Did you mean: 

line attenuation

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: line attenuation

Quote from: craig
Hi
Just noticed that as soon as son no 2 switched on his pc which is hard wired to the router, the noise margin dropper like a stone to 1-2 db. Could this be caused by the network cable going through the same trunking as the phone cable? Angry
Very possibly.
You should connect the router to the master socket using as short a cable as possible and preferably using a double shielded cable such as this http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=4408
Then connect to the PC using a CAT5e Ethernet Cable network cable such as this http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/Specifications.asp?ProductID=1175
You should ensure that the router cable is kept well away from possible sources of interference.
craig_p
Grafter

Hi
Ive tried it in the master socket but as the router is hard wired  with cat 5 cable from the back of the master socket, I think it might be a router fault but i will try  it again just in case. I dont have another router to try but the cable you mentioned might be the way forward. I just dont like spending money I dont have to (typical Yorkshireman) LOL .  Thanks again for your help.
Craig
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Would you like to provide more details of the layout as it sounds very odd
A diagram would be great (if you go to additional options when you post you can upload a jpeg, jpg, png or pdf file)
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: craig
the router is hard wired  with cat 5 cable from the back of the master socket,

Or a cabling fault.... Roll_eyes
craig_p
Grafter

Hi
its very simple.  I have an extension socket wired using cat 5 cable into my study where the router is. All other network cables come though the loft and down the wall to the router through  some plastic trunking.  All seems ok other than this noise margin.  I have just ordered a new cable to connect the modem to the socket to see if that helps.  As the router is 2 1/2 years old, i wonder if it could be that?  I will  re wire the extension socket this weekend via a different route to see if that helps.
Wink
Oldjim
Resting Legend

With the extension - how many wires are connected - two or three
craig_p
Grafter

Just the two Jim
i had taken out the bell wire long ago from the whole system and it seemed to help a bit.
In the big scheme of things its not too important but you know how these things GET TO YOU Angry
I might try re setting the router tomoz to see if that helps