Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Re: Upgrade?

@woodchipchris wrote:

No.  And a browse of their standard offerings suggest that (after the first customer-grabbing) 18 months may look fairly prohibitive. 

Are you looking at the business packages? I wouldn't call £33pm (+VAT) for a 400/40Mbps service on a 24 month contract prohibitive. Even adding £7pm for a VoIP phone account seems competitive with Openreach resellers to me.

woodchipchris
Hooked

No, I wasn't.  Being (well) retired, I wasn't necessarily looking for a business account any more.  But their basic domestic package at £26 suddenly jumps from £26 to £51 once out of the "Introductory Offer" - and that include weekends only phone calls.  Other times are at something like 22p per minute.

The business package looks marginally better.

But, at present, if one of us has a Zoom meeting, for eaxample, we need to shut down all other systems that might take up bandwidth or it keeps freezing.  Often freezes anyway.

Chat with neighbours suggest that BT (and PlusNet) can deliver FTTC with c. 70Mb - which will be fine for me.  I think I need to get onto the help line again.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Fix

@woodchipchris 

You need to phone the Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 not the Help Desk

HTH

woodchipchris
Hooked

Thanks for that, Dan_the_Van.

I finally got through to someone who helped!  I'm signed up to Unlimited Fibre Extra as a domestic customer though the actual cost is not very much different from Virgin's offer. 

Financially (taking into account Virgin's 6 month free trial and £200 Amazon voucher) it wouldn't make a lot of difference.  After 18 months, this headline "£23 per month" (actually £34 with calls) turns into some £58 per month.  Very equivalent to what I'd pay Virgin. 

The game-changer is that I have around £20 per month discount here for my referrals. 
And I do try to stay loyal - though that is very devalued currency nowadays...

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hey Chris,

I've just had a look to make sure things are in order. I've placed a marker on your business account so that we won't charge you a termination fee for that cancellation once the transfer completes. I've also moved your referrals across to your residential account now to avoid them being lost when your business account is cancelled.

When the transfer completes on the 2nd November, we'll finally change your landline number back for you. 

Let me know if there's anything else you'd need help with. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
woodchipchris
Hooked

That's all very excellent!  I know it is difficult when different sections of a large organisation have to collaborate.  My early enquiries seemed to hit a brick wall wherever I turned - I should have thought of asking the community a good deal earlier!

Many thanks!
Chris

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Ah no problem at all Chris, let me know if you have any further issues Smiley

Cheers 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet