cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wireless speed poor using dlink dsl-260b/dwa-111 and disconnecting problem lan

axlstod
Grafter

wireless speed poor using dlink dsl-260b/dwa-111 and disconnecting problem lan

hi all just wondering if anyone can tell me why when i connect my wireless adapter my connection speeds drop by half according to http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/ tried a few other speed testers with the same results.
currently getting 2378 kbps but using the ethernet cable i get about 4600 kbps upload minimum ,up load speed is also down at about 230 was getting 460.
will keep it wired if theres not a solution because my connection on xbox live is pretty good wired.
only tried it wireless due to having a disconnection problem occasionally when someone rang me,checked all microfilters but no joy.
was kinda hoping wireless was going to be better than it is.
wireless connection is green and signal strength is excellent,modem is next to pc,says speed is 54.0mbps
i have 2 of these modems but both speeds are the same.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks.

18 REPLIES 18
Denzil
Grafter

Re: wireless speed poor using dlink dsl-260b/dwa-111 and disconnecting problem lan

Firstly, it is against the <a href="http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,218.0.html">forum rules</a> to cross post i.e. post the same question in more than one section.
Do you have the same standard of card/adaptor at both ends? If one is a slower standard it will run at the slower speed. if you can tell us exactly what your hardware is it will be easier to help (router and wifi card models).
axlstod
Grafter

Re: wireless speed poor using dlink dsl-260b/dwa-111 and disconnecting problem lan

hi modem is the d-link dsl-2640b and the wireless connector is dwa-111 ,it is the odem package that you get free when you sign up with plusnet.
thanks for the advice on the double post i will remove the other one now.
MickKi
Grafter

Unlike the ethernet card your wireless connection is half-duplex, not full-duplex.
godsell4
Rising Star

The 54Mb Wifi connection is in reality 54/2 Mb in each direction, so is more than capable of transferring data at 4.6Mb.
You mention the Xbox, is the DWA-111 connected to the Xbox or a PC. I assume a PC is involved, and so ask you to go to the Device Manager, find the 'Network Adaptor' icon for the DWA-111 and look through all the options that mention 'increase throughput' which you want to increase/enable or 'optimise for power' which you want to decrease/disable.
If that does not work, you need to look at changing the MTU value used by the wireless card.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
axlstod
Grafter

hi again think ive sorted it i changed the rwin and im now getting speeds of 4500 upload speed is still slow though.any ideas?Huh
also does anyone have any ideas on why i get disconnected on some occasions when i receive a phone call.
thanks again.
Denzil
Grafter

Do you have a cordless DECT phone? They often to cause problems like this. Putting two microfilters one after the other in the phone line often seems to help.
James
Grafter

Really?
I'd expect that to break more than it fixes.
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

I have seen conflicting advice on these forums from both HPsauce and PRichardson. I have tried double filtering my DECT phone, but I cannot conclusively say that this has been successful. It certainly has not made my broadband connection any less stable, then again it didn't cure the problem of frequent reconnects (see my thread on 'Fitting Filters' for a comparison of router stats). In my experience it is probably worth trying out and some systematic monitoring to see if it makes any difference. Maybe someone who has a stable connection and a DECT phone would be willing to try it out and post back a conclusion.
My other car isn't a Ferrari
James
Grafter

Personally I'd have expected changing the wireless channel to have better results, but I definitely agree that trial and error would be the way forwards Smiley
maranello
Pro

Sorry, I may have been a bit blinkered in my response as I do not have/use wireless broadband. Is the 'disconnecting' problem related to the wireless connection between laptop and router, or are there two problems, one associated with the speed of the wireless connection and the other affecting the router losing sync with the exchange?
James
Grafter

There's two problems being reported here.
The first one was that the wireless connection speed was giving throughout of half of which was being given when using a wired connection. (Now fixed by changing rWin)
The second problem was that of the broadband disconnecting when the phone rings - which I thought that changing the wireless channel would be a good place to start.
maranello
Pro

Having read the start of the thread, I think the OP is suggesting that the connection was OK when wired, but lost connection when using wireless. So Jameseh is most likely right in suggesting that changing wireless channels would be the best thing to try.
Just ignore me, brain fade is starting early this week!
Denzil
Grafter

Hmm, maybe I am wrong, but there have been several posts by people here suggesting that helped with noisy DECT phones. If it doesn't work, you can always unplug one of them!
James
Grafter

Yep, but that kind of defeats the point of having a phone Smiley