Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throttled?

deekay
Grafter

Throttled?

I've almost had enough  Angry
Latest example:
I have been recommended to use a site for binary downloads, which, I have been told, always gives excellent download speeds. So, I tried it yesterday afternoon for a 300Mb download. As with the other sites I have used in the past, download speed was 28-30 K/s. I downloaded for four hours, and the end was still not in sight.
Finished the download off this morning from the same site. The speed was 671K/s!
This 'good speed' during the morning, but dropping to 30K/s afternoon and evening has been going on for most of this year. Wherever in the world I download from, whatever time zone they are in, any day of the week, everyone is a "magic" 30K/s during our afternoon and evening.
I've never been able to use the BT Speedchecker, which we are supposed to use, as it always tells me that it doesn't recognise my telephone number. (I raised this on a ticket months ago, but nothing has happened).
I am certain in my own 'non-networking engineer' mind, that I am being throttled somewhere. Otherwise, why is everyone exactly the same speed during the afternoon and evening?
Why should I be at all interested in this high-speed 21CN as I can't see it improving my abysmal speeds at all?
Sorry if this sounds like a rant, but I am feeling extremely frustrated with broadband at the moment, and don't know what the answer is.
Keith
5 REPLIES 5
James
Grafter

Re: Throttled?

Hi Keith,
Are you aware that there are speed rate limits in place on Binary Usenet traffic during the peak times of the day?
This link shows the rate limit speeds:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/speed.shtml?link_bbyw_view1=speeds#Option2sp...
deekay
Grafter

Yes, James, I did know that the Binary Usenet traffic had speed limits during certain parts of the day.
However, with respect, I would suggest that there is a big difference between the 200k/s (approx) in the table you quoted and the 30K/s I am getting.
Sorry I mentioned it.
I'll shut up and make sure I do any binary downloads in the mornings.
Keith
James
Grafter

Hi Keith,
I think you might have taken my earlier post in the way I meant you too.  I was really just asking if you were aware.
Also, bear in mind that 300Kbps is actually 37.5KBps (bits and bytes).
Our tables quote kilobits per second, where there are 8 bits on as byte.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you looked at BBYW Pro? You'd see far better speeds all day:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/speed.shtml?link_bbyw_view1=speeds#OptionPro...
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
deekay
Grafter

Jameseh.
Apologies for misunderstanding your reply.
I hadn't realised that two different units were being used and that they were that low during peak times.

jelv.
A good suggestion, but I'm afraid it's not practical for me. Sad
I've been retired for 20 years and, unless that "Kind Gentleman" who lives at 11 Downing Street will finance me, BBYW2 is all I dare afford!
I'll work round the limitations of what I have, and hope that, one day, peak hour speeds will improve.
Thanks both.
Keith