cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage charts

Heanorman
Dabbler

Usage charts

Hi, Just been viewing my usage, and i see yesterday, i used 594.45 MB. Most of it is down as email. Also a bit for gaming.
Bearing in mind the only email i use is asking the occasional question on ebay, and i have never done any gaming ,i was wondering how accurate the headings  of the usage chart are.
Refering to yesterday, i listened to New Zealand radio for around 4 hours, and i wondered if that had gone down under the email heading.
Any comments welcome.  Cheers Graham======
ps, is listening to n/z radio a heavy usage activity.
4 REPLIES 4
leeanthony
Grafter

Re: Usage charts

Cant remember the correct technical words here, but streaming radio all depends on the quality of the radio.. 320kbps quality for 4 hours would probably soon add up, see if they have different ip u can use to listen at a lower quality or something if its taking to much usage up 60-100 is fine for a radio imo
scootie
Grafter

The break down of traffic type is not that acrute as you have found out.
You can use bandwidth monitors like the one i use below in the capture, which gives a live read out of throught in use and also a breakdown of total useage by diffrent apps for any given time period.
Thoe if your using your web browser to stream the radio that will get put under your browsers bandwidth use
Also when loading webpages net limiter 2 tends to be poor at giving throughput reading thats right as it will spike above your line speed but on constant throughput sources its very accrute
James
Grafter

Re:Usage charts

Hi there,
It sounds like we might be seeing your radio traffic as email.  That in itself shouldn't be a problem as both streaming and email traffic is handled in the same way by our systems.
As others have mentioned, any form of streaming, be it audio or video, can quickly stack up your usage.  I'd expect 4 hours of okayish quality radio to stack up about 200MB of traffic, more so if it's a good quality stream.
Heanorman
Dabbler

Hi,
Thanks folks for help. Looks like its back to radio Derby-LOL- Sad  Cheers Graham