Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business email address

FIXED
Grend
Dabbler

Business email address

We have an email address with PN which ends with  @th???ys.plus.net.

Isn't this just a domain name that I could get hosted my my new provider and so retain the 15 year old email address?

Doing a search on who.is returned    ns1.force9.net hostmaster@plus.net.uk 20230.........

7 REPLIES 7
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Re: Business email address

Fix

@Grend wrote:

We have an email address with PN which ends with  @th???ys.plus.net.

Isn't this just a domain name that I could get hosted my my new provider and so retain the 15 year old email address?

I'm afraid not. plus.net is the domain and any prefixes are just sub-domains. The plus.net domain belongs to Plusnet (BT) and they won't be giving that up just yet.

Plusnet could choose to sell e-mail accounts, but they have decided not to.

I would check the availability of 

• th???ys.co.uk
  • th???ys.uk
  • th???ys.com

etc, with a good registry company (there are a lot of top level domains these days, but be careful - some are less respectable than others). Also check the pricing - there is often a cheap offer to register them and a bigger renewal charge. 

As for registrars/hosting, I use Namesco , others may be able to recommend other decent companies. (I only use Namesco for DNS, and run email and web hosting in-house).

Then get your company e-mail addresses changed as soon as possible.

Grend
Dabbler

Ah ok, Thanks for the info, I thought that would have been far too easy!

For those with a resededtial PN account, what is the format for their email addresses - or are you saying PN don't offer email addresses at all?

G

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@Grend 

The format for those who already have one is exactly the same. However the email service is no longer available to new customers.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

corringham
Seasoned Champion

@Grend wrote:

For those with a resededtial PN account, what is the format for their email addresses - or are you saying PN don't offer email addresses at all?

I run my own e-mail servers, so have never used Plusnet's e-mail. However, there is an Email Guide in the FAQs that might help.

I seem to remember that a while ago it was stated somewhere that e-mail may/will be withdrawn at some point, so I'd still consider moving to a more permanent solution. I'm sure someone will correct me if Plusnet do intend to continue e-mail indefinitely

UPDATE: I see @Baldrick1 beat me to it, and confirms that e-mail is no longer available to new customers. That's yet another FAQ that needs to be updated then!.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

@Grend if you decide to get another domain as @corringham suggests and are looking for a reasonably priced hosted email service , then take a look at https://www.mythic-beasts.com/hosting . Their email offering is similar to PN, unlimited mailboxes & aliases ( subject to total storage ). They also provide SPF & DKIM as standard.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@corringham 

To quote from the Plusnet home page advertising what they now market: https://www.plus.net/broadband/

Great value broadband only packages

The page you quote is irrelevant to new customers.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

corringham
Seasoned Champion

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@corringham 

To quote from the Plusnet home page advertising what they now market: https://www.plus.net/broadband/

Great value broadband only packages

The page you quote is irrelevant to new customers.

It is in the FAQs that are available from the FAQs button - nothing says it is no longer applicable. A LOT of the visible information is no longer appropriate - for example, if I go to the Plusnet home page and check what is available for me I get told phone lines and great value call packages await:

Unlimited Broadband

5 - 11Mb
estimated download speed£27.99a month*
18 month contract

Package and speed details
  • 2.5Mb minimum guaranteed speed

• 1Mb estimated upload speed
  • £0 activation fee, was £5
  • Phone line included
  • Plusnet SafeGuard and Plusnet Protect powered by Norton included

Your estimated speed

When you check availability we'll estimate the speed you should get. If you can provide a telephone number, the actual speed you'll get should fall within the range we believe your line will support.

Your phone line is included

We've also got great value call plans so you’ll get more from your phone and broadband.