cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would cause TG582n to to lose WiFi on all devices at the same time

dragon2611
Grafter

Re: What would cause TG582n to to lose WiFi on all devices at the same time

The microwave et all does not generally affect the WiFi by more than 10dBm in this property and has never caused a dropout of WiFi
Plus there was nothing on but the devices, TV, Lights and C/H Boiler as normal, which has collectively never caused a dropout

10dBm is a pretty massive change  Undecided
TORPC
Grafter

I know its a massive change, however it has never caused any problems with WiFi Smiley
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

You can get the user.ini file by backing up / saving the configuration to a file from the router web interface. And load the configuration from the previously saved file also via the web interface.
Telnet command:
wireless radio protmode=rtscts
TORPC
Grafter

Before exploring the possibility of changing the user.ini
Would it not be wise to explore other options that can be changed easily and are known to work  1st ?Huh
For Example:
[code=Telnet file=Wireless n tweaks (TG582n only)]

Commands                                 Comments
wireless radio cdd=enabled enabled = reduce dead spots in the wireless coverage
disabled = default
wireless radio stbc=enabled enabled = Improve signal quality
disabled = default
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space%E2%80%93time_block_code
wireless radio frameaggregation=ampdu Improve throughput by changing type of header.
amsdu -- generaly most efficient
ampdu -- (Default) Better in environments of high error rates.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_aggregation
saveall Don't forget this![/code]
[code=Telnet file=Change wireless n speed (TG582n only)]
Command                               Comments
wireless radio channelwidth=20 sgi=enabled Wireless Speed 144(n)
wireless radio channelwidth=20/40 sgi=disabled Wireless Speed 270(n)

wireless radio channelwidth=20/40 sgi=enabled Wireless Speed 300(n)
wireless radio channelwidth=20 sgi=disabled Wireless Speed 130(n)  Default
saveall Don't forget this!
When in 270(n) or 300(n) mode the router is not very good at switching off the extra channels when not needed or when it may cause interference to other wireless access points.
For this reason please use these modes responsibly.
[/code]
[code=Telnet file=Disable wireless n speed]
Command                             Comments
wireless ifconfig Show wireless settings  (optional)
wireless ifconfig interop=802.11b/g Disable wireless n
saveall Don't forget this![/code]
[code=Telnet file=Force connection modulation mode to ADSL1, ADSL2 or ADSL2+  (also disable Annex M)]
A useful byproduct of this command is that it causes a resync.
ie resetting the modulation to default (ie no change) can be used to force the router to perform a resync.
Command                             Comments
xdsl debug multimode Show all enabled modes. (optional)
xdsl debug multimode config=t1.413issue2+g992.1_annex_a This forces ADSL1 (ie g992.1 Annex A)
xdsl debug multimode config=t1.413issue2+g992.3_annex_a This forces ADSL2 (ie g992.3 Annex A)
xdsl debug multimode config=t1.413issue2+g992.5_annex_a This forces ADSL2+ (ie g992.5 Annex A)
xdsl debug multimode config=t1.413issue2+g992.1_annex_a+g992.3_annex_a+g992.3_annex_l+g992.5_annex_a Disable Annex M on all connection modes
xdsl debug multimode config=t1.413issue2+g992.1_annex_a+g992.3_annex_a+g992.3_annex_l+g9
92.3_annex_m+g992.5_annex_a+g992.5_annex_m Default, all modes available.
saveall Use one of the above commands then saveall !
[/code]
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Quote from: TORPC

Cyclic Delay Diversity  : enabled
Space Time Block Coding : enabled

I saw you already had seen those commands. The user.ini editing was a suggestion to workaround the pwr config usb-controller telnet command being disabled in the non-usb firmware, which I expect is a non-issue, and that command wouldn't disable the usb controller, it would disable the power management for the usb controller. But disabling the power management options is a suggestion on npr's website for fixing "intermittent network and internet access problems". Power saving for the wireless can be disabled via the web interface.
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Cant believe I missed that on nprs site Angry  I had a good trawl around there looking for inspiration after I found the fix for the sky+ app consistently losing the sky box and refusing to find it again,  unless I forced a refresh of the skys internet connection.  Does npr mean all the commands under the pwr config? Btw, does anyone else have the issue with the sky+app losing the sky box or does it work fine for everyone else and its just my router? I needed to apply a dnla fix to get it to work consistently...
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: ejs

The user.ini editing was a suggestion to workaround the pwr config usb-controller telnet command being disabled in the non-usb firmware, which I expect is a non-issue, and that command wouldn't disable the usb controller, it would disable the power management for the usb controller. But disabling the power management options is a suggestion on npr's website for fixing "intermittent network and internet access problems". Power saving for the wireless can be disabled via the web interface.

