Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speed

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: speed

Your stats seem fine; the wireless connections are the most likely cause of the low speeds.  I assume those use 802/11g mode?  Are you aware of anyone else nearby using a wireless connection on the same channel?
Are you able to connect the laptop directly to the router using Ethernet for testing purposes?  This would give a good "top line" figure for the speed capability (some tuning of RWIN and MTU might be necessary).
David
BLINDPEW
Grafter

Thanks i'll try and find my eternet cable and give that a go. But in the mean time I managed to get onto dsl tweaktester heres my results using my laptop with O.S xp any idea of what I should set my RWIN at using DRTCP1.
.Receive Window (RWIN):  29200
Window Scaling:  off
Path MTU Discovery:  ON
RFC1323 Window Scaling:  OFF
RFC1323 Time Stamping:  OFF
Selective Acks:  ON
MSS requested:  1460
TTL:  unknown
TTL remaining:  123
TOS flags: none set
2. Test DownloadActual data bytes sent: 1024001
Actual data packets: 703
Max packet sent (MTU): 1500
Max packet recd (MTU): 1500
Retransmitted packets: 0
sacks you sent: 0
pushed data pkts: 121
data transmit time: 5.861 secs
our max idletime: 324.5 ms
transfer rate: 161517 bytes/sec
transfer rate: 1292 kbits/sec
transfer efficiency: 100%
BLINDPEW
Grafter

Just tried connecting my laptop into the router via cable and tried 3 tests on differant speed testers still getting same speeds on all as before approx 3600.
jnwright
Grafter

Hopefully you've got DrTCP. It's available from http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp
I saved the following quote some time ago, but can't attribute it to anyone I'm afraid!
The usual rule to calculate the RWIN is to use the following
(MTU - 40) * n = RWIN
Where n is a whole number. I normally use n as throughput speed in Mbps * 10, so a 5Mbps connection is 5 * 10 = 50
The theory goes a little like this. Microsoft set up their OSs on the assumption that most PCs are used in office environments on LANs and transferring most data from local sources on that LAN.
That way the RWIN (receive window) is set fairly low. What the RWIN des is set a value of how much data is transferred before an ack packet is sent to say that it has been received.
On a LAN a small RWIN is fine because you transfer say 15000 bytes then send an ack packet that is receive within 1 or 2ms. So your transfer of a file looks like:
15000 bytes - 2ms pause - 15000 bytes - 2ms pause - 15000 bytes - 2ms pause.
But if you are downloading something from the US for example where the ping time to the server may be 150ms it may look like:
15000 bytes - 150ms pause - 15000 bytes - 150ms pause - 15000 bytes - 150ms pause.
But as 15000 bytes can be transferred in about 3ms in a 5Mbps connection the connection is idle more than it is active (although not really in a way that you would notice because we are talking about fractions of a second).
On a UK transfer with a ping time of say 30ms and an RWIN of 71600 your transfer looks more like
71600 bytes - 30ms pause - 71600 bytes - 30ms pause - 71600 bytes - 30ms pause.
71600 bytes takes about 15ms to transfer so your connection is now active a third of the time.
Increasing it again may help further, at an RWIN of 114560 (this transfers in about 25ms on a 5Mbps connection) and your connection's active about 50% of the time.

If you use a receive window value greater than 64KB you need to set Windows Scaling to Yes.
Experiment with a value of say (1500 - 40) * 8 * 10 = 116800 and Windows Scaling set to Yes and see how that goes.  You have to reboot the computer each time you change the settings.    You probably won't need to set it any higher.
There is a good blog at about Receive Window Auto-Tuning on Vista at http://blogs.msdn.com/wndp/archive/2007/07/05/receive-window-auto-tuning-on-vista.aspx
spraxyt
Resting Legend

The PlusNet recommendation for RWIN is
(MTU-40) x 10 x throughput speed rounded to Mbps.
(1500-40) x 10 x 7 = 102200 in your case.
I prefer values a little larger, 128480 in my case for the same MTU.
I suggest you use the latter value on your XP laptop.  Enter it into the top box in DrTCP; DrTCP will automatically turn on Window scaling.
Make sure the adapter you are using is shown in the Adapter Settings box (select from the drop-down list if necessary), then check the MTU box on the right shows 1500 (or is blank).
Click Save and - most important - restart your laptop.
Please do a speedtest using mybroadbandspeed and post the results image here.  You can obtain the text to post by clicking Share on the right of the tabular listing, then (if using IE as your browser) right-click in the Forum link and choose Select All, right-click again and select Copy, then click and right-click in your post and choose Paste.
As you have mentioned DrTCP is not compatible with Vista.  Let's save that for later.
David
BLINDPEW
Grafter

I have changed my settings using DRTCP on my laptop using XP but the speed tester is still showing about the same around 3600kbs. Do you think I should raise a ticket with plusnet has I have now run out of ideas.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

I don't think you have told us is which speedtester(s) you are using; are they all a long distance away that will give low speeds?  I am surprised increasing RWIN has made no difference.  Did you remember to restart your computer?
As I said in my last post please do a speedtest using mybroadbandspeed and post the results image here.  You can obtain the text to post by clicking Share on the right of the tabular listing, then (if using IE as your browser) right-click in the Forum link and choose Select All, right-click again and select Copy, then click and right-click in your post and choose Paste.
David
BLINDPEW
Grafter

[url=http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk][/ur
I did forget to reboot my laptop but even when I run DRTCP and rebooted the speed only increased to 3804kbps download and 379kbps upload but I would expect more than that.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

That test shows your upload speed is now normal, around 380kbps.  So the lower frequency transmission range seems to be performing OK.
Looking back through your posts I didn't notice whether you'd tried using a different microfilter.  Apart from that I think you have tried the standard diagnostics.  Certainly I've no other suggestions.
I do agree it's now worth PlusNet taking another look at your account settings and checking line conditions.
David
BLINDPEW
Grafter

In reply to your question regarding microfilters yes I have tried another filter I've also tried another router just to make sure it wasn't either of them playing up, but I got the same speeds so no joy there. I think i'll raise a ticket with Plusnet and let them have ago.
BLINDPEW
Grafter

The tooth fairy must have called through the night has I have done several speed checks through the day and I am now averaging 5.7mbs download and 3.8 upload. Grin
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Thanks for the feedback, it's certainly good news.  Is that download speed when connected wirelessly or by Ethernet, and on both XP laptop and Vista PC?
I assume your upload speed is 380kbps.  If it's 3.8Mbps there will be a lot of envious peeps out here.  Smiley
David
BLINDPEW
Grafter

Yes it's about the same speed on both pc and laptop. I've had upto 5.9mb this morning when I tried a speed test I was that excited I did about half a dozen tests on each machine and both were about same 5.9mb. At the moment I'm getting 5.8mb download and I'm getting 3.8mb upload speed. I haven't stopped smiling all day.
BLINDPEW
Grafter

Just thought I'd post my latest speeds which I have had since last night.  Grin
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Excellent, definitely worth the effort.
For comparison I've just had the following:

This is withsync              7712/448 kbps
                  noise margin6.8/23.0dB     
                  attenuation  32.0/16.5dB   

IP Profile is 6500kbps (as yours will be).  Connection wired Ethernet and using XP.
The results are very similar.
David