Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed problems, down to 138kbps

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Speed problems, down to 138kbps

Quote from: ReedRichards
Any noise on the line?  You can dial 17070 then option 2 for the BT quiet line test.
Am I right that the test should be done with a standard wired phone and not a DECT type?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

You are right.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

if the DECT phone doesn't have any noise - no
If there is noise then a check using a wired phone is needed to confirm it isn't the DECT phone causing it
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Dai,
With regard to your original question, the DLM registered a sync rate of 160k yesterday at about 16:16hrs when it lowered your profile to 135. So I'm not sure what the situation was with your connection at the time, but just after 10 o'clock last night it picked up again and went back to 2000, so you should notice a big difference today.
Jojo Smiley
dai
Grafter

Hi Joanne and thanks for the heads up.  I noticed the difference in speed, but have no idea what could have caused that problem at that time yesterday.  We always used to have a higher speed of around 3-3.5M, is there any chance you could try and increase the speed for us and see if it remains?  Sorry to be a pain!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi dai,
I think it's the noise margin that's probably keeping you from getting a higher rate, so we could possibly perform a reset of that which could give you potentially another 1.5meg. However I can't guarantee that what caused the SNR to increase in the first place won't strike again and you would also have to go through the 10-day training period, but we can give it a try if you like?
Jojo Smiley
dai
Grafter

That would be great Joanne.  As I said on a previous reply, we were having a problem with our electricity supply which the electricity company were working on.  They have now rectified this, so thats my only guess of what could have caused the problem.  Can we go ahead and see if we can get the extra speed?  What do you need me to do from this end?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi dai,
I've placed the order for the reset and it usually works in about half an hour but something doesn't seem to have worked yet. I'll try i again later and if no joy I'll have to wait until the morning.
Jojo Smiley
dai
Grafter

Cheers Joanne
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi dai,
I've just done a line check and the noise margin now seems to be at 6 now but the sync hasn't increased, maybe a reboot will help. Are you connected to the master socket or on an extension?
Jojo Smiley
dai
Grafter

Hi Joanne, ive reset the router, and now the noise margin is sitting at 10db.  Im connected directly to the master socket.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI dai,
I can only imagine there must be some external noise for it to shoot up so rapidly. Don't forget the training period so stick with it. It's probably best not to over-analyse things too much at this stage (easier said than done, I know) but we'll monitor things and see how it settles down.
Jojo Smiley
dai
Grafter

No problem, appreciate your help.