Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic Shaping and usage.

stevyd10
Dabbler

Traffic Shaping and usage.

Hey,
I'm on a legacy "Force9 Business Premier up to 8Mb" package.
When signing up I thought that there was no traffic shaping what so ever on the line however now I see this page is up (could have missed it before):
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/speed.shtml#option3
Is my line actually shaped? Is it the same shaping as the new option3?
Also my other question is (because I saw somewhere here you put a cap 512kbps at peak times due to heavy usage) what is actually the point where you call heavy usage? Is there a fair use as I certainly cannot find it anywhere!
Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
James
Grafter

Re: Traffic Shaping and usage.

Hiya,
We do prioritise various different types of traffic on our Business products.  It's mainly a case of reducing priority on P2P/Usenet apps and ensuring that time sensitive traffic (VPN, Web, Email, etc) comes down the line as fast as possible.
Where did you see the bit about 512Kbps restrictions?
stevyd10
Dabbler

It was 500kb actually and here is the post: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,74570.0.html
So do you have a figure that you say is to much in usage?
James
Grafter

Ah.
This is *extremely* rare.  It happens in isolated instances where we're seeing an extremely high (hundreds of gigabytes) level of usage during residential peak hours (4pm to midnight).
atbs1
Grafter

I'm considering moving over to the Business Broadband Option3, my question is why pay per month more than Plusnet Unlimited?  Unlimited is £19 and Option 3 is £25.  Also, in analysing broadband download speed between the two products it seems that the business product is more throttled than the residential one - the row I reviewd was Download sites. Surely there MUST be something wrong here?
James
Grafter

For starters, you're not allowed to use Unlimited for commercial use.
Secondly, the traffic restrictions will be more favourable for Business users.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/speed.shtml#business
atbs1
Grafter

Thanks for that information Jameseh. Specifically between 1200 to 1800 BBO3 has a worse download site speed than Unlimited. 2200-2400 BBO3 is quicker. So how is that more favourable to business then?
James
Grafter

We prioritise business traffic, such as VPN, VoIP, Web, Email, etc.
I doubt many businesses will be using sites associated with large downloads.  Ultimately, there's a chance our business packages aren't suited to you and we're not forcing you to use them.  If they are suitable, by all means go for it!
mentalist3d
Grafter

I'm shortly to be a new Home user with PlusNet and if it all goes well and I am happy with the product I was considering getting Business broadband (option 3) for new premises we are relocating to, however this post has caught my interests on what traffic is prioritised for businesses and so I have a question about its suitability for my needs.
Basically I am a webmaster for a video production company, we also do web design, so for my own business needs, I occasionally have to upload or download several Gb of data to and from our server over the space of a couple of days.  This is usually only once a month but can increase if we are busy. Will the speed of uploading and downloading be limited?
James
Grafter

Hi there,
I think you should be absolutely fine.
If you look at http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/speed.shtml#business
You should see that we don't rate limit internal or external FTP speeds.
mentalist3d
Grafter

Thanks for the quick reply, that's cleared up my query, cheers  Smiley