and EE sales people telling me that services will cease on 5th September.

I spoke to a customer support person last week who was surprised at the content of those tickets, and said don't worry, we will not be cutting you off on 5th September.

However, today I called PN to ask to cancel a Business Fibre line that isn't in use any more, and the chap had difficulty getting me through to the right team, but said "it's OK, it will cease on 5th September anyway due to us closing the business side"

I have about 49 lines that are migrating away, and due to complete between 7th and 11th Sept, but a handful are stuck due to the above Fibre Priority Exchange stuff.

What actually is going on? There has not been any communications from Plusnet stating that 5th September is a cease date. Only that due to the stop sell, we would need to have orders placed with OR before that deadline if we want to keep copper phone service.

Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

@carl0s wrote:

I'm starting to feel really stressed out.

... I keep hearing rumours that 'lines will cease on 5th September', which does not make sense. As per the emails above, 5th September is only a special date for migrating phone services to another supplier.

but I have had tickets raised on 2 of my plusnet accounts by BT and EE sales people telling me that services will cease on 5th September.

... However, today I called PN to ask to cancel a Business Fibre line that isn't in use any more, and the chap had difficulty getting me through to the right team, but said "it's OK, it will cease on 5th September anyway due to us closing the business side"

... What actually is going on? There has not been any communications from Plusnet stating that 5th September is a cease date. Only that due to the stop sell, we would need to have orders placed with OR before that deadline if we want to keep copper phone service.

This topic has been escalated by one of the Superusers in trust that one of the PN team here will step in and provide some constructive answers. Promptly.

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
carl0s
Rising Star

There doesn't seem to be any point in me phoning Plusnet for clarification does there. I did just try, but I think I was diverted off to BT, from Plusnet, and it just rang out. But I'm not sure I would get somebody who actually knows. I suppose I just have to wait and see ?

techion

After getting no clear information from Plusnet, I've pretty much resigned myself to the "wait and see" approach now. I've sourced a backup internet solution just in case things go west, but honestly, I feel that we should be considering lodging complaints with Ofcom en masse about the diabolical lack of communication and clarity surrounding this issue.

My understanding is still that the 5th of September is a "stop sell" date, where people can no longer order phone lines, and as such expect my services to continue for the short term until further cease information is communicated.
I've had no communication about anything ceasing other than an implied message from a BT/EE salesman.

carl0s
Rising Star

You are in exactly the same position as me then, except I have about 55 separate PN accounts, and only two of them have had the BT / EE sales person threatening to cut off if I don't phone or email him to move to them before 5th September.

The other 53 accounts have not.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Hi all I'm really sorry for any confusion this has caused.

We're not ceasing anybody directly tomorrow but tomorrow is the cut-off for traditional phone lines to be installed hence the communications mentioning this date.

I've passed the feedback on regarding this experience to the relevant people to make sure these mistakes don't happen moving forward.

Apologies again for any inconvenience caused 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
carl0s
Rising Star

Thanks. My state of panic is finally over, at the 11th hour.

FYI:

The reason I will not go near BT (rather, BTLB), is not too dissimilar to this experience. Maybe one day I'll do a blog post about my experience with the independent commission-driven telecom reseller who trades as 'BT Local Business' in my area.

I would have just ignored both the BT sales person, and the EE one, but then fact that I was told "Don't worry, you don't need to cancel that business account, they're all closing on 5th anyway" when I called Plusnet, certainly ruined my weekend.

mash5343

We have Gigaclear fibre being installed into the village currently and I've signed up.

It may be a couple of months away though so I'm just going to stick with PN business and hope for the best! The consequences of doing nothing are (deliberately I assume) vague so I think I'll get away with it.

techion

Same shady bully-boy sales tactics from the EE guy using Plusnet's own ticket system!

Inferring that people will be without service after 5th September. Disgusting business tactics.
Off the back of this I've spent money implementing a backup service because Plusnet have dragged their heels clarifying the situation.
This definitely deserves escalation! 

Screenshot 2023-09-04 at 22.25.17.png

carl0s
Rising Star

Same here.

They can't even get the name Plusnet right.

mash5343

Exact text from letter received a couple of weeks ago:

What's Changing?

As well as Plusnet removing its business services, the whole of the UK is currently in the process of switching to digital. Any provider who uses the Openreach network, including Plusnet, will no longer be able to place orders for new services that run over traditional analogue telephone lines from the 5th September 2023*.

This means that if you wish to retain your existing landline service and remain on the same technology, you need to migrate your service from Plusnet Business before the 5th September 2023.