cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the Technicolor TG582n in Bridge Mode

starfluf

Re: Using the Technicolor TG582n in Bridge Mode

Thank you so much for this solution trouty500!!! I've spent the last couple of days trying to get the TG582n to bridge to my RT-AC66U router. I used a similar CLI script found on another site without any luck. However, yours was just the job (I'm running v8.4.4.J). Brilliant, thank you! Smiley
Richard
Quote from: trouty500
Thank you soo much, three nights trying this the llc issue was the one! all working now. below are my settings in case anyone else is struggling. only line which is different is the encaps line!

ppp relay flush
ppp flush
eth flush
atm flush
atm phonebook flush
saveall
atm phonebook add name=BrPPPoE_ph addr=0.38
atm ifadd intf=BrPPPoE_atm
atm ifconfig intf=BrPPPoE_atm dest=BrPPPoE_ph  encaps=llc ulp=mac
atm ifattach intf=BrPPPoE_atm
eth bridge ifadd intf=BrPPPoE_br
eth bridge ifconfig intf=BrPPPoE_br dest=BrPPPoE_atm
eth bridge ifattach intf=BrPPPoE_br
service system modify name=DHCP-S state=disabled
wireless radio state=disabled
saveall
marcusj

I actually reversed the procedure as I had really bad experience in terms of consistency in speed. Felt connection speed sometimes dropped really low. Since I returned to factory settings, speed is back to normal (not great, but normal ...).
Haddock

Hi,
New customer and trying to bridge my TG582n to use with an Airport Extreme.
I used Terminal and Telnet (I'm OSX) to send the script as shown above - all seems fine but once completed the router no longer lights the 'internet' light.
Tried it twice, and both times had to do a hard reset.
Can anyone offer any advice?
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

What version of firmware is running on the TG582n?
Seems like a lot of ppl are having trouble lately with the original telnet commands to convert their TG582n to bridge mode.  I wonder if the problems only appear when using v10.2.x.x firmwares?
Perhaps try this alternative method which involves uploading a template from Zen internet.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,129767.0.html
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Haddock

Thanks for your reply - I'm on firmware 10.2.2.B.
I'll have a go the way you suggest using the Zen Template tonight.
Regards
Haddock

Quote from: zZz
What version of firmware is running on the TG582n?
Seems like a lot of ppl are having trouble lately with the original telnet commands to convert their TG582n to bridge mode.  I wonder if the problems only appear when using v10.2.x.x firmwares?
Perhaps try this alternative method which involves uploading a template from Zen internet.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,129767.0.html

Hi - Managed to upload the file ok, and selected the template from the router however once complete I have exactly the same situation as when i manually configure i.e. the Broadband light but no internet light.
Anyone from plusnet able to assist here?
Regards
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 402

the Broadband light but no internet light.
Are you expecting the Broadband light on the TG582n to be on ? it won't be on in bridge mode. It is only a modem , the internet connection will now be made on your Airport using a PPPoE connection.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Haddock

Hi - thanks for yoiur help.
Doing it either way the Broadband light is on but I have no Internet light - do you mean the Internet light will never illuminate in bridge mode?
I did connect the Airport and pretty sure there was no internet but it reported a double NAT so may have gone off track.
Regards
dick:quote
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

do you mean the Internet light will never illuminate in bridge mode?
Yes, the Inertnet light ( on the TG582n)  is meaningless in bridge mode. In this mode the Airport must make the Internet connection using PPPoE with your Plusnet username/password

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Haddock

Great, thanks again - I've got it working now however I have an 'IPv6 Relay Error' reported by the Airport which disappears if I change the ipv6 configuration to 'link-local only'.
Not sure quite what this means?
dick:quote
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Me neither I'm afraid. I'm not that up on IPV6, maybe I ought to be!.

ochristmas
Dabbler

In case it helps - this is what I did to get my Technicolor TG582n into Bridge Mode and connected to ASUS RT-N66U router.
1. Wire connected a laptop to asus router
2. set the router's WAN connection type to PPPoE ( page 64 of manual ) and put plusnet username &password in the Authentication section.
3. router then sits there trying to connect (which it can't)
4. open terminal connection to modem
5. pasted the following commands:
ppp relay flush
ppp flush
eth flush
atm flush
atm phonebook flush
saveall
atm phonebook add name=BrPPPoE_ph addr=0.38
atm ifadd intf=BrPPPoE_atm
atm ifconfig intf=BrPPPoE_atm dest=BrPPPoE_ph  encaps=llc ulp=mac
atm ifattach intf=BrPPPoE_atm
eth bridge ifadd intf=BrPPPoE_br
eth bridge ifconfig intf=BrPPPoE_br dest=BrPPPoE_atm
eth bridge ifattach intf=BrPPPoE_br
service system modify name=DHCP-S state=disabled
wireless radio state=disabled
saveall
I did have an issue that "wireless radio state=disabled" wasn't recognised but ignored that.
6. Connect LAN port 1 of the TG582n modem to the WAN port of the ASUS router.
That should be it.
Hope that helps.  Big thanks MisterW and the various forum threads for helping.
dubstonfarm

Hi,
I know this is an old thread, and I apologize for bumping it, but I just wanted to make sure this was the correct method for what I wanted to do?
I have been using a Netgear DGN3700v2 Modem / Router to wirelessly distribute my internet around the house, however, yesterday I bought a NETGEAR R8000-100UKS R8000 Nighthawk X6 - AC3200 Tri-Band WiFi Wireless Gigabit Cable Router from Amazon.  I know this is a cable router, and as such not technically compatible with my ADSL connection.
What I want to do is connect the phone (internet) line to the Technicolor TG582n and then put the internet signal from that (via ethernet?) into the Netgear R8000, and have that wirelessly transmit internet around my house.
Would the above Telnet commands be what I would do?  Also, any ideas how to Telnet on a Mac?
Thanks
Stewart
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

The most simple way is to use your new router as a access point.
1) On the tg582 modify the dhcp server to use (for example) 100 to 250 (in the 192.168.1.xxx subnet)
2) Set the R8000 ip address to something outside these numbers (say 192.168.1.99), turn off DHCP on this device.
3) connect one LAN port of the tg582 to a LAN port of the R8000
You can then connect to the R8000 wireless networks.
Ian
dubstonfarm

Quote from: ian007jen
The most simple way is to use your new router as a access point.
1) On the tg582 modify the dhcp server to use (for example) 100 to 250 (in the 192.168.1.xxx subnet)
2) Set the R8000 ip address to something outside these numbers (say 192.168.1.99), turn off DHCP on this device.
3) connect one LAN port of the tg582 to a LAN port of the R8000
You can then connect to the R8000 wireless networks.
Ian

OK I will give it a go.  I have never actually plugged in the TG582, so any advice on how to achieve 1 (above) would be gratefully recieved.