Webspace cant upload files

FIXED
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Webspace cant upload files

@bobpullen 

If it helps any ... I logged on, did a ls and it just hung...

PS C:\Users\kevin> ftp ftp.plus.net
Connected to ftp.plus.net.
220-PLEASE NOTE: If you have a non-subscription account you
 will only be able to login to this ftp server if you are
 dialled into our network.

A Maximum of 4 concurrent connections are allowed to this
 server, each session is limited to 256KB/s downloads.

220 Plus.Net FTP Server #1 ready
200 UTF8 set to on
User (ftp.plus.net:(none)): ********
331 Password required for ********
Password:
230 User ********logged in
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list

Killed it and did a dir - same result - it did not respond.

Rather looks as though anything which accesses the filestore kills the ftp session.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

@Townman  strange ! , looks like it's possibly account related. My account still works fine.

Are accounts split across different physical servers ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

My account starts with "t".

Tried on a referral's account which starts with "b" - same failure.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Mine's 'w'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Interesting, thanks guys for the testing. I've raised a NetOps task (ref: INFOPS-73202) with full details. 

@bobpullen, cheers for the advice.

@RalphHVH, I can't provide NetOps your password in writing as that's generally the only way I'd talk with them, so I've added to the ticket 222419247 that you're happy for them to change your password as part of the investigation, if they need to. Let me know though if you're not comfortable with that. 

Also, what's even more interesting is that I can ping your domain fine today, but not the plus.com version. 

I'll let you know once I've got a response back from NetOps, which should be within 3 to 5 working days as they're busy folk nowadays due to how small their team is and I believe someone's recently left so they've undergone some changes. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Townman - now I should really have tried that myself!

I'm having the same issue with an account starting 'b' (and yes, I believe the storage is separated based on the first two letters of your username):-

$ ftp ftp.plus.net
Name (ftp.plus.net:bobpullen): b*******
331 Password required for b*******
Password:
230 User b******* logged in
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> pwd
257 "/" is the current directory
ftp> cd htdocs
250 CWD command successful
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful

@RalphHVH - do you know when things started failing?

Interestingly, I do not experience the issue if passive mode is set as part of the FTP session. I've no idea at this stage whether or not this has always been the case:-

$ ftp
ftp> passive
Passive mode on.
ftp> open ftp.plus.net
Name (ftp.plus.net:b*******): b********
331 Password required for b*******
Password:
230 User b******* logged in
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> ls
227 Entered Passive Mode (212,159,9,91,176,208)
drwxr-xr-x   9 ftp      ftp          4096 Dec 30  2020 htdocs
drwxr-xr-x   2 ftp      ftp          4096 Mar  3 03:48 logs
226 Transfer complete

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@RalphHVH - based on my testing above, you may have some short term success by enabling passive mode in Fusion.

See here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@bobpullen

Thanks - so knew that FTP operation has always been odd. As it is such a long time since I have used it (and coffee cup no longer works) I could not recall what the “issue” was - I thought it was ascii / binary.

I now recall that in the past I had to operate in passive mode. Given I do not in depth understanding of the differences and my objective was simply to upload files, I had not fussed over what did not work.

So the key question is should this work in Non-passive mode?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've added those details onto the task for when NetOps pick it up, but if it works in passive mode, this could be a solution. 

Unsure though if it's meant to work in non-passive mode and if something's broken. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Unsure though if it's meant to work in non-passive mode and if something's broken. 

Could it be associated with the problem of the PlusNet firewall being stuck on some accounts ? Active mode is certainly not going to work with that on!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Townman has the firewall on as "high" and Ralph as "low" but turning it off by following the steps here > https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/about-plusnets-broadband-firewall/ and trying again may be a good shout. That should be possible now, as we've since resolved the problem that stopped changes from being made to it.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

Over many years using various devices and clients my ftp connections to ftp.force9.net have only ever worked in passive mode.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Looks like the broadband firewall is turned off for you as well so it could be that this is just the way our FTP works

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Gandalf wrote:

Townman has the firewall on as "high" and Ralph as "low" ...

High

This setting blocks all unauthorised incoming traffic, so no external source will be able to connect to your network or your devices. Software updates and administrative traffic for Plusnet-provided routers will still be allowed.

It will stop some things working, such as certain apps, VPN software or active FTP sessions. So if you need to use one of those, switch your firewall back to Low.

Well that explains why it does not work for me...

Here is a good explanation of the difference - Active vs. Passive FTP Simplified: Understanding FTP Ports (jscape.com) - having read this given that the client will probably have a software firewall ... I have difficulty understanding how active might work even with the PN fire wall being low.  If the SERVER is guessing a port for the data channel and the software firewall has the port closed, its will fail just the same as if the Plusnet firewall was set to anything other than high.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It seems not to work in passive mode, even with the firewall off or in a low state though. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet