cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

booting router

kevanne7
Dabbler

booting router

Will somone please help a greenhorn, to boot my router do i switch it off at the plug [mains] or on the gateway restart the router. which opion gives the best results Thank you Kevan
9 REPLIES 9
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: booting router

If you restart the router by turning off the power, then turning it on again, it is likely that the DLM at the exchange will record this as a dropped (or unstable) connection which might lead to target noise being increased with a consequential reduction in connection speed.
On the other hand restarting using the Gateway "Pick a task…" option should tell the DLM that the restart in intentional so it won't be logged as a connection drop. So this is the better approach, but always use this facility sparingly, best performance results from leaving the router connected continuously.
If you are going to turn power off it is best to log into the Gateway and disconnect from Plusnet first.
David
kevanne7
Dabbler

Hello. Thank you very much for your advice which even to me was clear and concise Once again thank you{ I wanted to use capital letters but forum rules Kevan
Stumpy21
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

If you have the TG585v8 router, as supplied by Plusnet, I have found a good way to do a resync -if that is what you are after - without causing any problems with the DLM is to use the "DSL resync" button within the DMT software - download here: http://www.2cent.de/dmt/v7/dmt.zip
For setup information on the DMT software, and other useful information go to http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/DMTv7.htm
Derek
GreenGiant
Grafter

Hi Stumpy,
Having read through the DMT options am I correct in thinking we are still unable to adjust the S/N margin on the 585v8 or has anything changed/have you tried it? It would be a useful option to have a play with!
Hi Kevanne,
Maybe I'm the odd one out, [and I really don't see why it should be this way], but I find that an on/off with the rear switch works best for me every time and I get a better connection speed than the "disconnect, restart gateway, reconnect" in the router software. However unless you have had the digital line management turned off on your line I wouldn't do it more than once every few days/or unless the router is locked up, etc or Mr BT may get annoyed and start adjusting your S/M margin or banding you, and you really don't want that belive me!
So, no, don't use the rear switch any more than necessary as in theory I believe it should not make any difference.
Regards, Bob.
Stumpy21
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: GreenGiant
Hi Stumpy,
Having read through the DMT options am I correct in thinking we are still unable to adjust the S/N margin on the 585v8 or has anything changed/have you tried it? It would be a useful option to have a play with!
Regards, Bob.

You are correct, the option to adjust the S/N margin is not available.
I also received this reply, from a member of the Plusnet team, to a similar question
Quote from: Alex
The router must be compatible with DMT Tool.  Unfortunately the Thomson 585v8 is not compatible.

Derek
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Just out of curiosity why were you needing to reboot the router?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
kevanne7
Dabbler

Hello Adam. Thanks for your interest.the reason is that my connection went up to just over 4000 from just over 3000 {I wsa that pleased i sent email thanking plusnet } A few days ago back down to 3000 ish for no reason. I admit i not well up with computers but after reading about router problems on this forum ihoped that rebbting might help I know that you should not turn routers off because it could cause a lowering of speed I asked for advice and was very pleased at everybodys help so thank you all again Kevan
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@Kevan.
That sounds like the DLM might have decided to try a lower target noise margin on your connection (which will increase sync speed), but a few days later decided this caused too many transmission errors so increased it again (restoring the original sync speed). However without knowledge of the router stats this is just guesswork.
Have you a record of router stats for the relevant period? Information on how to get and post TG585v8 router stats is in my post here.
David
David
kevanne7
Dabbler

Hello David, thank you for your comments. I do not have any record of router stats but i am very fortunate in that even at 3000 ish for what i use the service for ie i player {not a lot} email.web browsing etc the speed is enough I am 69 and retired so time does not really matter All i asked for is a good steady sevice which Plusnet is supplying for the reasonable fee.  But once again thank you for your interest and help Thank you Kevan