Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

newbie help in regards to line speed

chri5hill
Grafter

Re: newbie help in regards to line speed

HI Mick,
Thanks for the advice.I have resynched this morning and will leave it now for a few days to see how it goes
Many thanks for everyones help on here.
Cheers
Chris
pd
Grafter

Chris
What type of filter are you using?  If it is the cheap double-adapter type I have found that most of them will restrict your speed to no more than 2Meg.  Most of the ones I've come across with a short lead attached seem to be OK.
Peter
chri5hill
Grafter

Hi Peter,
I am using the filter that was supplied with the router(actually have changed them a few times to see if it helped with speed)they are the ones with phone and dsl connection one end and then with a little lead attached that ends in a normal phone connection that goes in the socket.
Thanks
Chris
chri5hill
Grafter

Hi all,
We had a power cut this morning and the router resynced with the following stats
ADSL Link              Downstream        Upstream
Connection Speed    1792 kbps        448 kbps
Line Attenuation          51 db              15 db
Noise Margin              10 db                23 db
So hopefully(fingers crossed)my ip profile may be raised.should this also lower my noise margin?
Thanks
Chris
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Your noise margin is a measurement of reality, but speeds etc. are set during connection by reference to a "target" margin, which appears to now be 9 (and probably was 12).
Just leave it alone and reboot the router say once a day (in the morning) and hopefully it will adjust itself as the exchange realises it's stable.
You have double-filtered that Sky box by now, haven't you?  Roll_eyes