cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP address

devonshireh1
Hooked

Static IP address

Short story: is it possible to request a static IP address for a business fibre account here, please? It used to be available through the online interface, but that option appears to have been removed now. It also used to be that tech support could do that efficiently over the phone - that is gone as well (see below).

Long story: I called business tech support 10/11/2022 (3 days ago) and spoken to a guy who had no idea what a fixed/static IP is. He put me on hold, went to ask his colleagues, and came back claiming this is a billing matter. I explained to him that I requested a number of static IP's with Plusnet over the years for various clients' connections, and usually tech support can set one up immediately. He said he will go and ask again and put me on hold, but actually he just put me through to billing. Of course, billing confirmed it is not something they can help with. Then again on hold for a while, while billing tried to put me back through to tech support. Eventually they said they can't put me through to tech support, and that they will ask their manager to solve my problem(?) I've checked my support tickets following this link: https://portal.plus.net/wizard/?p=search and there are 6 different closed support tickets opened and closed on 10/11/2022. I can't follow exactly what is going on, one ticket says the static IP was set, another ticket seems to suggest it was reconfigured, and the last one seems to suggest it was removed. I've had no communication from Plusnet in the meanwhile. 

Short story - is there anyone in Plusnet who can still setup a static IP, please.

6 REPLIES 6
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: Static IP address

The short answer is yes!

The helpful answer is that the social team have done this before.

The not so helpful answer is that the guy who used to do most of the forum work has been seconded elsewhere ... so you'll need to wait for one of the others to pick this up.  Business support should have sorted this for you.  Are you sure that you reached the business support team (rather than residential support)?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

devonshireh1
Hooked

Thank you for getting back to me. In reply to your question - yes - I double-checked I was speaking to business tech support. Well, at least that's what I was told - I can only go by what I was told.

I called business tech support again on 12/11/2022 - this time I spoke to a guy who at least knew what a static IP. He didn't really explain why it is so much trouble getting the static IP setup. He said he has again configured it on the account, and I should wait for a few hours until the setting kicks in. It is now Monday the 14/11/2022. I haven't had any confirmation email from Plusnet either way. Logging into the support system I can see another open and closed ticket from 12/11/2022, stating:

"Sent 'auto_configure' signal to component (ADSL Residental single static IP)"

After restarting the router, the IP address is still the same as before - but I have no idea if that is because the fixed IP has been setup, or for some other reason. There is a question mark regarding the "ADSL Residential single static IP" phrasing above - I don't know if there's been a mix up there, or that's what is supposed to look like.

It really is a head scratcher as to why setting a static IP on a business connection with Plusnet requires so much effort.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@devonshireh1 - if you can provide me with a ticket reference from the account then I'll take a look for you.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

devonshireh1
Hooked

Thank you @bobpullen - much appreciated. The latest ticket number is 229088695

Also I'm not sure why the tickets are opened and then immediately closed. Seems a bit pointless, as the matter was never resolved. It would make more sense to leave the ticket open, and add further comments to the same ticket, instead of having (so far) 7 tickets for one issue.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@devonshireh1 - that 'ticket' has been auto-generated in response to some activity that was carried out against the account. It's intended as an audit trail, rather than a two-way support interaction.

Anyway, should be sorted now. I've assigned you a static IP in the 212.159.0.0/16 range. The connection will have dropped briefly as the new IP was applied.

Apologies for the hassle.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

devonshireh1
Hooked

Many many thanks for the quick replies and for assigning the IP address. I also need an rDNS record - but I'll start a separate thread for that - to keep things tidy. I hope that's ok. Thank you again.