cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wireless connection problems

andyroy77

wireless connection problems

hi,
if anyone can offer any advice i would be extremely grateful.
i have just started using PN and can connect to the internet using a ethernet cable but i cannot connect using wireless. i have a full strength signal but it refuses to connect. i tried a friends' computer and his connected immediately. he has vista, i have xp. i could connect to my previous broadband provider wirelessly  with no problems.
help!!
11 REPLIES 11
dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Re: wireless connection problems

welcome to the forums Smiley
Are you entering the password correctly? It's case sensitive.
What error are you getting?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You may well find that your wireless card or USB wireless dongle needs it's own software installing
andyroy77

that was quick,
i entered the network key in correctly (i know that's ok cos it worked on my friends computer). as for software for my wireless card, i haven t needed any when i have connected to numerous other wireless networks, do you think i need it now? if so where do you get it from.
thanks for any suggestions.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

If it worked on other wireless networks then it isn't software.
It might be that your computer is seeing the Thompson router but there is already a profile for a Thompson router set up in XP.
Have a look and if there is you will need to delete it.
Try Control Panel> Network Connections> right-click Wireless Network Connection> Properties> Wireless Networks tab> select the network> Remove.
andyroy77

thanks,
unfortunatly it didn't do the trick.
is there anyway i can turn off the security encryption feature to see if that's the problem or am i talking rubbish. i'm desperate. everyone is tripping over the half a dozen wires i've got trailling all other the place Sad
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Assuming you are using the Plusnet router - the answer is yes under wireless settings - I think  Embarrassed because I no longer use a Speedtouch
pierre_pierre
Grafter

are you sure its your router you are trying to connect to?  right click on the wireless icon in the bottom right and check available WiFi, has it got your routers ID  i.e. Thompson12345, and are there others, you did say that you have others in your house corrected correctly, are they closer to your router?
andyroy77

hi ,
i m defenitly trying to connect to my router (the only one in my house), my friends computer connects to it immeidiatly. when i try with mine it times out without connecting after i type in the wep key. (in capitals)
i think it must be my computer not being compatible with the thomson router somehow, because i was connected to another wireless network last week.
aaaarrrrrggghhhh. 
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Did you change the security level as the Thompson has wpa encryption as the default
andyroy77

hi again,
i've just been round to friends house to try connecting to his broadband wirelessly. all i got was "aquiring network address" / "disconnected".
then i came home (with a tear in my eye) and turned the security setting on my router from wpa-psk to wpa and that did nothing. then i changed it to disabled and now i can connect wirelessly to my unsecured router. everyone following so far.
i m happy with that  Cheesy but i still would love to know what the dickins is going on.
thanks for the advice so far
cheers
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and did use use all CAPS for the WPA password? which is printed on the base of the router