cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trees fouling BT line

twentythree
Grafter

Re: Trees fouling BT line

I was under the impression that this fault had been escalated to the complex faults team at the beginning of the month. Is this not the case?
If not - where was it escalated to?
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

@twentythree
I really sympathise with you here.  I am going through the same issues almost as you.  My Topic Post 'at my wits end'  We have now resorted to changing the phone.  I have replaced with the most basic phone I can find.  I live in hope, but wont hold my breath, will suffocate Wink
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 223

twentythree,
So far the fault has progressed without the intervention of complex faults although the issue was escalated to push through your lift and shift.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
twentythree
Grafter

If this is the case, I'm totally confused - why does Matt Taylor refer to the complex faults team in his message above?
And is that the same lift and shift that didn't happen... sorry I should say, that only involved a visual inspection  Roll_eyes
What I can't understand is that an engineer who took a look at this fault saw the same errors when he plugged his testing equipment into the kit in the exchange. This seems to have been conveniently ignored after the lift and shift had no effect.
I'm happy that BT are continuing to investigate the fault but the scatter-shot approach just doesn't make sense to me. Is it because a tie-pair modify would be too expensive? Or is it because an expensive piece of kit in the exchange needs to be replaced?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 223

twentythree,
If we can get a fault resolved with out intervention from complex faults we will as it can be less time consuming. However in such protracted cases we do recommend it as it is a thorough approach. To confirm a lift and shift has taken place previously and if a tie pair modify is deemed either as necessarry or potentially helpful it will get done.
As to what happens next we'll comment on that once the engineers have completed their investigations/repairs today.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
exporters
Grafter

Twentythree, did you ever get the 'trees touching the line' sorted?
My drop outs & SRN problems I thought were sorted; sadly after 3/4 weeks when I was enjoying the service I had signed up to, it's all over the place again. 
I have just been outside and see that the o/head BT line threads its way through several trees [many branches have grown during this lovely spring] before ending @ a distribution pole to about six houses [mine included].  Hence my Q about your initial problem.
Many thanks
twentythree
Grafter

@ exporters - the trees are still touching the line and it has been confirmed that my line is indeed routed via the telegraph poles. BT haven't done any work on the overhead lines as they don't think the trees are causing a problem. Sorry to hear your problem has returned  Sad
@ adamwalker - the engineer today carried out some tests and could hear crackling on the line. He identified a fault at 220 metres but not sure what he did about this as he then proceeded to physically replace the wire between the GPO distribution box and my NTE5. I'm not sure what else he did but would be interested to find out. Following the visit the line looks surprisingly stable, which is good, however the noise margin is still 15.5 dB and the sync speed is 12342 kbps. Is it possible that I am on a banded profile? When I was first moved to ADSL2+ I was able to sync at 20000 kbps and with a attenuation of 20.5 dB on ADSL2+ I should have a much higher sync speed. If the line remains stable, should the line training be restarted?
twentythree
Grafter

Almost there now! After the BT engineer replaced the 50 year old bell wire between the GPO box downstairs and our NTE5 the noise margin has been almost perfectly flat for over 14 hours  Cheesy
However, I'm still stuck with an SNR of 15.5 dB (set by the BRAS?) which seems to be having a knock on effect on the sync speed, currently 12342 kbps. Will this change as the BRAS realises the line is now stable or can someone at PN/BT give it a nudge in the right direction?
twentythree
Grafter

Just tried a router reboot but no change to the SNR or sync....  Can someone let me know if these will change automatically now that the line is stable or does there need to be some sort of intervention by BT or PN?
stallan
Grafter

Glad to see you are getting somewhere  Smiley
Personally, I'd leave well alone for a few days. No reboots, no disconnects - just sit on your hands. It will give the exchange a chance to see the line is stable and hopefully after a few days the SNR will drop a little.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi twentythree,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you today. I've emailed the request through to get your SNR reset done, that should be happening within the next hour and should restart the training period for you (definitely the better option seeing as you essentially have a new line with new characteristics).
Please let us know if this doesn't help, I'm glad to hear that the wire has finally been replaced.
twentythree
Grafter

Thanks Matt  Smiley
Do I need to reboot the router or will the start of the SNR reset cause a disconnection anyway?
twentythree
Grafter

It doesn't look like the SNR reset has worked - no change to the SNR or sync speed. I reset the router at 6.45pm but that didn't make any difference.
twentythree
Grafter

Matt - please can you follow up the email you sent? It doesn't look like the SNR reset went through as there has been no change to my connection.
twentythree
Grafter

That did it  Smiley About ten minutes after my last post the downstream SNR margin dropped to 6.5dB and the sync rose to 17346 kbps. The upstream SNR margin hasn't really changed - 22dB - does this look right?
Just have to wait for the BT & PN IP profiles to catch up now....
I'm so relieved that this fault finally appears to have been resolved.  Cheesy