cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business account closure possibly moving back to residential and rdns

Louc
Grafter

Re: Business account closure possibly moving back to residential and rdns

@Louc there's a link in that thread to https://github.com/clayface/VF-UK-Asterisk-config which should give more details for asterisk. I run Freepbx/Asterisk in the office with 20 DID numbers on an A & A account but use Localphone for outgoing as its 1/2 the price of A & A rates.

LocalPhone is a new one on me I will need to look at that

As regards Vodafone Business I am cautiously optimistic/impressed. I am not due to go live for another 15 days but I already have my VDSL user name and password. Would have been better if they had mentioned this a week ago when I rang them on more then one occasion to enquire about using my own router. I would have switched then if I had known I was getting the details that far in advance. Just need to see how quickly I can get the IP address.

knowdice
Rising Star

@Louc It took 72 hours to get a static public IP from Vodafone, they say it should take 24 hours 🙄

You will get an email to confirm when this happens.

Louc
Grafter

@knowdice wrote:

@Louc It took 72 hours to get a static public IP from Vodafone, they say it should take 24 hours 🙄

You will get an email to confirm when this happens.

Was this once you had gone live and did you have a dynamic one in the meantime? Once I am live I suppose I can run a Whats My IP and see what comes up. Is there any way of checking on your portal login as to what type of IP address you have?

knowdice
Rising Star

Yes, that was after going live.

Dynamic ones change every time you reboot your router, they are not "sticky" at all...

Typically dynamic seem to be [for me] 84.67.xx.xx through to 84.69.xx.xx ish

Whereas my static is 193.237.xx.xx

Also, took a while to get the phone enabled on the WiFi Hub, needed 2nd line support to configure it.

Note that phone LED on hub only comes on once configured not when you plug a phone in [as one of Vodafone's chat person suggested]

mssystems
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

@Townman wrote:

I think you miss the point - one cannot deliver FTTC / SOGEA without a copper line.  For A&A to be offering SOGEA at a similar price to everyone else (or somewhat higher) and then adding £10 on top if someone else is not providing the copper is disingenuous....

I think we will need to agree to disagree on this.  My point is that A&A are not the ones milking customers.  A&A are not claiming to provide the cheapest service, they are not claiming to copy the mainstream ISP pricing models.  Historically A&A were selling broad band to network menagers purchasing on behalf of small and medium businesses.  Above the level of SoHo and micro-business it is much more common to find data, voice and copper under separate contracts from multiple suppliers.  A&A may be selling a service that does not suit you or even the majority of consumers but that does not prove they are being dishonest or disengenous.

The practice is no different to buying a new car ... then finding out you'll be charged extra to put tyres on it.

If you buy a new car you will be charged Vehicle Excise Duty on top of the price imposed by the manufacturer and the retailer.  The VED is collected by the retailer but rests with the DVLA.  That is the example I would use.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

As regards Vodafone Business I am cautiously optimistic/impressed.

@Louc I'm afraid I had a bit of a horror situation with VF Business, so vowed never to touch them with the proverbial!!.

At our original office we had two FTTC connections , one VF Business and one Zen Business and TBH the service was fine with both. The problems only occurred when we moved offices. To make sure there was a connecion at both offices during the move, I first moved the Zen account to the new office , no problem. The plan was to then move the VF one once all the staff had moved. Problem was there was only one line at the new office, so when I asked VF to move the connection I told them they needed to install a new line (and deliberately did not give them the number of the existing line ). VF tried 3 times to take over the now Zen line!!  despite Zen cancelling the takeover and me telling VF to install a new line each time. Eventually I gave up and told them to cancel everything and that I wanted no further dealing with them.

Hopefully your experience wont be a probelm as it was only the move that was an issue

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Louc
Grafter

@MisterW 

@knowdice 

To me there is quite a lot of misleading advertising with many of the so called business broadband providers. I never regarded Plusnet as being a true Business broadband provider, at least not after about 7 years of being with them, just a business offering in name only. I suspect Vodafone are the same. The fact that they cannot hand out the static IP address before going live sort of underlines this. I will speak to them closer to the switchover. But with conversations I have already had with them they don't seem to understand that for business continuity (not a massive issue for me but still an issue) you need the new address in order to switch your records over in the relevant areas where this is required. If not services like email stop. (if like me you are running your own mail server). They just don't seem to get it. I will use the dynamic one allocated as a very short stop gap but that is assuming the connection does not reset itself which might be possible during the 10 day connection/training period, especially in the first few days.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I suspect Vodafone are the same. The fact that they cannot hand out the static IP address before going live sort of underlines this. I will speak to them closer to the switchover.

@Louc  I'm pretty sure you're right. IIRC we ordered a block of 8 statics from them at the old office and I'm sure they couldnt tell us what they would be until the order actually completed. Certainly there was no separate business move team, they always answered the phone as 'home moves' !

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Louc
Grafter

@MisterW 

@Louc  I'm pretty sure you're right. IIRC we ordered a block of 8 statics from them at the old office and I'm sure they couldnt tell us what they would be until the order actually completed. Certainly there was no separate business move team, they always answered the phone as 'home moves' !

There is another pointer to this. The email I received giving me my VDSL login details (which made me feel good to begin with) said, This is your user name and password. If you are a Consumer put @broadband.vodafone.co.uk after the user name and if you are business put @businessbroadband.vodafone.co.uk after the user name. If this was just business there should be no mention of Consumer. That's my opinion any way.

Louc
Grafter

I feel as though I have just had some validity given to my comment about being paranoid (flag on my account etc) This morning I received an email from LinkedIn to say that somebody from Plusnet had viewed my profile (Not that it's up to date)

Louc
Grafter

Good evening,

I have been meaning to post for a while but what with the countless emails etc. with Plusnet and then Vodafone I needed a break. Anyway, I did finally go with Vodafone and I was very surprised at how seamless it all was. I received my single static ip address without a problem (have not asked for multiples yet) and the connection is very stable and more consistent then it was with Plusnet. My email is flowing both ways without an issue. The one outstanding issue is with my landline which I ported over to Vodafone as a digital line. Basically I can't use it unless I user their router which is barely residential grade let alone business. I have my sip details for my landline but I cannot get it to work in asterisk or my siemens ip system or my Grandstream standalone ip phone. This evening I had to ring for a portal login issue and I decided to ask about porting my digital number out, I had already been told this was not possible earlier. I confirmed that my connection is SOGEA but according to Vodafone this does not matter, if you port the number the broadband goes with it and he seemed to think that all providers have the same rule. My understanding was that this was the point of digital lines, that the two were separate and were not dependent on each other. I will go to ofcom with this for clarification though I may have an issue with this. I asked for a resolution escalation which is required and was told that as Vodafone did not see this as an issue from their perspective that this was not possible. This made me laugh as obviously a disagreement of opinions is why you go to bodies like ofcom in the first place. Anyway I asked him to enter what we had discussed on my account but wondered if anybody had come across this issue here before I go to oifcom.

Thanks

Lou

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Louc wrote:

I will go to ofcom with this for clarification though I may have an issue with this. I asked for a resolution escalation which is required and was told that as Vodafone did not see this as an issue from their perspective that this was not possible.

In which case, you should ask for a 'deadlock letter', advising them that given they will not deal with this (escalate in accordance with their complaints procedures) to your satisfaction, that you are taking the matter to ADR (with CISAS).  See Making a complaint and using ADR schemes - Ofcom

From CISAS's pages...

What is deadlock?

If your communications provider is unable to agree with you on a mutually acceptable resolution to your complaint, and no further proposals are forthcoming, you may receive a letter or email from them with the title ‘deadlock letter’ or ‘final response’. This will tell you that they will not be able to put forward any further proposals and will tell you that you can apply to CISAS if you wish.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Louc there's a long thread here https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Landline/Landline-phone-with-own-router-on-FTTP/td-p/2709457 which seems to imply that people have got Vodafone working on other hardware