cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business IP Block - no longer available?

acomass

Business IP Block - no longer available?

Hi, can someone confirm that Business IP blocks are no longer being allocated. I see the website still says 4/8/16 ip blocks can be requested. I upgraded up to business fibre and requested a new block of 16 IPs (currently have 8 ).
Support have said PN no longer will issue blocks of 16 and blocks of 8 are not likely to be allocated either.
I would like some confirmation, as this seems unfair having just signed up to 2 years and business broadband. If I'd known I would have simply gone to BT Business.
* edit: I did go through and fill in the RIPE form justification
16 REPLIES 16
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Business IP Block - no longer available?

I'm sure that's not right.  Residential accounts don't, but I'm sure I've seem a couple of queries about Business accounts recently.  I'm sure one of the digital Care guys will be along before too long and will be able to clear it up.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

For 8 and 16 blocks the request goes via a manager in the Business Support Centre and then to our Networks team to verify the RIPE form and authorise the block, if they see that the same effect can be done by NAT or other means then it's likely the block will be refused.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
acomass

The should I resubmit the ticket?  because I was simply told that a 16 block is no longer issued - regardless of justification.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Sorry, I've just spoken to the Business team and 16 blocks aren't something that we're offering at the moment. We're updating the website to reflect this (should be updated in a few weeks).
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
acomass

Hi Chris, thanks for the confirmation.
But isn't badly misleading. I mean I signed up to the Business Plan 24 months, 42 pounds a month. I checked the IP policies (said updated May 2013) before signing up. So I assumed it was safe to do so.
IF I had known that the 16 static IPs were not available, then I probably would have signed up either to a smaller plan, a residential plan or not at all, and instead gone to BT Business and paid the money there for the extended block and unlimited plan. At least I would have planned correctly.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi acomass,
Unfortunately blocks of IP block allocations aren't guaranteed, as much as we’d love to be able to provide all of our customers with the IP addresses that they require, IP addresses are a finite resource so it’s just not something we can do.
We are taking steps to update our website to ensure that this is clearer to prospective and existing customers. We’re also looking into alternatives to IPv4 addresses. Please accept my apologies if you feel that you have been mislead in anyway. Please do let me know if there is anything further I can help with.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

As this is a detrimental change to the service he signed up for I presume that you have notified him that he may cancel the contract with no penalty?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Though I’m not legally trained, I don’t believe this is a detrimental change. The availability of an IP address block was never guaranteed, indeed it was explicitly stated as subject to further verification.
acomass

Hi, except I look at this page
http://www.plus.net/support/service/policies/IP_block_allocation.shtml (dated 29t May 2013)
Customers can request 4,8,16 IP block.
And it says a justification is needed and "must be authorised by our network team", for 16 IP Blocks,
and also provides guidance on what is acceptable and what would be rejected.
The new policy unless I am mistaken is :
No 16IP blocks will be allocated at all, full stop.
8 IP blocks only in exceptional circumstances.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi, except I look at this page
http://www.plus.net/support/service/policies/IP_block_allocation.shtml (dated 29t May 2013)
Customers can request 4,8,16 IP block.
And it says a justification is needed and "must be authorised by our network team", for 16 IP Blocks, and also provides guidance on what is acceptable and what would be rejected.

This is what is going to be updated as per the above responses.
The new policy unless I am mistaken is :
No 16IP blocks will be allocated at all, full stop.
8 IP blocks only in exceptional circumstances.
That's correct.
dick:green Quote fixed.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Chris
Though I’m not legally trained, I don’t believe this is a detrimental change. The availability of an IP address block was never guaranteed, indeed it was explicitly stated as subject to further verification.

But that verification was to determine if it was a valid request. From what you are saying, even if the request was totally valid you still won't provide a 16 IP block.
The customer researched the policy before he bought and made a decision based on your stated policies - those policies whether you like it or not form part of the contract. The policies still say a 16 IP block is available (see first screen grab).
As you have refused his request I presume you have adhered to the last paragraph of the second screen grab of your policy and advised him how he can achieve what is needed using NAT?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jelv
As per Chris' post above, unfortunately the reasons for refusing these IP requests are not because we're trying to be difficult or unhelpful, but because static IPs are a finite resource and we cannot assign them following the policy we've previously had in place.
The customer researched the policy before he bought and made a decision based on your stated policies - those policies whether you like it or not form part of the contract.

I'd be happy to discuss this directly with acomass if he'd like.
As you have refused his request I presume you have adhered to the last paragraph of the second screen grab of your policy and advised him how he can achieve what is needed using NAT?

If acomass would appreciate some advice with regards to this, we'll do our best to help. I haven't seen any such request from him as yet.
dragon2611
Grafter

I'm surprised that Blocks of 4 are no longer available  Shocked
EBR

Is someone from Plusnet able to confirm that blocks of 8 IP addresses are really no longer available, as has been suggested by the Business sales team on the phone?
I wanted to transfer from a residential plusnet account to a business one for the sole purpose of getting a block of static IPs (I intend to run a number of services using same same external port, so NAT would not do the job) so this feature no longer being available will force me to move to another supplier. I am not sure what would prove to be an exceptional circumstance as mentioned earlier in the thread, other than the fact that I would need a number of IP addresses to do what I need to do with my system?
Thanks,
Ed