Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Fibre Extra - Download speed now at 40Mbps instead of 70Mbps

FIXED
Mr_Morpheus
Grafter

Unlimited Fibre Extra - Download speed now at 40Mbps instead of 70Mbps

Hello,

I switched to Unlimited Fibre Extra on 19/04/2021. Since then I have consistently been getting download speeds around 75Mbps but that changed sometime around July 1st 2022. I now get around 40Mbps.

Initially I thought it was some sort of temporary glitch but it's still happening. So this afternoon I checked my PlusNet account details via the portal. Under "Your Products" it shows Unlimited Fibre Extra inc. Line rental. To the right of that, it shows Estimated download speed 35-40Mbps. That's not right.

Can somebody in the Help Team please investigate.

Thanks very much.

Steve

13 REPLIES 13
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Unlimited Fibre Extra - Download speed now at 40Mbps instead of 70Mbps

@Mr_Morpheus The Help Team is a bit busy at the moment. What realtime speeds are you getting? Sight of the results of BT Broadband and the 'Advanced Diagnostics' from BTW Performance Tester would possibly help.

John
Mr_Morpheus
Grafter

Hi @jab1,

Thanks for responding.

As I mentioned in my original post, for the last week or so my download speed has dropped to around 38-40Mbps whereas previously I had been getting consistent download speeds of around 70Mbps. In fact, I had been getting those higher download speeds since I switched to the Unlimited Fibre Extra contract on 19/04/2021.

I am using the same hardware now that I was using when I started the new contract.

I have not changed any router settings during this time except for a firmware upgrade approximately 8 months ago.

The current download speed doesn't even come close to the minimum guaranteed speed in the contract.

There is definitely something weird going on because when I log into my account on the PlusNet portal, my product details on the home page are now showing an estimated download speed of 35-40Mbps. Why has that changed? That speed estimate makes no sense because it applies to the Unlimited Fibre service, not Unlimited Fibre Extra.

Initially I thought they'd switched me from the Unlimited Fibre Extra service to the slower Unlimited Fibre service but the product information on my account clearly states that I am still on the Unlimited Fibre Extra serviceIt's as if someone has downgraded my service on the local exchange?!?

The contract I took out last April states the following...

Your broadband speed
Here's all the speed details you need to know.

Unlimited Fibre Extra has an average speed of 66Mb download and 18Mb upload.

At peak times, we estimate that you'll get the following speeds on your line:
Download: 60 - 72Mb
Upload: 17 - 18Mb

Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 54.6Mb.

Your Minimum Guaranteed Speed is an important number, find out more about what it means in our guide.

Here are some additional off-peak speed estimates for your line
Maximum download speed: 75Mb, Maximum upload speed: 18Mb, Minimum upload speed: 17Mb

See what I mean?

I've had over 12 months of consistent download speeds around 70-75Mbps then a week ago it suddenly dropped down to around 40Mbps and it's been like that ever since. Something has definitely changed and it's nothing I've done at my end.

I take your point that the team is busy so I'll give them another day to respond before I phone PlusNet direct.

Thanks again for trying to help.

Steve

Mr_Morpheus
Grafter

Hi @jab1 ,

I forgot to attach the results of the advanced diagnostic test.

Here they are (attached). It does look as if I have been downgraded to Unlimited Fibre from Unlimited Fibre Extra according to the "acceptable range of speeds" in the report.

Steve

jab1
Legend

@Mr_Morpheus That does look strange. if you would like further comment - your choice - is it possible to post the results of BT Broadband , and your modem/router stats - obscuring any personal data on both?

EDIT: Your line profile does not get altered in the way you say (except by total accident), this is most likely due to a line/equipment failure.

John
Mr_Morpheus
Grafter

Hi @jab1 ,

Here are the results of the BT Broadband Availability Checker (attached).

Is there anything useful in there?

Steve

jab1
Legend

Fix

Yes, Steve - there is a problem somewhere - guessing from that last report it is somewhere in the BT/OR infrastructure. The last check reports you are seeing above 40Mb/s to the master  socket, but this way below your lines capabilities - and the hand-back threshold.

I suggest you use the auto-bot and report a fault: Report your broadband problem | Help | Plusnet 

John
Mr_Morpheus
Grafter

Hi @jab1 ,

I've clicked on that link you provided and reported the fault via SMS. We'll see what happens now.

Thanks for taking the time to help with this. I'll let you know how it goes.

Steve

jab1
Legend

No problem, Steve - it's good to be able to help those who help themselves.

John
Mr_Morpheus
Grafter

Hi @jab1 ,

Well the bot suggested that I restart my router and if there was still a problem then reply with ADVISOR, so I did.

I received a call within 10 mins. I explained everything. He agreed there was an issue and so he booked an OpenReach engineer visit for tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks John.

Steve

jab1
Legend

@Mr_Morpheus Glad the semi-sleeping system that is left of PN customer support finally can see what I did earlier - but unfortunately now the PN brand is merely the budget arm of BT Retail, you are reaping the benefits. In the old days (not that far back), this would been picked up and actioned within 24 hours max. I  know the Help Team are claiming to be exceptionally busy, but that is probably because 50% of the support function has been 'let go' in the name of 'efficiency'.

John
Mr_Morpheus
Grafter

@jab1 I'm just relieved that PN customer support is still in Sheffield and hasn't been farmed out to India. On the rare occasions that I've had to speak to PN support, I've always found them helpful and easy to talk to. My experience with offshore support (BT and Virgin) has been less than stellar but that was several years ago. They've hopefully improved since then.

Steve

Mr_Morpheus
Grafter

Hi @jab1 ,

Well the OpenReach engineer arrived earlier this afternoon.

Before he connected to my master socket he explained that he'd checked the fault logs and I'd had 900 drop-outs on my connection at the end of June. I was on holiday at the time but it does explain why I lost remote access to my IP cameras.

It also explains why it dropped the speed to 40Mbps in an attempt to stabilise the connection.

Anyway he reset the connection using his gizmo then ran some tests on the master socket and said he was constantly getting around 80Mb so he replaced the socket with a new one which now has the filters built and then switched my router back on. I am now getting 75Mbps so I'm a happy man!

Thanks again John for your help. Much appreciated.

Steve

jab1
Legend

Cheers, Steve. Thats two happy campers today!😀

John