Did you mean: 

Webspace cant upload files

FIXED
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Webspace cant upload files

@Gandalf - I assume you mean *active mode?

FWIW, there's no chance the Plusnet Firewall is active on my connection and I need to use passive mode to get a directory listing via command line.

Worth us all considering that this directory listing behaviour may be nothing to do with the problem @RalphHVH is having.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Ah I meant that it seems that the broadband firewall has no effect on the FTP as it works in passive mode for a combo of those who have the firewall off, high or low. 

Yeah I think it's worth Ralph checking if he can upload to the FTP server in passive mode as the next step. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RalphHVH
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Hi Gandalf and others

I have just got hold of the laptop that holds the NetObjects Fusion app. It is running windows 11 home.

It is now connected to the same broadband router that my PC is. My PC is windows 10 home.

I open a 'run' 'cmd' window to run the ftp commands.

I have carried out the same ftp tests on both, within minutes of each other, logging out of one before logging on the other..

The PC allows the 'ls' command to work correctly in '/' directory.

The laptop hangs after the 'ls' command and requires a 'Ctrl-C' to get out.

All else looks the same. I have repeated this test a few times on each computer.

I have also tried at the ftp> prompt to type 'passive', but it returns 'Invalid command'

All this talk about passive and firewalls is getting above my head!! but I get the impression that the ftp system at Plusnet is not working consistently.

Our inability to upload from our NOF app has appeared within the last couple of weeks, it has been working for years before that.

Thanks again for all your support.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Ralph, cheers for getting back to us.

Hmm. Did you try enabling passive mode in Fusion? 

http://netobjects.com/en/nof/10/00/docs/help/Passive_Mode_FTP_in_NetObjects_Fusion.htm

I've left the NetOps task open though, so if you still have issues with that I'll see what those folk say next week. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

@RalphHVH  windows command line ftp does not support passive mode https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18643542/how-to-use-passive-ftp-mode-in-windows-command-prompt

I suspect @bobpullen s example previously was using a linux system. I also tried ftp on linux and it does support passive mode.

Using ftp in active mode would require (at least) the correct setting of any windows firewall to allow ftp.

I have just got hold of the laptop that holds the NetObjects Fusion app. It is running windows 11 home.

Our inability to upload from our NOF app has appeared within the last couple of weeks, it has been working for years before that.

When was it upgraded to Windows 11 ?

As @Gandalf says , did you try NOF in passive mode ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Having thought I understood this, I sought to do some further tests on my trusty Win11 platform 🤔 but could not find out how to set passive mode.  A little bit of research...

"The Windows FTP command-line client (ftp.exe) does not support the passive mode, on any version of Windows. It makes it pretty useless nowadays due to ubiquitous firewalls and NATs.

Using the quote pasv won't help. It switches only the server to the passive mode, but not the client."

How to use passive FTP mode in Windows command prompt? - Stack Overflow

I thus conclude that everything is working the way it should in an environment where the CLIENT FTP application does not support PASSIVE mode and there is a good fire wall in place.

To prove the point, I connected my laptop to the internet via my mobile phone and all works well!  In MY CASE I surmise that my HIGH Plusnet firewall settings are the culprit (along with no option to be passive).  That said others have the settings as low or off and are encountering issues.

Edit: @MisterW types faster than I do!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Edit: @MisterW types faster than I do!

If only we could have a facility on the forum that warned when another post had been made whilst composing your reply🙄

Oh! I remember, we did until Lithium took over...

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@MisterW wrote:

@RalphHVH  windows command line ftp does not support passive mode https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18643542/how-to-use-passive-ftp-mode-in-windows-command-prompt

I suspect @bobpullen s example previously was using a linux system.

WSL on a Windows laptop, so - yes.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

RalphHVH
Hooked

This is a copy of my comment on Question 222419247 which was passed to the support team.

I have just done some ftp commands from a cmd line prompt.
the ls command which used to fail/hang now seems to working better.
we are due to be carrying out more testing from our laptop this afternoon at 16.00
I will report back on those.
Thanks, Ralph

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

No problem @RalphHVH, please let me know how it goes.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
RalphHVH
Hooked

Fix

Having carried out more tests from our laptop, it now appears that the plusnet ftp connection is working properly.
Therefore we are happy to close this question 222419247 and the associated community forum thread.
Since the original start of this question some days ago, the ftp connection has certainly improved.
I send a big thank you from the volunteers at Holt Village Hall for all your efforts to get us back and running. We really appreciate it.
Thank you all
Ralph

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Ralph, cheers for getting back to us.

Awesome, I'm glad to see that your FTP connection's working OK now. Smiley

Let us know if there's ever anything else you'd need help with. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet