cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips for improving WIFI connection

kwack
Grafter

Tips for improving WIFI connection

I have my main computer attached to the Wireless Router via cable on the 1st floor of the house.
My Xbox and 2nd PC are downstairs and are connected via home network so that I can view pictures etc on teh TV. The connection always shows very poor performance and sometimes drops the connection
Is there anyway I can impriove trhe range/output so that the performance is stable?
Thanks
Kwack
15 REPLIES 15
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Tips for improving WIFI connection

Yes.
Where is the BT master socket/incoming line?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Four ideas -
1)  Ditch the wireless and use 200Mbit mains network adaptors - http://www.devolo.co.uk/consumer/dlan-mains-supply-network-fastest-200-mbit.html?l=en  for example http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/devolo-dlan-200-aveasy-starter-kit-2x-home-plug-av-adapters-uk-0093920...
2)  Upgrade all your wireless-G aerials with higher gain antennas - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/9dbi-Booster-WiFi-Wireless-Router-Antenna-Aerial-SMA-/360296611968?pt=UK_Compu...
3)  Upgrade your router firmware to give better wireless range - http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index
4)  If you are running wireless-G, then upgrade to wireless-N for huge range improvement. - you could do this with wireless-N access points as these will be cheaper than wireless-N routers.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Yes.
1. Place your router higher up - this may be sufficient!
2. Get an extension aerial for PC etc (with a "pigtail" kind), assuming that you have removable aerials on the PC and X-box. Check connector types before buying.
Position aerials above PC etc.
3. If you want to watch video on your TV, wireless is too slow for on demand type usage. You need some kind of wired connection.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Lorenzo48
Grafter

Quote from: A

3. If you want to watch video on your TV, wireless is too slow for on demand type usage. You need some kind of wired connection.

Simply not true anymore, although it may be your experience on a slower network.
As said above though you need to think about your arials, router position and sources of noise like microwaves, fridges TV's etc.
I moved my USB type arial from one side of my tv to the other and the signal went form 81Mbps to over 180 just with that simple adjustment, all it cost me was a USB extender cable.
Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote=Lorenzo48]Simply not true anymore, although it may be your experience on a slower network.
I would agree with that, I am now streaming DVDs at 720p (as DivX) over my wireless-G with no problems, and no noticeable slow downs for anyone else.
Also consider that BBC iPlayer streams at a couple of Mbit over broadband, which is next to nothing over a 54Mbit wireless link.
kwack
Grafter

Thanks you for all the replies. I will certainly look into these.
Just to clarify as my post may have been slightly misleading. When connecting my Xbox to WiFI the connection to download games, view films via Internet is pretty good.
It is when I link into Media centre from Xbox to PC - i.e to see pictures that the connection is very poor?
There seems to be some dis-connect here as Internet is fine but readign files from PC isnt?
Is this more of a home network setting rather than a broadband setting
This is teh first time I have set up a hom network so maybe I have missed something
Thanks
Kwack
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I think you will find that internet <-> device is reasonable, but device <-> device has a double wireless overhead.
Replace at least one leg with wire.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

kwack
Grafter

I have tried re=positioning teh router and this didnt make a difference.
Would switching to a 802.11n router help in any way or is there a cheaper way of obtainign this. I curently have a Thomson 585v7
Thanks
Kwack
Lorenzo48
Grafter

In short yes, possibly, maybe, as the 5ghz channel sits above everything else in the house, nice clean signal.
This is for N 300 not N150 though which may only be marginally better if it's noisy where you are, so look for DUAL BAND.
my TV set up was receiving 18-36Mbps on G (Router upstairs - TV Downstairs)
I got a Netgear Rangemax DGND3300v2 with 3100v2 USB Arial - on checking this morning it's manged to get 245Mbps with careful positioning out of a max 270Mbps.
kwack
Grafter

Many Thanks Lorenzo for the reply.
So if I switch to a 802.11n router then this shold give better performance as I notice that the Xbox is 802.11n also.
I notice that there are plenty of routers around the £50 - £60 mark but which do not have dual band.
Is it worth going to teh expense of getting a dual band one and if so how often do you run it in 5ghz mode?
Many Thanks
Kwack
Lorenzo48
Grafter

Ah no, not for the X box as I don't think it does 5Ghz, it will probably help but not to the same extent.
You probably only need a lower spec N router.
So you probably don't need a dual band router.
However if it is lagging on x-box live it may be due to your BB account at certain times of the day. Which package are you on?
EDIT: Just thought, download a network monitor to see if you're losing wireless packets, try and find out where the problem is before spending money. I did this once as bought a super fast Blekin a few years ago fo gaming but lag was worse, ran a packet tester and found out it was caused by unacceptable packet loss over the wireless - after that I ethernet-ed the gaming machine and just left wireless on everything else.
kwack
Grafter

Thanks for the advice.
I am on the plusnet premium package.
The Live download speeds doesnt seem too bad to be honest - it os onyl when I try to use Media centrea as an extender that the performance is slow.
Can you recommend a netowrk trafffic monitor as I woudlnt know what I am looking at
Thanks
Kwack
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would it help it the Xbox and 2nd PC downstairs were WIRED together so streaming from Xbox to PC to TV didn't go via wireless ?
If so then you might want to look at wireless bridges with built-in 4-port ethernet swtches
e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buffalo-AirStation-Turbo-Power-WLI-TX4-G54HP/dp/B000VMUIYU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF...
Using something like this gives you a wired connection between the downstairs devices, and a single wireless link to your router for internet traffic.
Make sure, before you buy, that the wireless bridge uses the same wireless encryption that you wish to use.  Many of the older wireless bridges only support WEP !.
kwack
Grafter

Thanks for this idea - teh 2nd PC and Xbox are in different rooms and teh difference in distance between the Xbox and teh main PC is probably teh same as between 2nd PC and Xbox.
Just out of interest woudl a homeplug setup work with teh Xbox plugged into a hompelug and continue using WIFI for the 2nd PC. Can these things work in tandem or so you have to put your eggs in either basket?
Thanks
Kwack