cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connection keeps going down

moira
Dabbler

connection keeps going down

Over the past week the connection keeps going and the lights go off on my router. then sometimes I just get a red light then 5 minutes or so its on again.
what is happening? Do I need a new router box please
6 REPLIES 6
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: connection keeps going down

HI moira,
can you tell me which lights are going off or red? How is your router connected to the phone line? Are you using an extension cable/socket?
Jojo Smiley
moira
Dabbler

All the lights are going off. In fact it all went off now. the power button goes red. It is connected to the dsl via line going up to the phone
moira
Dabbler

I havent got an extension cable to the main electricity supply.  The phone line is connected to a plug like socket and this continues to the phone line. The router is 18 months old but never has this problem before
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi moira,
Make sure the power supply in the back of the router is fully pushed in as I once had this problem and it turned out it wasn't pushed in far enough - even though it looked and felt like it was. Smiley If not then maybe it's time to get a new router. I could send you one of ours. You wouldn't have to pay for it unless you left us within 12 months and it's just £4.99 P&P.
Jojo Smiley
moira
Dabbler

I do check the back and it is pushed in but I will check it again. Its been ok for 18 months without checking it.  I am hoping to move so dont want to commit myself for another 12 months so how much would a new router cost or could I buy a store bought one please?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI moira,
We charge £44.99 including the P&P or you can get your own. Just make sure it's ADSL2+ compatible and if you're going to buy a 2nd hand one beware that if it's been used on another ISP they can sometimes be locked to that service (much in the same way that mobile phones are). If you get one and need help setting it up we'd be more than happy to help.
Jojo Smiley