cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed through the floor.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Speed through the floor.

Dont have any trouble with my thompson, mind you I dont try to do silly things with it.  If you get the free router the postage is £6.99, and you dont sign up for another year, but if you leave within the year you then have to pay its cost
killies
Grafter

Ok, I've run both modems thru the test socket with all combinations of filters and cables,  and the results are the same as I've already shown, within a cats whisker. So I guess thats a confirmed duff router.  Next stop the shop, I've seen offers on a Belkin wireless n, for £53 and a netgear dgn2000 for £70. Probably go for the Belkin, I've read the netgear runs very hot!  Cheers, Guy
Myst
Grafter

I have teh DGN 2000 and have had no issues with it Killies. On the other hand i had a Belkin (diff model) once and it was pants. also on the DGN there is an on/off button so you can turn it off when not in use.
killies
Grafter

Man I knew someone was going to confuse me.  Wink  I had just read the netgear was hot to the touch and people were trying to rig up ways to stand it on edge for better cooling. Is yours cool to the touch?  The N+ ver of the belkin got a cnet award so was leaning that way - a bit cheaper too.  Huh
killies
Grafter

Hiya, well, new router up and running. Went for the netgear - cheers myst, did a bit of background reading and belkin not favoured by many.  It was a bit of a %$@?*% to set up but got there in the end. Router diagnostic is
ADSL Link  Downstream  Upstream
Connection Speed 6336 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 31.0 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 15.1 db 26.0 db
which looks similar to the voyager. I guess I just have to sit back an wait for  my profile to get better?  Will keep updated. Ta.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Glad the basic problem is resolved. I'd do a resync around middayish when noise levels should be less (assuming no thunder and lightning) and you should do a bit better on the sync speed. It looks as though you may have  a 15dB Target SNR Margin, so if you have a nice continuous stable low error connection for a good period, you may be able to get PN to get it lowered and hence get your sync speed up to the max.
killies
Grafter

Cheers Chris?  I'm afraid you've blinded me with science and I'll have to go and read up a bit more. It's a bugger learning as you go. Is a manual resync achieved by simply re-booting? Sorry to sound dense - off to read Embarrassed
pierre_pierre
Grafter

dont know your router inside, but its normally done from that, dont disconnect the power, on the menu should be a disconnect tab, do that then back on about a minute later
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Sorry P-P that's wrong, that just disconnects the ppp session, it is a re-boot that's needed. Where one has to do several re-boots (eg when testing) a powerdown and wait several minutes before powering up is the safer way. That way the exchange DLM hopefully doesn't think you have an ongoing connection problem, and no more than 5 times in an hour to be safe, then leave it alone for the rest of the day.
killies
Grafter

cool - gonna try it tomorrow - ta
killies
Grafter

Been up and running for about 36hrs I guess, nothing much seems to have changed  Angry  .
Latest speedtest

Download speed achieved during the test was - 101 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6720 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps
Router stats.
System Up Time 23:51:08
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 162035 240644 0 456 2579 23:49:28
LAN 10M/100M 4534 0 0 6 0 23:51:04
WLAN 11M/54M/130M 249828 170416 0 2662 498 23:50:53
ADSL Link                           Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed             6720 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation                           31.0 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin                           13.8 db 25.0 db
At least someone from cs has replied to my ticket (5 1/2 days) so we'll see what they come up with!  I'm at a loss.  Guy.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It can take up to 3 days for IPprofile to update - sorry you will just need to be patient
killies
Grafter

Trying to be Jim, trying.  It has just been pointed out to me that our home phone answering service isn't working, also caller id seems to have stopped working. This could only have been in the past couple of days.  Coincidence? Surely couldn't have had anything to do with a failed router.  Guess I'll phone BT and see whats happening. Might go back to our old plug in phone.  Getting more confused by the moment - ta - Guy
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re:Speed through the floor.

Hi killies,
Have you noticed any noise on the line at all? Your connection profile history looks quite random at the moment, and the fact that bits of your phoneline have stopped working is making me think there might be an issue there somewhere. If you dial 17070 from the handset, see if you can hear any crackles or noises or anything as that may well be the cause (if there are any you'll need to report them to your phone provider for fixing, don't mention the broadband if you do).
Hope that helps,
killies
Grafter

Hi Matt,
              I've just run the silent test and sounded pretty quiet, no crackles and hums, I mean you can hear that you are electrically connected, but nothing more. There are some other interesting tests on the menu, anything worth trying?  It seems that the loss of caller ID was down to the micro filter supplied with the Netgear router. I've replaced the bt one and ID is back. Odd eh?
  Cheers,  Guy