Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webspace cant upload files

FIXED
RalphHVH
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Webspace cant upload files

We have a website holtvillagehall.co.uk which is hosted by business plusnet and has been in use for years and new bookings data is uploaded weekly.

A while ago the uploading failed to work.

The upload is to ft.plus.net from our web design app netobjects fusion.

if i ping holtvillagehall.co.uk or holtvillagehall.plus.com it fails, is this a hint of problem.

I have tried to see if I can connect to ft.plus.net but to no avail.

I tried to get phone help but they say they will not help webspace hosting customers.

We need to get our website updated soonest so that hirers can get current information.

regards ralph

41 REPLIES 41
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Webspace cant upload files

The upload is to ft.plus.net

@RalphHVH  is that a typo , because AFAIK it should be ftp.plus.net

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RalphHVH
Hooked

Yes I'm afraid it is a typo in my post.
The web design app has ftp.plus.net as the server name.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Are you trying to ftp from a non plusnet connection? It's a while since I've used my legacy webspace but I seem to recall that you can only ftp from a plusnet connection.

Failing that , it's likely that we're going to have to wait for one of the experienced plusnetbhelp team staff to pickup this thread.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RalphHVH
Hooked

Hi MisterW

We are trying to upload a webpage from the webdesign app called NetObject Fusion, which resides on our laptop with Windows.

This process has been carried each week for many years, the page is a text page showing a calendar month of hall bookings.

The upload now does not work.

I need to know if anything at Plusnet has stopped working.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

What error do you get from the attempt to ftp ?

I'm not aware of any general problem with ftp to webspace. It is a legacy facility though which probably explains why customer support were not as helpful as they might have been. 

If one of the help team don't respond, then I'll try and check ftp to my webspace tomorrow ( if I can remember my password!)

RalphHVH
Hooked

Hi MisterW

Thank you for helping me.

I contacted my son who is more familiar with ftp, he was able to log in to ftp, he could see the directory name, however could not list files. He suspects that the ftp server is sad!! Here is a copy of the dialogue.

C:\Users\User1>ftp ftp.plus.net

Connected to ftp.plus.net.

220-PLEASE NOTE: If you have a non-subscription account you

will only be able to login to this ftp server if you are

dialled into our network.

A Maximum of 4 concurrent connections are allowed to this

server, each session is limited to 256KB/s downloads.

220 Plus.Net FTP Server #1 ready

200 UTF8 set to on

User (ftp.plus.net:(none)): holtvillagehall

331 Password required for holtvillagehall

Password:

230 User holtvillagehall logged in

ftp> cd htdocs

250 CWD command successful

ftp> pwd

257 "/htdocs" is the current directory

ftp> ls

200 PORT command successful

150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list

<Hangs – no further response. Sometimes it closes the remote connection.>

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@RalphHVH  very strange!

I've just tried my webspace and I can access it fine via ftp. So there doesn't appear to a general problem with ftp.plus.net.

There are limits on the size of webspace and (i think!) bandwidth to/from your site, i wonder if that might be the problem. You can check the space usage from your member centre.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Ralph,

I'm really sorry to see you're having issues uploading files to your webspace. 

I've checked your webspace allowance and it looks like you have 473MB left so that doesn't seem to be the issue.

I've refreshed the webspace component on your account, though I'm not confident that would help, so I've also raised a ticket (ref: 6003437) into our hosting partner, Hostopia, for some support. 

Once I've got a response back, I'll update the ticket 222419247 logged Here which should be today or tomorrow.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks Anoush

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Gandalf ftp.plus.net is the Plusnet Homepages platform. It has nothing to do with Hostopia Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@bobpullen

I'll be honest I was scratching my head for about half an hour as my usual go to guy for webspace issues is out of the office, so I took a shot in the dark if Hostopia were able to support. Do you know how we can raise the issue and fix? Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@RalphHVH in the meantime, could you check if things are any different after I’ve refreshed the webspace component on your account?

I’m more hopeful now that this may have a positive effect given that the issue won’t be anything on Hostopia’s side. Thinking about it, they only take care of our CCGI.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RalphHVH
Hooked

Hi Gandalf

I must say thank you to you and others for trying to assist me with this problem.

Here is a refresh of the problems.

Looking at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/about-your-plusnet-webspace/ in the section, ‘how do I see files’, there is a reference to ‘standard webspace’ and ‘Plusnet Hosting CGI’

I do not know which of these has our website on, there is no reference to our hosting in our Plusnet account, but it is obviously there somewhere.

I have tried logging into ftp.plus.net and most of the time this appears to work, I can ‘cd’, ‘pwd’, ‘ls’ and ‘put test.txt’. However it frequently stops with a message ‘Connection closed by remote host’ at which stage I have to ‘bye’ and start again. Is this a normal activity?

If you would find it useful I could let you know our password so you could try to login, (phone me).

We have tried again to use the ‘NetObjects Fusion 2015’ app on the laptop to ‘Publish’ a modified page such as ‘March’ or ‘April’ but it fails to do the upload.

Could there be anything within our webspace that is causing the upload of changed pages to fail?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Gandalf wrote:

Do you know how we can raise the issue and fix? Smiley

Assuming @RalphHVH is happy to relay the FTP password (not in this thread obviously), then it's one or Net-Ops to try replicating/investigating 👍

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