Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusnet box keeps crashing every 5 minutes

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: plusnet box keeps crashing every 5 minutes

So how does that explain that on Tuesday you turned it off around 15:50, on around 18:00, off around 19:45 and on again at about midnight? On Wednesday, on at 17:00, off at 18:30, on at 21:15. Then there's multiple disconnections between 1am and 3am - was that you rebooting the router?
If you are unhappy at leaving it on overnight (which is definitely best for keeping a good connection), it should be turned on once during daylight hours (faster connections are obtained during daylight as there is more background noise after twilight) and then left on until all usage for the day has ended.
If you look at http://www.plus.net/support/service/network_performance/broadband_bandwidth_usage.shtml#customerNumb... you'll see that the number of users connected never drops below 300,000 which indicates the vast majority of users leave their routers on 24x7.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
fishrow
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
So how does that explain that on Tuesday you turned it off around 15:50, on around 18:00, off around 19:45 and on again at about midnight? On Wednesday, on at 17:00, off at 18:30, on at 21:15. Then there's multiple disconnections between 1am and 3am - was that you rebooting the router?

If I may enquire, what makes you think he _switched_ it off/on?  From my own asking here and to a voice on the PN phoneline the graph can't differentiate between the loss of the adsl sync to the router/modem and the account login.  The purply parts meant to be session start/stop indicate the login/out and they can coincide with an actual sync loss.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If the massive gaps were not that he had turned it off don't you think he'd have posted something to say that he couldn't get connected at all for hours at a time?
fishrow
Grafter

nope
paqize
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
If you are unhappy at leaving it on overnight (which is definitely best for keeping a good connection), it should be turned on once during daylight hours (faster connections are obtained during daylight as there is more background noise after twilight) and then left on until all usage for the day has ended.
If you look at http://www.plus.net/support/service/network_performance/broadband_bandwidth_usage.shtml#customerNumb... you'll see that the number of users connected never drops below 300,000 which indicates the vast majority of users leave their routers on 24x7.

I'm not going to leave on my electrical equipment if im not using them. it's bad for the environment and health.
I've not noticed many disconnections, but i'm still getting half the speed my line can handle.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

So try leaving your equipment turned on for a few days..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: paqize
I'm not going to leave on my electrical equipment if im not using them. it's bad for the environment and health.

... and turning your router on and off a lot can be bad for your broadband connection and could possibly also be bad for your health (by causing raised blood pressure).
Your choice!