Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usual download speed query!!

Jimsky
Grafter

Re: Usual download speed query!!

Looks like the engineers have won the  Grin
Thankyou to The Plusnet staff for sorting it!
I'll monitor the results over the next couple of weeks just to check there is no drop off
Cheers everyone
Jim
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

@ Anotherone - It's still a Lift and Shift if it goes into another port although it is something we have to specifically ask them to do.
@Jimsky  - Excellent news!
Jimsky
Grafter

Undecided
Have I spoken to soon?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi jimsky,
Looks like the profile we're seeing is improving, I hope that's only a blip but if you keep seeing it happen or it's still ongoing I'd definitely update the fault ticket with that information. Hope it is fixed and works well overnight, if not I'll make sure to get the fault pushed back tomorrow morning for you.
Cholek3
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
@Cholek3
I take it from the way that Adam's posted that you've already added the missing information to the ticket.
If I'm mistaken, you can update the ticket and attached the .jpg speedtest results to the ticket (rather than using the links)

Yes, you can, but for some reason I could attach only 1 file (and there was 7 .jpg). So I posted link, but also attached .pdf with 7 screen shots. Smiley I have also got reply:
So that we can investigate your fault further we need to arrange a engineer visit. Please reply to this message with 3 available timeslots for an engineers visit. The available timeslots are weekdays either between 8am & 1pm or between 1pm & 6pm. If the fault is with your internal wiring or equipment a charge of £60 will be applied

What equipment are we talking about? 60 quid? We took router out of equation. Modem is supplied by Open Reach, but it isn't mine, is it? Is there other equipment I am responsible for?
Here is a photo of my main socket, should I give it a try an disconnect those 2 "unused" cables, before engineer comes?
Regards.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

No real need to worry about those cables as long as the other ends aren't connected to anything or shorted out or to earth etc.
But if you want to be happy, then remove the lower faceplate but not the top vDSL plate and leave the modem plugged in undisturbed.
The two lots of wires may be connected to the back of the removed plate. If so, just gently pull the wires vertically out of each terminal, just coil them in pairs (blue pair, orange pair) separately for each cable and tuck them back out of the way at the rear of the socket, or remove the cables completely if they will pull out without disturbing the rest of the socket.
If they seem to be connected to anything else then leave it for the engineer to sort out as they shouldn't have been connected anywhere else at installation of the Fibre. Or if you want them pulled out and they wouldn't, when the engineer unplugs the modem to do some tests, ask him if he'd pull them out.
The £60 remark is just the standard clause to ensure that everyone has carried out the tests and checks that Faults have required. It's not really applicable with a recent Fibre install as you've pointed out. The Modem is Openreach's, you've checked direct to the modem, the router is under warranty anyway, so no worries.
Cholek3
Grafter

Just took front plate off, there was obviously two wires connected to it. There was plenty of wires on the back of the main case so I cannot even tell if those to cables are connected or not. I think I will leave it for engineer. Thanks Anotherone, as always very helpful.
Anotherone
Champion

You can safely remove those two wires as you are not using the cables or any extension.
Cholek3
Grafter

Do you mean 2 wires for phone? The thing is, I cannot see any screws, so I could at least take the whole case off the wall. I think they are behind OpenReach panel? If I could take that off, would be a different story.
Anotherone
Champion

I think you better provide a picture so we can be sure we are talking about the same thing!
Cholek3
Grafter

Photos attached. I removed Open Reach panel accidentally. Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

Oh dear
Quote from: Cholek3
I removed Open Reach panel accidentally.

Well I hope it hasn't messed up your BT IP Profile  Roll_eyes
The first picture (0593a) is the relevant one, except that the wires connected to the back of that plate aren't in the picture. Not to worry, let me phrase it like this - if the only socket in the house that you are using or want to use for the phone is the one on the front of that plate, then you can take the wires off the back of it (they don't feed the plate - they feed the remote socket). The plate is fed by the moulded plug on the rear of the plate that goes into the test socket that's exposed when the plate is removed. Hope that's clearer now  Wink
Cholek3
Grafter

I got it now. Orange and green wire on the photo are connected to the back of the front plate.
And yes, IP profile change slightly, from 74.54 to 73.59.
Anotherone
Champion

Yes, nasty non-CW1308 phone wiring, maybe even alarm type wire, yuk. Just gently pull the wires vertically (with respect to the terminal) out of the two terminals and either coil at the back of the box or see if the two cables shown in your reply #49 will pull out from the box.
Cholek3
Grafter

I might have a problem, although everything seems to be ok with my fibre. I just got another laptop to hand, so I thought I gonna test it. Plugged it in using same cat5e cable, (also) Vista showing 100Mbit/s connection, I run the BTW test and what.... 60 odd mbps download speed. I am glad with that, but I just got confirmation that engineer visit has been booked for Friday. I am going to cancel it, because there is no point now. By looks of it, it was software issue (with Vista), wrong traffic management? I hope I won't be charged for that.