cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn a extension socket into a master socket.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Turn a extension socket into a master socket.

This topic is still running on the TBB website, lots of comments but no nearer a solution  Crazy
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4214245-turning-an-extension-socket-into-a-fibre-socket.html?...
It is starting to go off topic now -
I am curious, you mentioned that you were an experienced installer, of what ?

Can we start a poll?
I'm going to guess at a kitchen installer.

Grin
picbits
Rising Star

How hard can it be for an experienced installer to extend a single twisted pair ?
Heck - I can do a couple of hundred CAT5/Telco sockets a day.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Bearing in mind he wasn't too bothered about his speed, but you won't lose too much anyway on CW1308 instead of Data extension cable, ffs all he needed was one of these http://www.clarity.it/xcart/product.php?productid=16218&cat=&page=1 and just to sort out his split wiring at the NTE5a and extensions. Blue+white trace on 2, White+blue trace on 5 at the NTE faceplate and all phone extension sockets. Use the Orange pair on the vDSL plate terminals on the top left and at RJ11 extension socket. Simples  Roll_eyes
Edit: from reading the start of the TBB thread I see he didn't know what a twisted pair are - experienced installer were his words in the OP  Shocked
Edit2: Oh, and make sure the wires are all correctly connected in the "little white box"  Roll_eyes Arghh it's not a BT77A connector box , it's got Jelly Crimps, well he needs a BT77A to replace that lot with and connect them correctly.
DaveMcC
Grafter

experienced installer were his words in the top of this Thread
experienced installer in what? (Sky box)
I did not read all 3 pages, but it is very very easy to move the master socket, two screw drivers and may be a drill, that is all that is needed
I am not an experienced installer, but I do know how to do it, but ain't saying here
Dave
Anotherone
Champion

You DON'T move BT Openreach's Master socket !!!
I see from the pics linked over on TBB there's another "little white box" just to the right of the NTE5a and nobody's asked to see what's in it. I'd guess it's where the BT i/c is crimped to a cable to the NTE5a but I'd want a pic of inside to see to be sure.
Strike's me that as he hasn't got a clue what he's doing, the Homeplugs he's ordered are his best solution.
Ronski
Rising Star

All he had to do was convert his extension to a data socket, by moving the wires from the extension terminals to the unfiltered terminals, and all within BT's T&C. He may have lost some speed if the cable wasn't very good, but he said he wasn't bothered by that.
Quote from: JamieDanjoux
I'm an electrician not some fancy telephone engineer, but I do have experience installing cables etc...

I'm sorry, but if he can't rewire a telephone extension to a data extension then I wouldn't let him near my wiring!
Anotherone
Champion

I was thinking that some while back Ronski (about him coming near my wiring!), but that Dual Modular job would do the job nicely if you wanted phone there, but if he just transferred the wires he have unfiltered on all his sockets - not a good idea, especially as one lot of wires to one socket might have been the the old standard untwisted cable (photo wasn't clear enough). So using the Blue pair for phone, and Orange pair for data having sorted out the split pair etc at those jelly crimps, with a BT77A. As I said, in the circumstances, Homeplugs are the best solution for him  Wink
Ronski
Rising Star

I'm sure he said the extension that he wanted to change was wired direct from the master, but who knows, it all looked a bit of a mess and his explanation certainly was!
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

As Ronski knows I am now not moving my master socket.  I have been to Currys/PCworld and got some homeplugs. The guy in the shop said they were even faster than moving your master socket and save you a lot of trouble. I said to him does it have a speed drop? He said depends on your electrical wiring. I said got mine all re done last year part of house refurbishment as some electrics were faulty so Its working like a dream!!! Achieving 60megs and more!!
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Anotherone
Champion

I also know that as it should be apparent from what I posted as I'd read the TBB thread - to what I assume is the end!
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

well at least i'm happy with my homeplugs and good job I re wired my electrics in my home, new everything from cables to sockets and new light switches. It took a hell a lot of weeks to complete refurbishment and then decided we should get infinity/FTTC as a treat.  But then me and the wife were at work when FTTC were installed so I left instructions for neighbour which I assumed he would see then give it to openreach engineer to fit a Data Extension Socket upstairs. But obviously not. I don't blame him as I left it at last minute and didn't tell Kyle (neighbour) anything about the note. So oh well  Sad
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Anotherone
Champion

Never mind then, you are happy and that I suppose is the main thing  Wink
Ronski
Rising Star

Glad it's worked out well for you and hope you don't  mind a bit of friendly banter.
One thing to bare in mind, for others is that the guy at PC world doesn't know what he's talking about, or is not aware of the full facts.
Homeplugs will often have adverse effects on FTTC by causing interference (radio hams hate them),  and depending on which type you get they may well simply not be fastest enough to cope.
Also, not usually a problem in residential properties, but in commercial properties they can have problems working if used on rings mains which are on a different phases.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I see! Don't have a radio ham but I have a DAB. Also its achieving pretty good speeds Smiley
dick:quote