cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Router

paulby
Grafter

Re: Wireless Router

The Speedtouch modem will work - you'll need to change the username and password though (don't forget the @plusdsl.net bit of the username!).
Also remember to uninstall the Speedtouch software when you get a router as you won't need it.
You'll also need to open Internet Explorer and go to Tools>Internet Options>Connections and select "Never Dial a Connection" (but only when you've got your router!).
You can also have a look here.
When you get your router from PN just follow the instructions for an ethernet connection (unless you decide to go the wireless route!).
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Also remember to uninstall the Speedtouch software when you get a router as you won't need it.

unless you are using an operating system older than XP.
another point.
You should always set up a router wired and then set the WiFi on the router to be WPA security enabled.  That will stop the nasty drive by robbers nicking you internet time  Smiley Smiley
paulby
Grafter

@pierre_pierre
unless you are using an operating system older than XP

If he's using ethernet he'll not need the speedtouch software regardless of his operating system. 
The fact that he's using a speedtouch modem would suggest that, if he's using an older OS, the relevant USB drivers have been installed.  The drivers for enabling USB on older OS's are completely separate from the driver software for the modem (which can safely be removed). The USB ports will continue to work.
I agree with your comment on wireless.  However, if he's using a wired connection, he'd be better to disable the wireless completely.
chrisandnic
Dabbler

Jameseh - could you please organise to send me a wireless router then please? Many thanks.
James
Grafter

Sure, are you okay with the £6.99 P&P?
chrisandnic
Dabbler

Thanks James, but I think I am going to stick with my Speedtouch for a while and see how I get on.
I may change my mind when I realise I can not get it to work.
I am due for my phone line to be activated today so I will let you know very soon !!!
Tongue
James
Grafter

Okay, keep me posted Smiley