cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why PlusNet?

itlity
Grafter

Re: Why PlusNet?

I was with PN a long time ago and left when Anytime became limited. I went then to BT using their Highway ISDN services.
And a few years ago, I came back as I could eventually have BB in my area. PN package was excellent value for money and support was still same level as when I joined with dial-up service.
Allowance/Monthly price ratio and the easy access to support -sales and after sales- were my decision criteria.
snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I was looking for my first broadband ISP (in 2002), and had either had bad experiences or had heard about bad experiences with the "biggies" like BT, Tiscali, AOL etc.  So I surfed around, and came upon ADSLguide (now thinkbroadband.com).
Then it was a question of price, good reputation online, proper email mailboxes and the facility to change them along with aliases (I have a domain name with a different company and wanted to do things with email from this), the fact that it was easy to find out every possible detail about the service BEFORE sign-up - openness, website design, comprehensiveness, and the reputation for good customer service.
Interestingly, the price now is not as good comparatively, but the customer service, and the many extras - email, webspace, CGI, MySQL, community site, openness, and the continuing good reputation online, keeps me here: less good price, but I've come to learn that it is very good value (which I didn't know at the time).
My referrals probably sign-up with PlusNet because they are referred by me - they are mostly far less experienced with computers, and trust me to help them.  I do make sure they know I might be biased because of the referral credits, and I tell them that PlusNet has a good reputation versus the biggies (BT, Tiscali, AOL) particularly for customer service.  I explain that the actual technology is the same with most ISPs - it all goes through BT Wholesale.  Those that do their own research are put off by the complexity of the deals of the biggies (low price for 6 months, then big increase) and the fact that they can't easily find out more about them and don't find them open and honest.
How big is this poll going to be?!  Grin
Martin
mcgurka
Grafter

whenever I recommend, I use the sheer power and "greatness" of the plusnet topology. The way you guys do things is excellent, backed up by the best support ive ever seen from an ISP.
The business products are excellent. Enough said!
And if they still need more convincing, I can always say the length of time ive been with PN (almost 11 years) and the fact ive only ever had about 4 problems with service...
Lol! I just remembered paying for the internet connection from my pocket money, because I wasnt old enough to get an account, and my mum and dad 'didnt believe in the internet'! So cost is always good as well!
Arecibo

I've been a PlusNet customer for less than a month, arriving after suffering months of frustration with with Virgin Media. I had been a Virgin customer for almost ten years, but over the last six months or so, my ADSL Max connection had become almost unusable during peak hours.
When I looked around for another provider I was impressed with the sheer amount of information available to PN customers,  especially network performance information, and the transparent and honest way traffic management policies were laid out. I was also reassured that if PlusNet didn't live up to expectations, I wasn't going to be tied in for a 12 month contract before going elsewhere.
I have to say that I haven't been dissapointed. While sync speeds have mysteriously fallen from 8128kbps with Virgin Media to around 7104 kbps - 7392 kbps with PlusNet (and can see the exchange from my bedroom window) I actually achieve a very reasonable 5500 - 5870 kbps at all times of the day and night.
Believe it of not, that's a hell of an improvement. Normal web browsing usually slowed to a crawl in the evening, every evening, with VM, but with PN - although max speeds are a little slower during off-peak periods, my throughput speeds at peak times are now remarkably consistent with daytime speeds.
I'm a very happy bunny.
puddy
Grafter

I signed up the very first day you went live and you used to have brilliant customer service and you had a normal phone line BT number for customer support and 24 hour support helpline
I also added up to 5 referrals which gave me discount on my membership.  The only reason I stayed is because my Mrs Pays the bill and she wants to stay oh and 240 minutes free voip helps too
puddy
thehatman
Grafter

I would like something cheaper but (after a bad time a year or so ago) customer service is now responsive. I like things "just so" technically and the mainstream AOLs and TalkTalks just wouldn't be able to give me the precise attention/configuration I need.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I signed up with Force9 (dial-up) many moons ago I have stuk with Force9 & PlusNet becos of the great 24/7 Phone Support From England.
the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I suffered terribly at the hands of Orange and Plusnet got reasonable reviews so I swapped. It felt like going from the frying plan into the fire because the BB+ product was on the slide.
The thing that did it for me was these forums. It was obvious that there was a knowlegable crowd and good evidence of plusnet employees all giving rational educated answers. My main problem was Email. Orange's servers were constantly blacklisted but there was no info on what they were going to do about it. Plus's servers get blacklisted like everyones but at least you have confidence and evidence that it is being taken seriously and someone competent is going to sort it out.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Is this very humbling PN guys or just what you expected Grin
We just love ya....did you need to ask Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Neil_A
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
Is this very humbling PN guys or just what you expected Grin

*Lots* of our staff read these forums every day and it does make us feel warm and fuzzy knowing we've got some happy customers.
So many thanks to all of you for responding in this thread!
James
Grafter

Smiley
Not what I expected at all, but as Neil said, it's great to see all of these fantastic posts.
robertbeavan

Have just had my broadband switched on, and was looking to give feedback and stumbled upon this topic....
What attracted me.....
Existing user feedback
Price
Flexibility of packages
Clarity of information (answers to FAQ's etc)
Feedback so far....
Excellent... everything happened when you said it would... instructions clear... issues corrected quickly (faulty microfilter).... updates via e-mail  Grin Grin
one suggestion... as you guys are doing so well with customer feedback, have you thought about sending out a survey or feedback form once the service is set-up - perhaps one is heading my way and i'm just impatient.... Shocked 
it's just i'm a firm believer in giving good feedback when appropriate, as far too many people only get in touch when  they want to have a whinge...
James
Grafter

Hi Robert,
We actually do do this, or something similar.  We run a monthly customer satisfaction survey, which see 1 in x (I think this is 5 or 10) people that call us receiving a survey to fill in.
Chris will know more about this, I'll give him a prod with a stick.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

one suggestion... as you guys are doing so well with customer feedback, have you thought about sending out a survey or feedback form once the service is set-up - perhaps one is heading my way and i'm just impatient.

We actually have a couple of different surveys, there is one sent to you if you call the support centre and our system recognises the number you are dialling from. This is the one you can see the results from here:-
Customer Satisfaction
We also have a Rate My Service survey which you can find here:-
http://surveys.plus.net/ratemyservice
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Richard_261
Grafter

I joined Force9 on a friend's recommendation many years ago mainly because I need CGI services for my sites.
On occassions I hugely regretted joining, like when the CGI servers were 'accidentally wiped clean' and then the backups were 'accidentally wiped clean' as well.
But that was F9.
Recently, apart from the 'spam problem', I'm happy with my choice.