cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

last chance plusnet

stormchaser2005
Grafter

last chance plusnet

ok so after 5 years of no problems and now 2 months of getting nowhere including one failed engineer visit that I will be billing plusnet for I am almost at the point of no return. I am tired of your  dreadful ticket system and the 4 day wait for a response and customer disservice that can't be bothered to read back through ticket notes so that they are in fact up to speed on the issues I am having. It seems if you want a response you have to go through this forum otherwise you get shoved to the bottom of the pile and ignored. Ticket number: 91928396. I have changed the landline handset, tried a new filter and today switched that to a filtered faceplate, swapped the router for another identical one that was sat at the back of the cupboard although straight out of the box. Can someone check if there is now a loop fault showing with the new handset. BB is STILL dropping out but seems to be limited to when I get incoming calls. The only thing I haven't done is changed the 15 year old master socket which I believe I am not actually supposed to do anyway. The loop occurred with the old handset plugged in but not once it was removed but the drop outs continued even when only the router was connected via the test socket yet the latest response says it is my equipment......  Angry
28 REPLIES 28
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: last chance plusnet

Hi, sorry about your problems. Out of curiosity, were you told what the value of the loop reading was? Was your old handset one which had Caller Display facilities (even if you weren't using them)?
Are the drops on the BB happening everytime you have an incoming call?
Who do you pay line rental to? What did the engineer do when he attended, I wonder why he didn't change the Master socket  Do you have a Master Socket like the one on the left?
stormchaser2005
Grafter

on 24th september it showed this:
Profile Info: WBC 576K - 1M Medium delay (INP 4) 6dB Downstream, UC Low delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)
Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 10.3 17.5
SNR Margin: 5.6 29.0
Errored Seconds: 0 0
HEC Errors: 0
Cell Count: 41 41
Speed: 1252 1150
Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 21568 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 17254
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 24721 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 499
Indicative Line Quality: G Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 86400
CLT: Failed LOOP
NIC: Pass
I was advised to disconnect everything except the router and plug it directly into the master socket which I did. This cleared the loop but there were 11 drops in 72 hours so obviously didn't solve the problem. Then an engineer was booked for 17th october as due to work I cannot have any time off until january and this was the only day I could accomodate an appointment although it meant losing half a day of my last holiday this year.
The engineer didn't bother to show up so I cannot comment on what he would or would not have done.
I then updated PN and got  a response which basically said I had a loop fault and the engineer would never have been sent because of this so they knew he wasn't coming and couldn't be bothered to tell me. I had plugged my handset back in the morning of the appointment to be sure that I wouldn't miss any calls coming in  in case there was a problem. Its a standard handset, no display but it is about 10 years old.
No mention of the loop was made previsouly and it wasn't until I went back through the thread myself that I spotted it was there, I'm not really technical. The latest response gave me this info:
KBD
Profile Info: WBC 160K - 24M No delay (INP 0) 3dB Downstream, UC No delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)
Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 8.5 14.0
SNR Margin: 7.6 3.0
Errored Seconds: 0 1
HEC Errors: 0
Cell Count: 16 16
Speed: 1131 22678
Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 21568 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 17254
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 86400 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 28779
Indicative Line Quality: G Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 1016

Copper Line Test
Circuit ID: CBUK91898793 Service ID: BBEU13373013
Telephone NO.: NA Test Executed On: 21-10-2014 15:37:29
Test Outcome: FAULT - Loop (Rectified) DTR: T024
Copper Test Details
A to E B to E
Capacitance: 46 NanoFarad 46 NanoFarad
DP Line Length Estimate: 461 Metres DN Line Length Estimate: 461 Metres
Celerity: 20 dB Line Loss:
Line Stability:
Fault Report Advised: Y
Service Level: 2

SummaryProblem Explanation: [NF03] The Copper Line test has failed. MFL :- (CA)
Resolution/Recommendation: BTW cannot progress this fault as the root cause is the PSTN failure. Please report to your Copper Line Service Provider.
An engineer would not have been dispatched due to the CLT failure with CA code = Customer Aparatus

Yes my socket is like the pone on the left in the photo although I don't think it says open reach but BT? It seems to drop on every incoming call, not immediately though, about 5-10 seconds after. The BB light flashes and then it goes off and then comes back on red. It doesn't seem to happen on outgoing calls and its not the 1571 service causing the problem as that has always been there and it will reconnect even if I leave a  message.
ETA;  CDS also said there was no problem with the line from the exchange to me and my line rental is paid to PN
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Does it drop when there is an incoming call if there is no handset plugged in at all?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
stormchaser2005
Grafter

yes, it drops even when only the router is plugged into the master socket through a filter
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

