cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi speeds maxing at 5mpbs compared to 60mbps

faruk786

Wifi speeds maxing at 5mpbs compared to 60mbps

my wifi recently started to cap at 5mbps and wouldnt go over, can someone help me with this problem as my phone line is also facing troubles

10 REPLIES 10
G6JPG-0
Rising Star

Re: Wifi speeds maxing at 5mpbs compared to 60mbps

Wifi only - i. e. if you connect the computer directly to the router with a cable, do you get a much higher speed?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@faruk786 

Unless your phone line is working correctly you will have broadband problems.

Report a phone problem using the mobile bot. See: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 260

@faruk786 wrote:

my wifi recently started to cap at 5mbps and wouldnt go over, can someone help me with this problem as my phone line is also facing troubles

This suggests a phone problem.

First thing to check: Is your phoneline clear? Dial 17070 (preferably from a corded phone), select option 2. Once your phone number is confirmed, there should be silence on the line except for the regular 'Quiet Line Test' message - any other noise, report a PHONE problem via: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/phone/

If the phone test passes, report a broadband problem via: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/broadband/

Let us know the result - if the tests come back as clear but you still have a problem, we need to investigate further.

The above assumes you still have 'normal' landline connection - if you have a SOGEA (internet only) one, just use the second link to report a network issue.

John
paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

If you use a web browser to connect to your router (details on the back!) then you can see the current connection status, which will include the current line speed. That relates to the speed of the broadband link between your house and the internet. If it is lower than what you normally expect, then start with power-cycling the router - leave it off for 30 seconds - after that it takes a minute or two for the link to go active again

Wifi connections can get limited in several ways: (a) the actual broadband is slow for some reason; (b) your device has connected at a low wifi speed (there's several 'flavours' of wifi, if it connected using a slower 'flavour' then it will be slow. In that case, get near to the router, then turn off the phone wifi for 30 seconds, then back on again: that might help); (c) the phone just can't work that fast.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 260

@G6JPG-0  / @paul_blitz  from the information in the OP, this customer has an issue which is most likely within the OpenReach network, so I doubt either of your suggestions will be of much use. Difficult to be any more precise/certain, as they have not responded.

John
faruk786

i can confirm that there is a problem with the phone line as i am currently waiting on an engineer to come round to fix it tommorow

G6JPG-0
Rising Star

Looks like you're right. Pity the original post talked about "wifi", as it sounds as if it's nothing to do with the wifi.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@G6JPG-0   No, the clues were there if you know how to spot them, as @Baldrick1  and @jab1  did, your response was not helpful.

G6JPG-0
Rising Star

Not helpful to this poster, no. Perhaps might encourage other posters to title their "help me" posts better (-:

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@G6JPG-0 

You should appreciate that not all customers are technical and have never used a wired Ethernet connection. To them, their Internet connection is referred to as their WiFi.

The OP was very helpful in advising that they also had phone problems.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'