Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird issue with master socket

CapNcaveman
Grafter

Re: Weird issue with master socket

Thanks again Purleigh
Y'knw Ive actually forgotten what the hell i was meant to be doing... Roll_eyes
I tried the bt speedcheck after getting connection and it said FAILED, please try later..or words to that effect.. So I will try it again now and see if I get a result. If i do get a result then I will do 2 more over the next couple of hours.
If i get another fail then I will be back!

Of course then i will do the other 2 points you asked me to do, thanks alot, much apprieciated, Cavie
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rules ]
Sorry Oldjim..I been naughty of late!
As to my issue.. just wanted to say that 1st test on BT speedcheck given me 5299mb speed which is almost twice i was recieving before, and after the test was complete I rememberd that I have a splitter in upstairs!..so would this test still worked correct?
But I wont get my hopes up yet until the other 2 tests been completed..see you in about 2 & half hours
CapNcaveman
Grafter

Right, My 3 tests are complete and if I can post them here I will, but wont do that until someone says I can. I copied and pasted them to notepad, cos im stupid!!
So I did what you asked purleigh
Just plug the router into the small ADSL RJ11 on the filter/splitter - and see if you get a broadband connection... which worked ok! but just to clarify I did it correct <- You asked me to put in the original wire which connects my router to the ADSL splitter?
Now plug the telephone into the remaining phone socket on the filter/splitter - and again see if you get a broadband connection....which again worked out ok! but again just to clarify I did it correct <- to put the wire from earlier test (your quote at 14:02) back into the back of my handset and into the splitter to then retest this connection?

Cheers, Cavie
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You can either copy and paste from Notepad - the easier way - or covert it to a pdf and post using the Additional Options which is probably unnecessary
Anonymous
Not applicable

So you have both your router and phone connected with their original cables to one of your two filter/splitters, and that is itself plugged into the TEST SOCKET behind the faceplate, AND you have a working phone and a working broadband connection ?
CapNcaveman
Grafter

Hi purleigh,
 Yes that is correct, and both are working via the test socket
And here are the results from the 3 tests i did on the test socket..Thanks Oldjim for the clarification Smiley
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
5299 Kbps

0 Kbps 7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 5299 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7616 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6500 Kbps

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Download  Speed
4416 Kbps

0 Kbps 7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 4416 Kbps
Additional Information:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Download  Speed
2525 Kbps

0 Kbps 7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2525 Kbps
Additional Information:
I removed the info about contacting your ISP if ..... and so on
Many thanks, Cavie
Edit: So from my original question it is NOW working where as before it wasn't? I am so confused it's crazy! Why is that, When I first tried the fault issue it wouldnt connect at all via the TEST socket, and I did try many times in case I did it wrong, changed over the splitter originaly too still with no effect, thats why I thought to ask the question here.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

I'm glad you finally got it sorted in the TEST SOCKET it was all looking VERY strange for a while there.
Anyway the root of your problem is here
Yes I have wires attached to the back of the faceplate (i think it was 6)

If you've got 6 wires connected to the faceplate you've got the old 'ring wire' problem. Take a look here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm. You only need 2 wires connected at the faceplate, pins 2 & 5. Once they have been removed you should see the same results from the faceplate as from the TEST socket.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

CapNcaveman
Grafter

Sorry MisterW, I again forgot to edit that info, I have 4 wires not six
In no 2: Solid blue with white stripes
In no 3: Solid orange with white stripes
In no 4: Solid white with orange stripes
In no 5: Solid white with blue stripes

This box has been on the wall all the 10 years I been living here and no one has messed with it.
So now my fault seems to have fixed itself I will pop out tomorrow and get a router to see if my connection speed will become more stable, because I want to watch HD but cant cos of the bandwidth issue.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Ok, so maybe I wasn't clear. Even though you've on;y got 4 wires, you still need to remove the wires from pins 3 & 4. Pin 3 is the ring wire and with that connected it will be acting as an aerial and picking up interference. You only need 2 wires for any extensions, pins 2 & 5.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

CapNcaveman
Grafter

Hello MisterW
Sorry for the delay, i was cooking  Embarrassed
I have removed pins 3 and 4 now.
So now this is done i will do another speedtest on BT to see if any improvemnet.
And should i do 3 in total again?
And if all is good after that shall i take my adsl splitter with both the phone and broadband and put it back into the front faceplate rather than leave it open
Many thanks, Cavie
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

So now this is done i will do another speedtest on BT to see if any improvemnet.

It won't make any difference while you're connected to the Test socket but when you put the faceplate back, the results should then be similar to those in the Test socket.

Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote=CapNcaveman]I will pop out tomorrow and get a router to see if my connection speed will become more stable, because I want to watch HD but cant cos of the bandwidth issue
I wouldn't bother with a different router, as actually your stats are not too bad for an 8Mbps connection, and streaming HD video on standard ADSL is never going to be particularly great.
So some ideas to try first -
1) You could leave your router plugged into the TEST SOCKET for at least 72 hours (without interruption or switching it off), and after that time you might be lucky and see the "IP Profile" rise to 7150Kbps because of the better signal conditions, and if that happens then that is the fastest that your current line will support.
2)  See if a good quality replacement filtered faceplate will fit your phone master socket wall box,  I would recommend this - http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php.  This will give you the very best connection, isolate your extension wiring, and remove the need for your plug-in filter/splitter.
3) Check to see whether your broadband can be upgraded to ADSL2 (up to 24Mbps), because then you might have a better chance of streaming HD video without buffering,etc.  Try entering your details here http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker, then look at the [Summary] and [BT 21CN] tabs to see what is available to you.

So as I said, don't buy a new router yet, until you have done the above.
Hope that helps  Wink
CapNcaveman
Grafter

Hi all,
 So yeah just done another test before I read your last comment and its rolling at 4261kbps, so as you rightly said, not worth the hassle! As to my router I never switch it off unless I stay out overnight which these days not going to be a issue :).
I will look into the new faceplate after the 72 hours in the TEST socket.
And there is NO current timeframe for the ADSL2 rollout for my area Sad
Thank you all for helping out ol' Cavie,
Edit: sorry me being stupid again, does it come with a fixing tool (the new faceplate) I have read the description and see a words saying  'supplied complete with machine and self taping screws' is that the tool i need to have?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

It comes with 2 types of screws because the BT sockets have different screw-holes, threaded inserts (brass or similar) usually on older sockets and plastic holes mainly on newer ones, just use the screws that are most similar to the ones holding the existing face-plate on (they'll just be longer versionos to accomodate the thicker face-plate), tool-wise, just use a standard screwdriver (as you probably used to remove the existing faceplate).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
CapNcaveman
Grafter

Hi, walker23
  Thanks for the update, I will check back in 72 hrs and find if my connection is still going strong. Cavie
CapNcaveman
Grafter

Hi all,
  Update on my previous issue. Seems like my connection has stabled out and it is keeping a steady 4-6 mb rate now. after 30+ speedtests (can post if you like)on test socket  and apart from a few dips down to 1 mb for a few hours which i put down to rush hour everything seems good. Then i put the faceplate back on and it is still reading good and taken 10+ ,(able to  post) So possible causes to my problem was wires in the back of faceplate not needed and removed and possible interferance from that.  I have not added the new faceplate yet being tight on doe but if I do get a repeat of this issue that will be my first starting point, thanks for the link for the faceplate website.
I have added to a fav page as i never forgeet.  Embarrassed
Cheers all,
Cavie