Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

emails

tonycollinet
Grafter

Re: emails

Working for me now.
Point for plusnet - why don't you update the service status when doing work like this. It is the first port of call when somthing doesn't work -and I only saw the work announcement by chance.
If I'd loggged on after 11:00 last night, and had problems, I'd have gone straight to service announcement, and there would have been nothing there  even though you are doing planned work.
Surely that is what service status is for - as well as unexpected probelms???
Be3G
Grafter

Mike: please calm down, getting irate doesn't help anything.
Tony: plenty of advance warning was given about the maintenance - a service status post was made about it on Thursday. Interestingly though, it's not showing in the e-mail service status category... did someone slip up there? Huh
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Mike, I was genuinely puzzled by the point you were trying make when you were so precise about the exact time it went down last night. To me, a post such as "to hasn't come back up after the overnight maintenance" would have been appropriate.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Mav
Fixes: 516

Just caught up with this thread - been busy a while.
All seems fine now.
Quote from: amcbride
Seems to be ok I had been changing passwords, as originally thought my passwords were incorrect. Now I seem to have all the passwords back to what they were before I started messing around with them. Many thanks for speedy fix.

I remember doing that the first time I saw this problems some years ago. Got into a right pickle  Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@Be3G
It's showing in email for me, the link you gave was for service status rather than planned maintenance, try this one.
http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2&support_action=maintenance&ispservice_id=email
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I wonder how many people realise that clicking the spanner gives you different information to the other links? ( I didn't until I tried to find out how Chris got to the page he linked)
cjags
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Connecting to relay.plus.net to send some emails and got this email back...
5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'relay.pcl-ipout02.plus.net [212.159.7.100] is currently not permitted to\nrelay through this server. Perhaps you have not logged into the pop/imap\nserver in the last 30 minutes or do not have SMTP Authentication turned on\nin your email client.'

Has been working OK up till now.
Be3G
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
I wonder how many people realise that clicking the spanner gives you different information to the other links? ( I didn't until I tried to find out how Chris got to the page he linked)

Indeed, I'd proffer that if I've not realised it in all the seven years I've been with PN then it's not terribly clear. I just thought the spanner icon was an icon to indicate planned maintenance, not a link to a special page. Still, I know now I guess.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

OK, if neither Thomas nor I realised that the spanner linked to a different page I'll change the question: Is there any user who knew that clicking the spanner linked to the planned maintenance notices?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

No I just clicked this link and it told me nothing about no e-mail service http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2
tonycollinet
Grafter

Quote from: Be3G

Tony: plenty of advance warning was given about the maintenance - a service status post was made about it on Thursday. Interestingly though, it's not showing in the e-mail service status category... did someone slip up there? Huh

Not by email though - which means the 90% of customers (made up statistic but probably close) who don't regularly visit the plus net web pages will not know about it. And even if they did, why on earth not put something on the service status. That is what it is for. If the email is not working , then the service status should say that, and give the background info. Even if it is planned. Hell, especially if it is planned.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I received two emails about this - one Plusnet mailbox and I also have subscribed my gmail mailbox (subscribe to email at http://usertools.plus.net/status/email.php). I saw it on the RSS feed http://usertools.plus.net/status/status.xml, and it is there on the service status page (click the spanner beside email). It's also in the service status archive at http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/ and on Usenet in plusnet.service.status.
I'm not sure what else you expect them to do!
My only complaint is that it's not obvious that you have to click the spanner.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
My only complaint is that it's not obvious that you have to click the spanner.

Must admit i knew(but only because in the first 12 months of using PN i had nothing but BT issues and was checking it wasnt PN.)- but i agree would only take a minute for PN to add a legend to the bottom stating the spanner was a link.
hop
Grafter

Interesting... I needed to send an email after midnight on Friday (!) and I couldn't find any status saying what was wrong with IMAP and webmail.
Didn't know about the spanner thing either.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Has anyone else just seen a funny 5 minutes with email collection failing again?