cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden Drop in Profile speed after a very long period of stability.

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Sudden Drop in Profile speed after a very long period of stability.

It's a long time since I've posted on this forum. After a considerable period of stability, I came home this evening to find that my broadband link had been disconnected and reconnected whilst I was out, some seven or eight hours ago. For a very long time, two years or more I think the profile on my connection has been 42.54 Mb per second with the acceptable speed shown as 40,-42.4 Mbs. My normal test speed has been over 40 Mb per second, probably something like 40.2Mbs.

This evening my test speed is currently somewhere around 30 Mb per second, (27 Mb per second just now). The acceptable speed range is now shown as 25.58-36.54 Mb per second. This morning such speed was unacceptable according to BTW, this afternoon things are different, for whatever reason, BTW seem able to set their speeds where ever they like with impunity. How can this be right?!! If I buy a pint of beer I don't expect the landlord to give me three quarters of a pint and charge me the same do I? Why should it be any different at all providing a service like broadband?

BTW have been perfectly able to supply that speed for over a year, I think nearer two years. So what has changed? I can't see any great demand suddenly made upon the FTTC service in our village, and I'm told that some people are going to full fibre which should surely take the load off the cabinets? I find drops in speed really rile for some reason, I know the service still works and there isn't much difference in how it works, but it seems with broadband speed is everything. Can you tell me if FTTP is available to my premises yet, and if not, when it is likely to be available please.

Two things really matter to me with regard to broadband, one is speed, and the other is reliability. With both those boxes ticked I am a happy person full of smiles!

14 REPLIES 14
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Sudden Drop in Profile speed after a very long period of stability.

@danludlow I understand what you mean, but I wonder if you are seeing the full picture? If you can provide the information requested below, maybe we can make suggestions.

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites, as screenshots, posted as pictures within the topic, not as attachments:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (ethernet) connection if at all possible, please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS', and sight of the broadband connection status from your Hub (with the 'Username' obscured) would be a good starting point.

For the Hub One -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk

For the Hub Two -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information

It may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of your phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

John
Edinburgh_wg
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Are you out of contract and so the broadband has reverted to the standard product (for example fibre extra to fibre)? Just a suggestion since you're mentioning the 2 years. 

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

No, I'm not half way through my latest contract, and I've been with Plusnet since William the Conqueror (almost!). Thanks for the suggestion and taking the time to reply. 

jab1
Legend

@Edinburgh_wg wrote:

Are you out of contract and so the broadband has reverted to the standard product (for example fibre extra to fibre)? Just a suggestion since you're mentioning the 2 years. 

If @danludlow was 'out of contract' his speed would (should) stay the same, but he would be paying considerably more. Your product/speed does not 'revert' at the end of the contract.

John
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for your reply, I attach the two documents that you requested.

It is very unusual to find that my Broadband has disconnected, it goes a long time without. Disconnects rarely happen, and even more rarely in daytime in my experience, other than powercuts, which we don't seem to have suffered today. I wonder if Openreach have been working locally or moved my connection? 

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

jab1
Legend

@danludlow I only see the Availability Checker, which tells me you are not likely to see FTTP for a while yet. It would help greatly if you could supply all the data requested in one post - much easier to follow.

John
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Quiet Line Test is silent

jab1
Legend

OK - but it would be good to have all the data together in one post.

John
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Sorry for that, I intended to, but the second file didn't attach. I'll try not to send reams in future, it annoys me as much as it will annoy you, I'm sure. 

jab1
Legend

OK - if you had put them as pictures they would have been easier to compare. I can't see anything in those two shots to explain the issue, so your router stats would be useful, please.

John
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Product name Plusnet Hub Two
Serial number 2138117676
Firmware version v0.06.00.12134-PN (Tue Dec 14 10:24:54 2021)
Board version R01
GUI version 1.6 19_10_2021
DSL uptime 0 days 1 Hours 44 Mins 28 Secs
Data rate 8.6 Mbps / 37.8 Mbps
Maximum Data rate 8.6 Mbps / 48.6 Mbps
Noise margin 6.4/11.6
Line attenuation 10.3/21.8
Signal attenuation 10.3/21.8
VLAN id 101
Upstream error control Off
Downstream error control Off
Data sent / received 1.9 GB Uploaded / 2.1 GB Downloaded
Broadband username
2.4 GHz wireless network name PLUSNET-H5C22T
2.4 GHz wireless channel Smart (Channel11)
5 GHz wireless network name PLUSNET-H5C22T
5 GHz wireless channel Smart (Channel36)
Wireless Security WPA2 (Recommanded)
Wireless mode Mode 1
Firewall On
MAC address C4:E5:32:15:F9:E1
Software variant -
Boot loader 0.1.7-PN (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017)

jab1
Legend

Thanks, @danludlow . from that, I am going to make an educated guess and say that you have BT/OR network fault - your uptime is horrendous and the D/S SNR looks a little suspicious.

My suggestion, therefore is that you report a Broadband fault via: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/broadband/

John
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Many Thanks  John, Will do.