cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden drop in speeds following a power outage.

FIXED
napolibill
Fixes: 1

Sudden drop in speeds following a power outage.

I have had a speed problem since a power outage 4 days ago.  I had been using a Linksys WRT3200 ACM and a Draytek Vigor 130 with a Dell Inspiron 7700 AIO with Plusnet for just over a year with no problems at all.  My typical FTTC speeds were DL-38Mbs  UL-7Mbs. Following the power outage I couldn’t get any connection at all, I tried to factory reset my Linksys WRT3200 but still the Internet light kept flashing white and I guessed my router was fried, so I changed it for a Plusnet provided modem/router that was in use on another line.  I connected no problem and my speeds were DL-36Mbs and UL-6Mbs but then, after a couple of minutes, they dropped off to about DL-6Mbs UL-1Mbs.  I contacted Plusnet who said that my speeds were showing DL-36Mbs and UL-6Mbs and, in view of the slow test speeds, would send me a new router, as the one I was using might have been affected by the sudden power outage.

I got the new modem/router and installed it. On the home page it showed connection speeds of DL-36Mbs UL-6Mbs.  Initially I got speeds of DL-36Mbs and UL-6Mbs but then, after a couple of minutes, they dropped off to about DL-6Mbs UL-1Mbs.  I thought that maybe my Dell Inspiron 7700 AIO was damaged so I changed to a PC that I had lying spare.  Surprise, surprise that did the same thing.  Initial speeds were DL-36Mbs and UL-6Mbs then after a couple of minutes speeds dropped to  DL-6Mbs UL-1Mbs too.  I haven’t got much hair anyway, but I tore out what was left!

To summarise, I have speeds showing constant DL-36Mbs and UL-6Mbs from both my Draytek Vigor 130 and Plusnet modem/router web pages.  When I connect either of my PCs I get initial speeds of DL-36Mbs and UL-6Mbs which then drop off to about DL-6Mbs UL-1Mbs. I have changed computers, ethernet cables, and modem/routers with no solution to the problem, but there seems to be no obvious fault.  I now have my Dell 7700 AIO connected to my Plusnet router/modem with speeds of DL-6Mbs UL-1Mbs.  If I unplug the ethernet cable from the back of my modem/router for 10 seconds or so, then plug it back in, I get speeds of DL-36Mbs and UL-6Mbs which drop off to about DL-6Mbs UL-1Mbs after a few seconds. Can anyone help me sort this out? Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 258

Re: Sudden drop in speeds following a power outage.

@napolibill Welcome to the forums. This seems strange, but needs a methodical inspection.

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites, as screenshots, posted as pictures within the topic, not as attachments:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (Ethernet) connection if at all possible, please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS', and sight of the broadband connection status from your Hub (with the 'Username' obscured) would be a good starting point.

For the Hub One -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk

For the Hub Two -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information

It may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of your phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

If you are unsure about any of the above, please just ask - I am happy to help.

Not saying this will reveal anything, but it covers the basics, and gives us a starting point.

John
napolibill

Hi John,

Here's the photos that you suggested, hope they help! Thanks. Bill.

Broadband availability checker.jpgSummary of Performance Test.jpgBTW Speedtest.jpgHub Two Manager Technical Log.jpg

napolibill

And the quiet line test was quiet.

jab1
Legend

Very strange, Bill. From that data, you do not appear to have any major issue. One final check. Can you connect the Hub to the test socket on your master socket (via a filter), and an ethernet cable from the Hub to your laptop?

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@napolibill 

It looks like over 10 hours you have uploaded 7GB of data. This might indicate that whilst you are trying to do a speed test you are uploading a load of data, which will absolutely kill your download speed.

Leave the computer alone for a few hours to see if it settles down. Alternatively if it’s a windows machine go in to the resource monitor and see what the computer is doing. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

Very good spot @Baldrick1 . Must admit I didn't 'see' that, but it would explain a lot.

John
napolibill

Fix

Well, well, well.  That uploading sneaked in under my radar!  I stopped the Google Drive upload and bang! back to 34Mbs download. Thanks very much Baldrick for helping me sort the problem out. Regards, Bill.

jab1
Legend

Sorry I missed it, Bill. It was a bit obvious if I'd paid more attention. 😀

John
napolibill

That's OK John, you got the problem on display for some sleuth work which fixed the problem!