Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson TG585 V8 Router - Unable to access work IPsec VPN

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Thomson TG585 V8 Router - Unable to access work IPsec VPN

Quote from: yamahagirl
Before I did the factory reset I did get an error message in the router Internet test that said that the DNS server was not accessible.

That is normal behaviour on the TG585v8, it reflects a test suite error not an actual service error. The red crosses can be safely ignored. The DNS server IPs you have are appropriate ones.
Since things are working correctly now I doubt that capturing data flow is worthwhile. However users might find a complete list of set-up instructions useful. Possibly that's mostly what is contained in the following quote but made into a line-by-line list.
I have to say I wasn't sure if it would work but the UPNP was enabled as well as the Extended Security by default so I did not touch any other setting.  I also did not need to add in my laptop to the Apps/Game for PPTP - this has been left blank.
David
yamahagirl
Dabbler

I spoke too soon - it is not working now  Sad
I left the VPN connected while I went upstairs to do something and came back down to find it had timed out.   Restarted it all again and even restarted the laptop but getting the same issue with the SSL Tunnel ending.  It is the standard Microsoft UAG solution which i think is IPsec  and not PPTP but guess the Wireshark capture may establish that?
I have downloaded Wireshark and have got the logs for the network card and SSL - not sure if it is ok to attach them on this forum or log a support call?
I did log back into the router and have attached the error log i found of the time when I did manage to connect to the VPN if that is any help.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI yamahagirl,
I can make some changes remotely on your router and see if that helps. Your router will be off for a few minutes while I do this. Can you tell me when that would be convenient for you.
Jojo Smiley
yamahagirl
Dabbler

Hi JoJo
Thank you - my router is ok for you to remote to any time today although I have changed my default password but assume you don't need that?
Suzanne
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks Suzanne that'll be fine Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's done now. Let me know how you get on Smiley
yamahagirl
Dabbler

Hi Joanne
Just logged on at home and unfortunately still no luck - the SSL tunnel session ends even before I open Outlook - do you think it could be a faulty router?  I still have the wireshark logs from the trace i did yesterday if they will help.
dick:quote
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hmm, shame. If you can attach the wireshark to a ticket then we can get it looked at Smiley
yamahagirl
Dabbler

Many thanks - I have just raised a ticket - Question #48884899
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

The link to the BT resolution is  http://preferences.webaddresshelp.bt.com/selfcare/preferences.cgi

The link says:
BT Web Address Help - your preferences
BT's Web Address Help service replaces DNS errors and searches performed in the address bar with relevant, helpful search results now provided by BT Web Address Help.
This service is currently enabled. You can update your settings below:

Doesn't seem to be anything to do with your problem!

yamahagirl
Dabbler

Good news to report -  Result - got onto my work network via my UAG VPN solution and accessed my X drive and Outlook with no problems:) 
My work IT department called me this afternoon and asked me to uninstall the old CISCO VPN software then remove the tick from the "Connect to Microsoft Exchange using HTTP" in mail settings.  There is an issue with my laptop that means noone can remote into it even though the remote access box is ticked.  Hopefully resolving that on Tuesday when I meet up with one of the technicians at work.
I hardwired in to my laptop at home rather than risk wireless as that seemed to drop out a lot and dare not try wirelessly connecting as it is quite unstable - not sure if this is a typical Thomson router issue or maybe problems with my router (which is new).  Any ideas why it might not work on wireless?
So fingers crossed it will work tomorrow and thank you very much to all those who have responded.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Glad to hear you got that sorted. Have a look here for some help with wireless troubleshooting Smiley