That means the most likely cause is a fault on a card in the exchange.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
stormchaser2005
Grafter

according to plusnet its my equipment. My speed has been strangled from 7 meg to less than 1 and I am struggling to use the internet at busy times so watching a film can be hard work. I have a MAC I just want this sorted before I go
Anotherone
Champion

Ah, I'm not sure that it can be certain it would be the line-card. Rectified loop is common line fault and it could be the master socket or it could be the line, but such faults can be intermittent as well to make life damned awkward.
I can only guess that unluckily when a repeat CLT was done, the fault wasn't showing.
So repeat CLTs will need to be done to "catch" it.
I'm wondering if when you are called on the landline, the calling party is getting what's called "ring-trip" - the ringing stops before you pick up the phone (they also get an answer signal (which leads to call charging when not inclusive).
Anotherone
Champion

Sorry, also forgot to comment on the speed, the line was banded as a result of all the drops - this is done automatically by the exchange DLM (Dynamic Line Management). Nothing to do with Plusnet. What speeds are you currently getting?
Can you check your Current Line speed (Login required)
stormchaser2005
Grafter

the only thing that was different where the loop was concerned was I had disconnected then reconnected the handset so it showed as a fault then didn't but then when checked again it was a fault and it does state customer apparatus so given that my handset was older I figured changing it wouldn't be a bad idea. I just tried calling the landline on my mobile to see if that happens and it doesn't. The old handset had a lot of interference when plugged through the same filter as the router but not if plugged alone into the test socket. The new handset is fine regardless of how it is plugged in.
Yes I know why the speed was reduced but that isn't much help to me when I am paying for a service that I am struggling to use.
stormchaser2005
Grafter

thats an interesting link as it says this:

Phone exchange:
    HARVINGTON
Estimated line speed:
    17Mb (This may vary between 15.5Mb and 19Mb) - Checked on 2014-09-21 19:21:41
Current line speed:
    19.7 Mb
yet I only have 1meg and sometimes this drops down to about 0.8. I am on plusnet unlimited and I have no idea when the exchange was changed to that sort of speed as we were told it wasn't going to happen.... but then we were also told we weren't getting fibre and suddenly its here
Anotherone
Champion

What's your current sync speed? I wasn't sure from what you'd posted.
You could also run the BTw Performance test (ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test.
Do a Copy and Paste of the results and post here (no need to grab an image).
stormchaser2005
Grafter

I have no idea about sync speed or where to find it? All I know is I wasn't aware that faster speeds were now available here or when they were introduced as I was under the impression that I could not have more than 8 meg. I know my line has been limited to 1 meg because of all the drop outs

FAQ
Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed
1.15 Mbps

0 Mbps 1 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.15 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-1 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 1.01 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
1 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

Anotherone
Champion

OK the line is still banded. If you have the patience to wait in the queue, I'd ring up, refer of course to the current ticket, tell them there's still an intermittent fault on the line and when it's there it's causing the BB to drop everytime the phone rings. You have changed your phone, filter and modem/router so you know it's not your equipment causing the drops. As a result the line has been banded and the current speeds are unacceptable, so will they get the banding removed until such time as the fault can be dealt with. If they can't remove the banding immediately (ie an order has to be process by BTw and will only happen Monday) then ask for a Ine Reset which can be done immediately in most cases. If you have trouble with the agent (some know jack ....) ask for the supervisor.
Be prepared for banding to get re-applied in the meantime if you get a lot of drops, but it shouldn't be as severe in the first instance.
btw, what modem/router(s) are you using?
stormchaser2005
Grafter

tbh I have lost all patience. I have had questions closed without being answered, been told there isn't a problem, then an engineer that couldn't be bothered to show THEN  when I told them there was still a problem they blame me. Its been 2 months, I have literally had enough of it. The only test of customer service is when you have an issue and on this occasion plusnet have failed miserably. It seems that they are more interested in promoting themselves on television to lure in new custom and those of us that have been here for years are of no interest. I see a lot of talk online of BT and how bad their CS is with their indian call centres but frankly at the moment plusnet being uk based makes no difference at all, they are every bit as bad. I posted on here in desperation as it seems you are more likely to get a response  Sad
its a technicolour router TG582n
ETA I was told last week that I needed a phone engineer not a BB engineer and its ok cos they are less likely to "not show up" this was after they told me it was my equipment which then begs the question do they even have a clue wtf is wrong with my broadband? Or are they just clutching at straws. Either way it makes no difference as I told them in september I only had one day I could accommodate a visit and they failed to show so my only option now is january as they don't work weekends. This would make it a total of 4 months with a product that is of little use to me