cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which BT to RJ11 cable/lead ?

taidi
Dabbler

Which BT to RJ11 cable/lead ?

I need a fairly long (5M) modem lead to connect my Plusnet router to the BT master socket but which one ?  I'm offered 2, 4 and 6 pin, some in flavours of plain and crossover.
Also, - as I'm connecting directly to the master socket, - is there likely to be any advantage in fitting an i-plate ?
Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9
Lurker
Grafter

Re: Which BT to RJ11 cable/lead ?

5M is not 'fairly long' in the context of your telephone line. Wink
My line is around a mile long - my last one nearly 6miles long.
Your modem only needs two conductors (2 and 5)
An iPlate might help, but generally using decent filters and detaching bell wires would be sufficient.
An ADSLNation filtered faceplate would probably be a neater investment.
HTH
mooblie
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Lurker
Grafter

That's an RJ11 to RJ11 one - the OP wants a BT to RJ11 one according to the topic title...
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 4

Lurker
Grafter

Overspecified for the job in hand though, and therefore overpriced.;)
HPsauce
Pro

Depends on what it's going near.  Wink
mooblie
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: James_G
That's an RJ11 to RJ11 one - the OP wants a BT to RJ11 one according to the topic title...

If the OP really wants a BT plug at one end, it sounds like the OP's not using a microfilter???  My microfilters have RJ11 sockets for the modem/router.  Don't yours?
HPsauce
Pro

If there are no telephones (or other devices) then you can leave out the filter and just use a modem lead - BT plug on one end, RJ11 at the other.
But I wouldn't.  Cool
taidi
Dabbler

Quote from: HPsauce
If there are no telephones (or other devices) then you can leave out the filter and just use a modem lead - BT plug on one end, RJ11 at the other.
But I wouldn't.  Cool

Could you explain why please ?
The telephone is connected via a micro-filter to a hard wired extension in another room. All I have ever used the NTE5 for is to connect the USB modem upstairs via a 15m extension cable and a standard modem lead. I just want to tidy things up when I set up the modem/router.
My main confusion was about the number of pins - the connector on the current extension cable has four, but it seems two is sufficient so this perhaps this will do the job as a dedicated modem cable ?
http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=203
The NTE5 is surface mounted in the wall against the bottom step of the stairs so I need to keep things as tidy as possible to avoid possible accidents.
Thanks for all the other suggestions/advice.