Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

loklok speed problem

loklok
Grafter

loklok speed problem

Hi,
I am having a problem over the last week with my speed dropping quite a bit, I'm on Plusnet Unlimited (Contracted) and know that because of where I live this means a max speed of about 8mb/s. I am now getting much lower as seen here:
- -
There is something really wrong with these results?
Cheers

13 REPLIES 13
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

loklok speed problem

1. TBB Ping Graphs is not an appropriate topic for this post - I've reported this to the moderators so it can be split off and put in an appropriate place.
2. Could you reply with the information requested here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: loklok speed problem

@loklok
From our point of view we can see that your connection profile as lowered itself following a speight of disconnections in the past week or so.
Things look to be stable at the moment so we've submitted an SNR reset which should complete within the next 24 hours and hopefully lead to some improvement for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
loklok
Grafter

Thanks Adam that has happened due to various things, but I'll still post info requested as a matter of course.
From the Router:
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.5 / 7.5     
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 387 / 2,567 
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 35.5 / 67.5
also
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 264,683
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 202
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 84
BTSpeedTest:
The Download Speed is the average rate that was achieved during this test.')">achieved during the test was - 2.14 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds Notes:
If your download speed lies in this range then your connection seems to be working fine.')"> is 0.8 Mbps-2 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 2.26 Mbps
The Download Speed is the average rate that was achieved during this test.')"> achieved during the test was - 0.29Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
Thanks for your help.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Blooming 'eck!
If that attenuation is correct (you must be a long way from the exchange), God knows how you are managing to sync as high as you are.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
loklok
Grafter

Hi Jelv,
Actually I am only about 300yds from the main exchange. My real worry was that someone had hacked into my line and stolen my bandwidth.
Cheers.
Huh
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

If you have had 8Mbps speeds previously you have now got a severe problem with your line, that attenuation would be for a line length of several miles. Is the phone working correctly, no audible noise on the line? it could be a single leg disconnect, broadband can still work with a break in one of the wires. I don't think a SNR reset is going to help you, the line fault needs to be fixed. Smiley
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Right, there's something not quite right here, but I can't see exactly what has caused it.
Did anything change on or around the 10th October to do with your phone line? Did you notice any other problems about this time (other than the speeds dropping)?
Could a new device (such as a digibox connected to a phone line) have been installed?
I ask as we might need to arrange an engineer for you, but I need to be sure that everything internally is OK. I've seen new equipment boost the loop loss which I wanted to check this first.
Tony
ps, your phone line is testing ok and I mention the 10th October as this is when your profile dropped.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
loklok
Grafter

Hi again,
We had engineers in on the 9th October to change some electical sockets and install new wall power sockets. Some new ones were installed behind the computer desk and pc etc plugged into these new sockets. Previously I was using a internet multi-plug with the system. No new equipment has been bought and afaik the phone line was still ok afterwards but this is when the pn connection dropped to what I am getting now.
As the pc wasn't moved and the work seemed to be done without any problems it now seems that this could have caused it.
Thanks
loklok
Grafter

Further information ?
Previously I was a customer with 24Talk for my phone line and when and I opted at the time to keep seperate bills when PN took them over. In May/June this year I asked for both package to be combined, and also asked that my bb conection stayed at no lower than I had had previously. I joined PN in 2008 and had an 8Mbps connection.
After the 2 accounts had been combined in May/June this year I got the confirmation email stating
Your Plusnet account details
------------------------------
Broadband Product: Plusnet Unlimited (Contracted)

Estimated speed: 2.0 Mbps
This is an estimate of the line speed you'll get.

Why was my line speed dropped from 8 Mbps to 2 Mbps when I requested that it be kept the same as before? I was assured over the phone at the time that this had not changed but obviously it had.
Why?  Angry
I know it seems strange that I only just remembered this but due to illness I hadn't noticed this at the time. But it still remains that I was given false information when combining accounts.
Just thought I would add this.
Thanks
loklok
Grafter

An update to this problem, a few days ago I installed different extensions and have the following info from the router:-
Uptime:        0 days, 22:44:54
DSL Type:  G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:    1,176 / 22,047
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:  0.00 / 105.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:  11.5 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:  4.0 / 9.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:  7.0 / 3.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):  TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):  0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):  11 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):  0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):  0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):  23 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):  NA / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down):  NA / 60
HEC Errors (Up/Down):  0 / 38
and this from btspeedtest:-
Download Speed (Mbps): 3.14
Upload Speed (Mbps):  0.87
Ping Latency (ms):      27.00
And from PlusNet estimated line speed.  12/12/2014 15.00
Member Centre
Telephone number:
Phone exchange:
GRAVESEND
Estimated line speed:
18Mb (This may vary between 17Mb and 20.5Mb) - Checked on 2014-12-07 00:12:50
Current line speed:
19.4 Mb
As there is a big improvement is there abything else I need to do to get my speed back up to what I can actually have? or is there something that can be done at pn end?
Thanks
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

That is a huge improvement!
All you should need to do now is log in to your router, press disconnect and then connect. The faster speeds should start after that.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
loklok
Grafter

It certainly is Chris, this is the result after disconnect/reconnect cyle:-

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed 18.37 Mbps

0 Mbps 21 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 18.37 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 19.45 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.89 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.89Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
Well pleased with that  Shocked Smiley
Thanks all
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

That looks fantastic, I'm a bit jealous now as I get less than half that where I currently live Sad
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.