I was not dismissing the workaround changes to the user.ini, however as it has not been proved / disproved to work atm.
I was thinking your workaround as a last resort,
since other options are available to which I was asking if they would be a viable choice to try 1st & which would be the best to try as a result of finding out what is the cause of these issue(s) so that the information can be fed back to the dev team to apply a fix or remove offending code etc
I have now unchecked (Power Reduction Enabled:) in the GUI and will see how that goes for a while
That is the only setting I am changing for now as I want to test 1 at a time Smiley
Even though npr says
Note:
There are reports that having these power settings enabled can cause intermittent network and internet access problems.
Disabling all of these settings followed by a router reboot cured the problem.
Awaiting more information on this issue.

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

That comment is probably out of date now, it referred to problems people were having with this router in the O2 forum more than 2 years ago. I believe the issue was fixed in later firmware, I've certainly seen no reports of that problem in recent times.
There's no harm in experimenting though.  Wink
Disabling the wireless power reduction has always been though of as worth while, although I thought it was now disabled by default in recent firmware.
At the risk of being accused of only skimming this thread.
I would first look at trying different wireless channels. As others have pointed out InSSider does not show interference from other sources.
TORPC
Grafter

inSSIDer does show interference from other channels (which are other sources) in the forms of
1. Overlapping Channel(s)
2. Co-Channel(s)
Not the best examples of the congestion as it it the quietest I have seen it in a long time Wink

screen capture windows

screen capture windows

screen capture windows
Using an Example of a domestic appliance that has been mentioned in this thread
It does not show Microwaves etc causing interference
However I also use WiFi Anylizer for android that confirm interference but does not tell you what item is the cause
It does however tell you what is the best channel(s) to use
I had been down the road of changing channels with my previous ISP which was described at length on their forums and on the phone support
Quote from: npr
At the risk of being accused of only skimming this thread.
I would first look at trying different wireless channels. As others have pointed out InSSider does not show interference from other sources.

As previously mentioned in post #7
Quote from: TORPC
I have been using channel 13 since approx day 3 - 4 of having the 1st TG582n and no issues on WiFi until last night.
<snip>
If I was to revert back to the default auto channel 11 it will become pretty useless as channels 11 & 6 are the most congested and always causes issues the other channels that are not quite as bad & still congested are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, & 12 which was confirmed with both inSIDDer 3 an WiFi Analyzer & also clearly shows that channel 13 is the best for my area
For Reference
By default or automatic means
ISP's like Virgin Media, TalkTalk, Plusnet , O2 etc use channels 6, 9, & 11 in my immediate & surrounding areas
Therefore I am still surprised that the most popular congested channels are requested to test with

TORPC
Grafter

I know these link to Fibre customers using the TG582n
However it is clear that the TG582n wireless side needs a major overhaul
Will PlusNet feed all the information on these boards back to the development team ?Huh
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,110884.0.html
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,108698.0.html
Most recent
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,123410.0.html
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Unfortunately I don't think we've ever discovered any useful information as to why the 582n wifi doesn't work well for some people. No wireless traffic captures, nothing from the vast number of (undocumented) diagnostic or tracing commands in the 582n. Any testing of a 582n usually involves taking the 582n in question out of the environment it performs badly in, returning it to somewhere they are known to work well, and declaring it not faulty. Or running InSSIDer to prove that all your wireless problems must be due to those other wireless networks, although the presence of other wireless networks doesn't actually prove they are the cause of the problem.
TORPC
Grafter

I have made a request for this to be looked at by PN Products Team
We will wait & see how long it takes for them to address these well known issues
This is the response I have had so far
Quote from: Chris
I read through the thread last night - totally forgot, apologies for that, I concentrated on the issues regarding the incorrect amount being taken.
It's the Products Team who deal with the hardware that we supply. I'll pass them the thread over so they can take a look.
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I will be interested in their comments.... if it was just wireless then I could just about attribute it to some interference or other oddity, but with it knocking out the ethernet as well, this points to a serious hardware or firmware issue. It seems very much like the firewall has blocked all traffic.  I have disabled pwr management via cli, and sorted the dnla issue that stopped the sky app working. Things have been stable at the min. Cant remember this happening on the 8.x.x.j firmware.
I have my new billion router now bug happy to try any testing, or send tge router to plusnet for analysis.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@TORPC
The router supplied meets the basic requirements of the majority of users and allows PN to keep prices down. Supplying a better router would obviously mean PN had to recoup the increased costt somehow and risks making them uncompetitive.
What do you think they should do - supply the same sort of router as the premium suppliers like Andrews & Arnold?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
TORPC
Grafter

@Jelv
I am not saying that they should supply premium router such as your suggestion
All I am saying
Is that the router, regardless of price etc, which is sent out as fully working from either manufacturer, place you do business with IE: in this case it is obviously PlusNet that sends them out
Should be
Fit for Purpose an a daily weekly monthly basis especially when less than 3 Months old,
It after 12 months then need I say any more Wink
For all we know since there others that have their TG582ns fully working, there could be a faulty batch that needs to be recognised.