cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

recognising faults

quantium
Grafter

recognising faults

We have a fault whereby when there is a sudden burst of rain, the modem remains connected to the exchange but there is no on-going connection from the exchange to the network. Disconnecting the line for a few seconds and then letting the modem renegotiate usually (but not always) clears the fault. We have had two BTOR engineers visit and they can find nothing wrong here. A third is due Tuesday (18 February 2014).
I have today started a log on the gateways to which we are connected and hope that this may throw some light on the matter.
My question on this forum is whether there is any conceivable fault on customers' premises where connection can be maintained to the exchange (ie the modem synchronises with the equipment at the exchange) and yet there is no on-going connection to the Internet, and if so please explain what it could be.
It isn't a case of the modem incorrectly reporting synchronisation, because if you pull the line out the synchronisation light goes out.
I would have thought that if a gateway fails the system ought to automatically renegotiate with another. Is this correct?
The top picture shows the fault, and the bottom on a correct connection.
3 REPLIES 3
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: recognising faults

My question on this forum is whether there is any conceivable fault on customers' premises where connection can be maintained to the exchange

It's unlikely to be honest but we do sometimes have a need to arrange engineer visits to your premises as a matter of course.
I can see on your ticket you've mentioned a man-hole near the exchange which has flooded a number of times so I would suspect that's to blame, I would mention this to the engineer set to visit you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
quantium
Grafter

...  except for the fact that it is on the first few spots of rain that the fault occurs. It has been pissing down for several hours this morning with no fault. In fact we have been connect for almost 8 hrs -- a record in recent times. I am more concerned at the possibility of some sort of mild electrical discharge as the storm starts.
quantium
Grafter

I wonder if wind direction has anything to do with it. The turbine is pointing due south at the moment and has been SW to W earlier in the week. I will add this to the log. The wind speed can be seen here:
http://wind.derivaz.com
Unfortunately the system does not show wind direction as well.