cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using 2704n router for fibre contract

Surek25

Using 2704n router for fibre contract

Hello,

I was meant to receive a visit from an engineer to set up fibre in my new home yesterday. As for covid19 advice, I was meant to receive updates if that had to change. No visit and no update but ok.

I am desperate for WiFi so my question is, will I be able to use my old ADSL router from the previous house once my service becomes active (hopefully) tomorrow?

Thanks,
Bartosz
5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Using 2704n router for fibre contract

@Surek25  Welcome to the forum.

Sorry no, they do not work on fibre. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Baldrick1

@Surek25 

It's possible that your installation has been delayed and Plusnet have failed to advise you. Put your phone number in here and read through the response. Look for a mention of an open order and it's programmed completion date. If so then this will be the date that Openreach have currently planned to complete your connection.  Plusnet normally send out routers to arrive just before this date.  https://my.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker

Moderator and Customer

Surek25

Thanks @Baldrick1 I will try to find out what my landline is from my landlord and use the link. New home and no home telephone so not as straightforward!

Rather disappointing I cannot simply get a date from CS, but I guess worst comes to worst I am still within contract cancellation period.

But anyway, thanks again and hopefully that check works.
Baldrick1

@Surek25 

That's not good. You need to currently have a phone number for this to work. Do you have a BT telephone socket in your new home? Even if it's dead you might still be OK. If you need to have one fitted then you're going to be disappointed as Openreach will no longer enter your property to install one until this is all over, currently until June but subject to review.

Moderator and Customer

Surek25

Sorry if I am confusing things, but that's because I am confused myself. I am not quite sure what needs to be done because it is my first fibre.

There is already an openreach branded socket here, so I don't think an engineer is absolutely necessary? The previous tenants also had Virgin fibre installed but I am aware this is a different type of installation.

When I said I am not sure of the landline number, it is because I don't know a way to check what it is without using a home telephone to call my mobile!

Thanks for trying to help and I hope this clarified...