cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow speeds since moving to plusnet

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: slow speeds since moving to plusnet

in the good old CB/Highway patrol lingo, that a big old 10-4  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten-code
farina
Grafter

Hi James, sorry I couldn't pick up, I was at work.
I'll give you a try now...
James
Grafter

I'll call you and save having you waiting in the queue.
James
Grafter

Looks like you beat me to it Smiley
Like I said on the phone, if you could try to connect your rotuer directly to the test socket, we'll then be able to see if it has improved the synchronisation speeds at all.  If it does, your download speeds should increase in a few days and we'll know where the problem lies.
If it doesn't I'll go back to scratching my head, but like I said, we should be able to move you onto an ADSL2+ service as well.
I'll check again in the morning.
farina
Grafter

Thanks again James - I'm hoping you were bang on the money- when I opened the socket, the modem was already directly plugged in... but the wiring looked a right state. I've put a filter into the phone section, and plugged it into there - so far so good!
farina
Grafter

Hi James
Sorry to bother you again, but I'm not sure if I've done the right thing with my wiring.
I unscrewed the plate, and there were two portsI could connect to... one being where my modem was directly connected (no filters), and one where all my phone lines were connected (various filters). The modem port wiring looked really loose and dodgy.
What I did was put a filter directly into the modem port. and plugged in my modem and one phone into their respective sockets... is this correct?
My dad unfortunately unplugged everything this afternoon, not knowing I was testing, so I've had to move everything back since then. Still having problems today (last night was pretty seamless), but I've beared in mind what you said about 3-4 days for an improvement. However, my phone line isn't BT (something I only learnt today)... it's Sky. Not sure what difference this makes/will make if the problems continue. I'm not sure what your tests are showing, but any info would be welcome.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi farina,
Quote from: farina
there were two portsI could connect to... one being where my modem was directly connected (no filters), and one where all my phone lines were connected (various filters). The modem port wiring looked really loose and dodgy.
What I did was put a filter directly into the modem port. and plugged in my modem and one phone into their respective sockets... is this correct?

If each one has a dedicated port the modem one is usually smaller and more square than the rectangular phone plug. Would you be able to upload a photo by any chance?
As for the filter that you've plugged in, as long as the modem is plugged in to the modem side of the filter everything should be fine.
Regarding the sky line, I suspect in your case it's a resold BT phone line where BT own the wiring and make repairs but sky take care of all the billing. I'm not sure we'd have been able to install the broadband on there if it was fully unbundled, I'll check for you and post back.
Hope that helps,
James
Grafter

Hi Farina,
I've just replied to your ticket.
I'm not sure entirely what's going on with your socket - it almost sounds like it's a filtered faceplate, but I wouldn't expect there to be two ports once you've unscrewed the faceplate.  Like I said on the ticket, would it be possible to take a picture of the socket both before and after you have unscrewed the faceplate?
farina
Grafter

Quote from: orbrey

If each one has a dedicated port the modem one is usually smaller and more square than the rectangular phone plug. Would you be able to upload a photo by any chance?
As for the filter that you've plugged in, as long as the modem is plugged in to the modem side of the filter everything should be fine.
Regarding the sky line, I suspect in your case it's a resold BT phone line where BT own the wiring and make repairs but sky take care of all the billing. I'm not sure we'd have been able to install the broadband on there if it was fully unbundled, I'll check for you and post back.
Hope that helps,

Hi Orbrey
There are two dedicated ports - I already had my modem directly plugged into the modem port (for god knows how many months).
What I did the other day was pull out the modem wire from the dedicated modem port, and remove the telephone wires and filters from the telephone port. I then put a filter into the telephone port, and put the modem cable and one telephone cable into their respective ports on that filter.
I'll try to take a picture when I'm back home later. I still haven't got my mobile back so couldn't do it yesterday, but I'll hopefully have it back tonight.
farina
Grafter

Still don't have my phone back, it'll be the weekend now when I get chance to upload a picture :x
scootie
Grafter

farina is there no removable faceplate on the socket then ie there should be two screws holding what sounds like your filtered faceplate in place. if so remove this and plug in to the one socket thats behind the faceplate
farina
Grafter

yup did that with jameseh's advice on tuesday, i unscrewed the faceplate and connected directly.
James
Grafter

Yup Smiley
I'm quite impressed at how well you're coping without your mobile!
You did say that it looked a right mess once you had removed the faceplate, so it'll be good to see quite how much of a mess it actually is and also, if it is the master socket, as it can sometimes be found in some fairly random places.
farina
Grafter

It is in a VERY random place, in a fitted underground cupboard next to a bunch of switches.
Luckily I do most of my communicating through facebook, because I have a feeling I won't get my phone back today either 😕 However, I do have an old digital camera somewhere that I can probably use.
farina
Grafter

A response to my ticket, which I updated on Monday, would be appreciated because I'm away as of tomorrow until Monday, and would like to know what's going on before I leave.